PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC: Pentagon to Deploy 20,000 Troops Inside U.S. by 2011

Brad Zink
12-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Plan would dedicate 20,000 uniformed troops inside U.S. by 2011

The Washington Post
By Spencer S. Hsu and Ann Scott Tyson
updated 2 hours, 17 minutes ago

The U.S. military expects to have 20,000 uniformed troops inside the United States by 2011 trained to help state and local officials respond to a nuclear terrorist attack or other domestic catastrophe, according to Pentagon officials.

The long-planned shift in the Defense Department's role in homeland security was recently backed with funding and troop commitments after years of prodding by Congress and outside experts, defense analysts said.

There are critics of the change, in the military and among civil liberties groups and libertarians who express concern that the new homeland emphasis threatens to strain the military and possibly undermine the Posse Comitatus Act, a 130-year-old federal law restricting the military's role in domestic law enforcement.

But the Bush administration and some in Congress have pushed for a heightened homeland military role since the middle of this decade, saying the greatest domestic threat is terrorists exploiting the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

Before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, dedicating 20,000 troops to domestic response -- a nearly sevenfold increase in five years -- "would have been extraordinary to the point of unbelievable," Paul McHale, assistant defense secretary for homeland defense, said in remarks last month at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Full Article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27989275/

danberkeley
12-01-2008, 12:48 AM
So libertarians are anti-anti-terrorist now?

smileylovesfreedom
12-01-2008, 01:01 AM
They don't even try to pretend anymore, do they???

SeanEdwards
12-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Well, we do want the troops to come home from their various international bases, don't we?

I'm guessing this is not exactly what RP had in mind...

:D

DFF
12-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Patriot Act + Domestic Troops = Trouble.

On the sunny side, we still outnumber all the military, police, and politicians combined.

Knightskye
12-01-2008, 02:12 AM
So libertarians are anti-anti-terrorist now?

Huh?

thehighwaymanq
12-01-2008, 06:30 AM
They don't even try to pretend anymore, do they???

Why pretend? Most of the people in this damn country, if they ever even hear about this before they see it, would accept it with open arms. People are clueless.

lodge939
12-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Clearly, these troops are coming to kill us all.

moostraks
12-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Clearly, these troops are coming to kill us all.

:rolleyes:

moostraks
12-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Well how wonderful for the new president. Wonder how we will see this one play out? Most folks will think this is a dandy idea, without realizing what a dangerous situation it is considering the government disrespect for its own citizens rights.

Using them for border patrol is one thing but turning them loose in a city near you so they can protect from all enemies foreign and domestic puts a new spin on the issue. The military's own admission to the extent of where they want to take this mission makes this a concerning issue at best.

SeanEdwards
12-01-2008, 07:40 AM

rational thinker
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Digg it: http://digg.com/world_news/Pentagon_To_Deploy_20_000_Troops_On_US_Soil

Sandra
12-01-2008, 08:38 AM
There is one horribly fatal flaw in their plan. The countries in which a conversion into fascism occurred has no second amendment. Forcibly controlling an armed nation will need the armed nation's OK. But I think they used that tactic already, now heavily questioned. I'll bet they're thinking "Damn! we should have held off a little longer!"

Sandra
12-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Well how wonderful for the new president. Wonder how we will see this one play out? Most folks will think this is a dandy idea, without realizing what a dangerous situation it is considering the government disrespect for its own citizens rights.

Using them for border patrol is one thing but turning them loose in a city near you so they can protect from all enemies foreign and domestic puts a new spin on the issue. The military's own admission to the extent of where they want to take this mission makes this a concerning issue at best.

I really think Bush plans to act on this one. He needs a legacy.

Mort
12-01-2008, 08:41 AM
I thought we wanted the troops to come home?

Andrew-Austin
12-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I thought we wanted the troops to come home?

deploy

1 a: to extend (a military unit) especially in width b: to place in battle formation or appropriate positions
2: to spread out, utilize, or arrange for a deliberate purpose <deploy a sales force> <deploy a parachute>
intransitive verb
: to move, spread out, or function while being deployed <the troops deployed along the front> <the parachute failed to deploy>

We don't want deployed, active duty soldiers acting as policemen.

Brad Zink
12-01-2008, 09:03 AM
This is the type of situation that occurs in Third World countries, where a small group of industrialists control the central government, hoard the wealth, and deploy armed forces against the domestic population to keep them under control.

http://earthhopenetwork.net/constitution_fire.jpg

moostraks
12-01-2008, 09:06 AM
I really think Bush plans to act on this one. He needs a legacy.

I thought he thought his legacy was one of bringer of peace to the middle east.:p The man needs a reality check.

fr33domfightr
12-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I thought the Military Force to protect our country at home was the National Guard. This seems to be a clearly separate organization, which might take the place of the ATF or FBI when it comes to police actions. Just think about this for a minute, it a few years this group could be used to enforce any laws a president wants. It doesn't matter what they say they'll be used for today.

If you want to help people, we've got the Red Cross. Why military personnel?

FF

tropicangela
12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Military deployment and universal service under Obama. Oh my.

Vet_from_cali
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
rather have them here in the states then over seas getting hit by IED's

Brad Zink
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
rather have them here in the states then over seas getting hit by IED's

That's a false choice. They shouldn't be overseas getting hit be IEDs or policing the American people at home. But just wait, one day we could very well have IEDs going off here at home:

Michael Chertoff, Ministry of Homeland Security head honcho. “Our Department is 100 percent committed to protecting the people of the United States from IEDs,” said Chertoff almost exactly a year ago. “Within the Department, we established an Office for Bombing Prevention specifically to work with other federal, state, and local agencies, as well as members of the private sector, to implement a national strategy to address IED threats."

And remember, British SAS operatives have been caught staging false flag attacks in Iraq:
http://freespeech.vo.llnwd.net/o25/pub/images/SAS_terrorists12.jpg

The imperialists are focused on making the entire world a battlefield, stoking fires all over the place.

pcosmar
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
I wonder if they will be wearing blue helmets.

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/helmdon2.gif

thechitowncubs
12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
AJ is talking about this right now.

http://www.infowars.com

tggroo7
12-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Plan would dedicate 20,000 uniformed troops inside U.S. by 2011

The Washington Post
By Spencer S. Hsu and Ann Scott Tyson
updated 2 hours, 17 minutes ago

The U.S. military expects to have 20,000 uniformed troops inside the United States by 2011 trained to help state and local officials respond to a nuclear terrorist attack or other domestic catastrophe, according to Pentagon officials.

The long-planned shift in the Defense Department's role in homeland security was recently backed with funding and troop commitments after years of prodding by Congress and outside experts, defense analysts said.

There are critics of the change, in the military and among civil liberties groups and libertarians who express concern that the new homeland emphasis threatens to strain the military and possibly undermine the Posse Comitatus Act, a 130-year-old federal law restricting the military's role in domestic law enforcement.

But the Bush administration and some in Congress have pushed for a heightened homeland military role since the middle of this decade, saying the greatest domestic threat is terrorists exploiting the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

Before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, dedicating 20,000 troops to domestic response -- a nearly sevenfold increase in five years -- "would have been extraordinary to the point of unbelievable," Paul McHale, assistant defense secretary for homeland defense, said in remarks last month at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Full Article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27989275/

Domestic terrorism is the greatest threat? Wow, considering how frequently domestic terrorism occurs, I could make just about the same argument for extraterrestrials invading and destroying the country or dolphins invading land and making all humans move to the ocean.

American deaths from domestic terrorism in the past decade: 3 occurences resulting in about 3,000 deaths.
American deaths from abortion in the past decade: daily occurences resulting in roughly 13,000,000 deaths.
What exactly is the biggest threat again?

Agent CSL
12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I wonder if they will be wearing blue helmets.

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/helmdon2.gif

If I see them marching down my street in blue helmets, I'll know my dream came true (in which we won ;) ).

paulitics
12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Domestic terrorism will become a threat once the troops are here and ready to go. THis is why should never contemplate having troops here. It is a conflict of interest. The military will gain from terrorist attacks on U'S soil. What will they do without any action? I can hear Hannity right now, talking about how great the troops are once they are rounding up the domestic "terrorists" . Anyone who agrees of course is a "Great American" Any dissenter will will then be picked up and put in a re-education camp. Of course only the braindead zombies will be left by then anyway.

bigronaldo
12-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Glenn Beck spoke about it on his radio program today, too. He seems to be deeply concerned that our nation is heading toward fascism. More and more, people are starting to finally wake up. Hopefully, enough wake up before we find ourselves in a nightmare.

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/18737/

HOLLYWOOD
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Domestic terrorism is the greatest threat? Wow, considering how frequently domestic terrorism occurs, I could make just about the same argument for extraterrestrials invading and destroying the country or dolphins invading land and making all humans move to the ocean.

American deaths from domestic terrorism in the past decade: 3 occurences resulting in about 3,000 deaths.
American deaths from abortion in the past decade: daily occurences resulting in roughly 13,000,000 deaths.
What exactly is the biggest threat again?

All you have to look at are some simple facts:

How many people within the US were charged with some sort of terrorism in the past 10 years?

Now how many people were charged with some sort of terrorism in the previous 207 years to 1999?

The IMPERIAL ZIONIST FASCISTS have the plan down completely... well staged, well advertised, well coordinated.

there will be more than 20,000 troops... The National Guard of every state is overseas... wtf?

I think the mormons are the most prepared in the future Martial Law... they maintain vast amount of weapons and Ammo on a normal basis.

We all have seen Ammo sales rise in this severe recession... the wheels are turning

Lord Xar
12-01-2008, 04:51 PM
All you have to look at are some simple facts:

How many people within the US were charged with some sort of terrorism in the past 10 years?

Now how many people were charged with some sort of terrorism in the previous 207 years to 1999?

The IMPERIAL ZIONIST FASCISTS have the plan down completely... well staged, well advertised, well coordinated.

there will be more than 20,000 troops... The National Guard of every state is overseas... wtf?

I think the mormons are the most prepared in the future Martial Law... they maintain vast amount of weapons and Ammo on a normal basis.

We all have seen Ammo sales rise in this severe recession... the wheels are turning

With the troops here, it will mimic Katrina, they will order the Americans to relinquish their firearms for "security sake" and "they" will be the new watchdogs. The troops here at home is rather funny because we don't need them on 'OUR STREETS" but on our friggin borders to stop the illegal immigration. So, they will be put in our streets and this will be the precursor to having our gun rights taken away - because ofcourse, there will be an incident and the ball will roll.