PDA

View Full Version : Young Americans for Liberty is shaping up to be a killer organization

Austin
11-30-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm fortunate enough to be serving on the Financial Committee of YAL (which admittedly, wasn't exactly that difficult of a process :o) and I have to say that I am incredibly excited for the future of this organization. Jeff Frazee sent out an email a few weeks ago to all of those that signed up at the YAL web site for the opportunity to join the Financial Committee, where our current duty is to do some phonebanking for fund raising.

We had our second conference call tonight, where we were let in on some of the upcoming events of YAL. In our first conference call, we learned that we will be getting an official endorsement from Ron Paul sometime this week, likely within the next 2 days. Along with his endorsement, he is also giving a very generous donation (I'm unclear as to whether it is his personal money or if it is being transferred from a campaign / CFL) to Young Americans for Liberty. Even better, we are working in cooperation with the CFL for a list of donors to help us get on our feet.

One of the reasons I am excited for YAL is the transparency of the organization and how down to earth the leaders are. The new YAL web site will be launching tomorrow, and it already includes a flowchart illustrating the organizational structure of Young Americans for Liberty and a short bio of each staff member, and their roles in the organization.'

The new web site will be launched very very soon, but I know some of you like a preview of what's to come and will appreciate the level of transparency they already have.

Flowchart

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5571/organizationalstructurelu9.th.jpg (http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5571/organizationalstructurelu9.jpg)

Executive Committee

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6738/executivecombz7.th.jpg (http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6738/executivecombz7.jpg)

National Committee

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2750/nationalcommd1.th.jpg (http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2750/nationalcommd1.jpg)

Chapter Information

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/6225/chapter1da2.th.jpg (http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/6225/chapter1da2.jpg)

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/1316/chapter2rq2.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/1316/chapter2rq2.jpg)

Staff

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/2993/staff1sk8.th.jpg (http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/2993/staff1sk8.jpg)

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/5690/staff2oj2.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/5690/staff2oj2.jpg)

I am absolutely psyched for YAL. Expect to see more information and Dr. Paul's letter of endorsement soon!

Nate K
11-30-2008, 11:38 PM
is this focused on just college students or anyone who's young?

Austin
11-30-2008, 11:46 PM
is this focused on just college students or anyone who's young?

I'm looking for the little snippet that talks about this, but I believe you are an official member if you pay dues and are in between the ages of 15-39. However, you can be a junior or senior member if you are younger or older than they age bracket, respectively (with a $50 donation).

EDIT: Found it

Join YAL
Young Americans for Liberty is a membership and chapter organization. We operate to serve the goals, objectives, and ideas of our membership.

A member of Young Americans for Liberty is between the ages of 15 – 39 and pays an annual due. To start, dues are only $10/year.

If you are not within this age bracket, don't despair! Junior (under 15) and Senior (over 39) YAL members are welcome to join for a $50 annual donation and will receive many of the same great benefits.

danberkeley
11-30-2008, 11:48 PM
is there a website

Austin
11-30-2008, 11:52 PM
is there a website

www.youngamericansforliberty.org

However, the new web site will be launching sometime within the next two days. There is some information on there, mainly Dr. Paul's (currently not finalized) letter of endorsement. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to link to the currently unreleased web site, so that's why I provided the pictures above.

The new URL will be yaliberty.org. I'll be sure to update you when the new web site is up.

Nate K
12-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Can you only be an official member or is there free-members too? If both, what are the advantages of an official member?

danberkeley
12-01-2008, 12:10 AM
www.youngamericansforliberty.org

However, the new web site will be launching sometime within the next two days. There is some information on there, mainly Dr. Paul's (currently not finalized) letter of endorsement. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to link to the currently unreleased web site, so that's why I provided the pictures above.

The new URL will be yaliberty.org. I'll be sure to update you when the new web site is up.

Awsome-ness! Thanks.

Nate K
12-01-2008, 12:24 AM
i do like the vibes, i hope this shows the CFL what they should be aiming for.. lead by example.

I see all the chapters are on campus.. possible to have one not at college or no?

Austin
12-01-2008, 01:08 AM
i do like the vibes, i hope this shows the CFL what they should be aiming for.. lead by example.

I see all the chapters are on campus.. possible to have one not at college or no?

Based on the four rules for starting a chapter, it has be at a school of some sort. I am currently a senior in high school, and YAL National is OK with high school chapters, as long as there is official school recognition.

Frazee also mentioned tonight that the $10 dues isn't really enough to fund much of anything, rather it is to give members a sense of ownership in the organization. He really wants it to be the from the ground up, so he feels (and this is backed up by research and common sense) that having the fee, albeit small, will make people more dedicated. It's like getting something for free, versus paying for it. You're more likely to cherish the object you paid for, rather than something someone just handed to you. He noted that they will always be open to suggestions and that he really wants it to be built from the ground up.

Heck, he said if we were even in the DC area to stop by and hang out.

I'm so glad this is happening. I'm fortunate enough to be in the right age bracket so I can take full advantage and hopefully help fill the gap that the CFL is creating/failing to fill....

Austin
12-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Can you only be an official member or is there free-members too? If both, what are the advantages of an official member?

So far, this is all the information that has been posted as far as benefits go.. I think they'll update soon.

10 reasons why you should become a member of YAL

1. Receive a copy of Young American Revolution (YAR)
Starting next semester, YAL will publish a national magazine titled Young American Revolution. The magazine will solicit student and professional articles dedicated to the ideals of liberty and the tactics of practical politics. All YAL members will receive a free copy of YAR in the mail.

2. Host Ron Paul on your campus
Rallies on college campuses brought the biggest crowds during the presidential campaign, so why stop now? Dr. Paul has agreed to speak at a handful of YAL sponsored college events next semester, so we'll be looking for YAL chapters to host these events.

3. Participate in YAL events
Every month it is the goal of YAL National to organize a national event that all chapters can participate in on their campus. This will afford us the opportunity to bring attention to specific issues and dates, show our strength in numbers, and celebrate our values as an organization.

4. Learn the tactics and strategies to win in politics
You owe it to your philosophy to learn how to win. It is fundamental to our mission train our members how to win in politics. Whether it is a lobby effort, local campaign, or student government election, YAL will develop a training curriculum to teach you the nuts and bolts of winning in politics.

5. Attend the 2009 YAL Nation Convention
Speakers, training workshops, National Committee elections, and partying will comprise the of 2009 YAL National Convention in Washington, DC. Book your tickets now. It's going to be huge!

6. Receive activism grants
Passing out monopoly money to demonstrate the concept of fiat money? Exposing a Marxist professor? Promoting the ideas of liberty on campus? Too many great ideas never happen, because they do not have the smallest amount of funding. We want to provide YAL chapters with the opportunity to apply for "activism grants" and receive financial support to accomplish their activism projects.

7. Find jobs and internships
Hundreds of internships and jobs are offered within the liberty movement, and we want to connect you with those opportunities.

8. Connect with like-minded organizations
There are countless numbers of resources currently available to students, so there is no need for YAL to reinvent the wheel. We will just gather all the resources in one place and connect you with the proper organization.

9. Network with like-minded people
The Internet is the best resource we've got. Right now, we are developing a website to launch before the beginning of next semester to keep our members networked and informed. YAL members will have exclusive access to many areas of the site.

10. Get free YAL Stuff
There's nothing better than free stuff, and we want to give it to you. T-shirts, cozies, bumper stickers, bottle openers, books, hats, buttons, etc.

I don't think there are free members, other than perhaps a mailing list. You will probably understand based on my previous posts..

One of the reasons lobbying groups fail is because they get too large. A smaller, more passionate group is almost always better. I'm guessing they are requiring fees with that mentality in mind.

Nate K
12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Based on the four rules for starting a chapter, it has be at a school of some sort. I am currently a senior in high school, and YAL National is OK with high school chapters, as long as there is official school recognition.

Frazee also mentioned tonight that the $10 dues isn't really enough to fund much of anything, rather it is to give members a sense of ownership in the organization. He really wants it to be the from the ground up, so he feels (and this is backed up by research and common sense) that having the fee, albeit small, will make people more dedicated. It's like getting something for free, versus paying for it. You're more likely to cherish the object you paid for, rather than something someone just handed to you. He noted that they will always be open to suggestions and that he really wants it to be built from the ground up.

Heck, he said if we were even in the DC area to stop by and hang out.

I'm so glad this is happening. I'm fortunate enough to be in the right age bracket so I can take full advantage and hopefully help fill the gap that the CFL is creating/failing to fill....

i see.

i guess it would be pointless for someone to join outside of HS or college though, wouldn't it be equivalent to some random dude showing up at a high school asking to join the Young Democrat or Young Republican club? lol

Austin
12-01-2008, 01:20 AM
i see.

i guess it would be pointless for someone to join outside of HS or college though, wouldn't it be equivalent to some random dude showing up at a high school asking to join the Young Democrat or Young Republican club? lol

Not necessarily. Since some of the benefits include training and free schwag, that alone is a reason to join. ;)

On top of that, there is wisdom and knowledge that will only be found outside that age bracket, and I think the organization, both the local and national levels would benefit from older (and younger) members joining. We're all patriots here. :)

Nate K
12-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Not necessarily. Since some of the benefits include training and free schwag, that alone is a reason to join. ;)

On top of that, there is wisdom and knowledge that will only be found outside that age bracket, and I think the organization, both the local and national levels would benefit from older (and younger) members joining. We're all patriots here. :)

well I am 18 but not in HS (just graduated) and not in college either.

Austin
12-01-2008, 01:36 AM
well I am 18 but not in HS (just graduated) and not in college either.

Ah, well are there any nearby colleges? Or, do you have any relatives that will be in high school? Maybe you could *ahem* guide them to make a YAL chapter. Who knows, it could take off.

I would suggest emailing Jeff to see what role you might take in YAL.

jeff.frazee@youngamericansforliberty.org

I'm gonna hit the sack. It's 3AM and I have school tomorrow morning (praying for snow delay). :D

Knightskye
12-01-2008, 02:20 AM
They have a flowchart. You've been warned!

I'm just kidding. I can't wait. ;)

TimSchumann
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the support guys!

We're working hard to make sure the organization is a success.

If you have any questions feel free to direct them to me.

Tim.Schumann@yaliberty.org

I'll try and keep up to date on the forums here, in this thread and any others that pop up about YAL.

Imperial
12-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Awesome, I have plans to join it next year.

This is great though. Really, it seems to meet the problems most people have been having with the more prominent C4L(grassroots+transparency).

I guess I'll have to start getting an unofficial group together before I launch a chapter around my area...

constituent
12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
This is great though. Really, it seems to meet the problems most people have been having with the more prominent C4L(grassroots+transparency).

you forgot "incompetent snots"

nate895
12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I am in a program in Washington State called "Running Start" and I was wondering if I should help setup a chapter at the local JC I have my classes at, or the HS where I am officially a student.

constituent
12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I am in a program in Washington State called "Running Start" and I was wondering if I should help setup a chapter at the local JC I have my classes at, or the HS where I am officially a student.

go with the Jr. College. getting in good ahead of time w/ the folks there will make your life much easier when you need it.

nate895
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
go with the Jr. College. getting in good ahead of time w/ the folks there will make your life much easier when you need it.

I will be leaving both at the same time, and moving on to hopefully a school on the East Coast unless something drastic changes my opinion, but I was leaning toward college, especially since I would be able to more easily find people interested in establishing the group, since the only people I talk to from HS are friends, and they tend to either be liberal or totally uninterested.

rajibo
12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm looking for the little snippet that talks about this, but I believe you are an official member if you pay dues and are in between the ages of 15-39. However, you can be a junior or senior member if you are younger or older than they age bracket, respectively (with a $50 donation).

People under 15 should probably be able to join for free (or really cheap). It's a little silly to charge those young patriots $50.

Otherwise, cool.:cool:

Shotdown1027
12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Im on the Financial Committee too.

One of the most exciting things to me is the events. YAL will be present at CPAC 2009 and will have its own National Convention in D.C., summer of 09. Both will be REALLY cool events. Anyone else going to CPAC 2009?

Austin
12-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Im on the Financial Committee too.

One of the most exciting things to me is the events. YAL will be present at CPAC 2009 and will have its own National Convention in D.C., summer of 09. Both will be REALLY cool events. Anyone else going to CPAC 2009?

If I can manage to get the necessary money to get there, then I will absolutely be attending.

nate895
12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I was attempting to sign up, and it listed the latest graduation year as 2008, and only Grad Students, Law Students, or PhD Students to sign up. Is that just for right now, and it will be fixed later, or what?

Aldanga
12-02-2008, 06:11 PM
I was attempting to sign up, and it listed the latest graduation year as 2008, and only Grad Students, Law Students, or PhD Students to sign up. Is that just for right now, and it will be fixed later, or what?

Same problem here. Made me sad.

yongrel
12-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I agree, it looks fantastic. I'm in the process of trying to now convince the American University Students for Liberty to transition into a chapter of YAL.

TimSchumann
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Should be fixed as of now!

gls
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
*Bump*

I just joined. For only 10 FRNs it's at least worth checking out.

dr. hfn
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
there should be high school chapters too!!!

ResurrectLiberty
12-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Now, here's what gets my feathers flustered.

I'm in high school and I am 16 years old, but the YAL message seems to indicate that only colleges can begin such an organization. Look, I spoke about the bailout at my school at a debate meet-up called "JSA" and I poured my heart into speaking about the free market and how regulation messed things up and people loved it and wanted to find out more about what I was talking about. If Ron Paul made things more clear about the YAL (or anyone else for that matter), and as to whether high school chapters can be formed, I would be very appreciative.

Melissa
12-02-2008, 10:11 PM
and as to whether high school chapters can be formed.

I found this on thier site

http://www.yaliberty.org/about.php

Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) is the continuation of Students for Ron Paul (SFP). In less than 8 months, SFP established over 500 college and high school chapters in all 50 states and over 26,000 students joined the Ron Paul 2008 campaign.

gls
12-02-2008, 10:19 PM

I'm in high school and I am 16 years old, but the YAL message seems to indicate that only colleges can begin such an organization. Look, I spoke about the bailout at my school at a debate meet-up called "JSA" and I poured my heart into speaking about the free market and how regulation messed things up and people loved it and wanted to find out more about what I was talking about. If Ron Paul made things more clear about the YAL (or anyone else for that matter), and as to whether high school chapters can be formed, I would be very appreciative.

Yes, please allow the formation of high school chapters as well. We need to reach students while they're young; the other side certainly has. I know by the time I got to college I already had some solid political leanings. Expose them to the light of liberty BEFORE they start being indoctrinated by far-left professors.

Edit: I see they are planning on it, nice.

danberkeley
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
What's with the UN organizations in their "top 8" on their myspace page????

Christopher David
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM

Yes, high school chapters are allowed. If you look at the chapters list (http://www.yaliberty.org/chapters.php) you'll see one is already formed at Jackson High School.

newyearsrevolution08
12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
I see this going very far. Imagine the power this group will have especially since it is more grassroots style than others like the cfl and so on. Nothing beats a ton of college kids who have a mission statement.

So how do we get local colleges and high schools to start their own chapters if we are a bit "older" or have zero ties to any schools? Is there anything on the site dealing with recruiting NEW chapter presidents and so forth when it won't really be "you" being apart of it at all?

Christopher David
12-03-2008, 03:10 AM
So how do we get local colleges and high schools to start their own chapters if we are a bit "older" or have zero ties to any schools? Is there anything on the site dealing with recruiting NEW chapter presidents and so forth when it won't really be "you" being apart of it at all?

People with no ties to colleges may be able to use public/off-campus bulletin boards to advertise YAL - use your imagination - but adults likely will be best off working through CFL at least for now. Finding school-aged CFL members and encouraging or helping them to make a YAL chapter would be a good use of time.

Eventually we can look at coding advanced PHP applications to help people find each other through our website. For now the small YAL staff will be sticking to basics.

But as always, "Don't wait for orders from headquarters, mount up and ride to the sound of the guns!"

newyearsrevolution08
12-03-2008, 03:28 AM
People with no ties to colleges may be able to use public/off-campus bulletin boards to advertise YAL - use your imagination - but adults likely will be best off working through CFL at least for now. Finding school-aged CFL members and encouraging or helping them to make a YAL chapter would be a good use of time.

Eventually we can look at coding advanced PHP applications to help people find each other through our website. For now the small YAL staff will be sticking to basics.

But as always, "Don't wait for orders from headquarters, mount up and ride to the sound of the guns!"

I actually am digging this effort alone rather than the cfl personally BUT with the local groups we will be starting odds are that will involve teens, young adults and parents of both who can also help with starting things up in the colleges.

I like the idea of educating our youth and how grassroots feeling it is as well. I never and still don't feel that with the cfl BUT that is why being grassroots organized works, we can pick and choose and get to the finish line together no matter which paths we all take. Same goal.

go_carolina_528
12-03-2008, 05:48 AM
I will try to join/start a chapter when I go to college next year.

Austin
12-03-2008, 06:32 AM
I will try to join/start a chapter when I go to college next year.
You can still join YAL National until then.