PDA

View Full Version : Speech for school

thehighwaymanq
11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
I need to prepare two, 1 minute speeches, in favor and against the UN actively supporting an agenda to prevent countries without nuclear technoloogy from devloping it. Whether by sanctions, bribery, or peacekeepers and inspections

Any ideas?

We will flip a coin before I go to determine which speech I present.

nate895
11-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Against: The UN shouldn't exist to begin with.

For: Those damn evil Iranian boogeymen are going to get us if the UN, our big brother, won't do something to bully them out of it.

newyearsrevolution08
11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I would if anything point out things that don't simply show "how against this or that you are" but rather get people to actually think.

I would put it in a way to show "what if other countries were pushing their agendas on us, for the greater good" and get people thinking more than they currently are.

There are a million u.n. points to bring up including national sovereignty and each countries rights to have that.

thehighwaymanq
11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I would if anything point out things that don't simply show "how against this or that you are" but rather get people to actually think.

I would put it in a way to show "what if other countries were pushing their agendas on us, for the greater good" and get people thinking more than they currently are.

There are a million u.n. points to bring up including national sovereignty and each countries rights to have that.

Yeah, alright that sounds good.

Thanks!

Imperial
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
How do you even make a 1 minute speech and actually get into anything?

You have one body paragraph, with a one sentence-intro and clincher sentence for each individual speech.

I actually had to do a debate and write a 5 minute case on this topic- except it was in favor of the UN. I have the case somewhere...I got my opponent to Ron Paul me, which I had to beat down. I don't have it here though.

So, as pro-UN I find the strongest argument is to actually defend it as not perfect, but good as a forum for dialogue and better than any alternative for putting down conflict, and its very nature as a conjoining of nations prevents corruption( ;) )

Anti-UN is fairly easy. You can go off real quick on self-determination and how the UN destroys the sovereignty of individual states and the individual right to autonomy while forcing its will on member states and how member states ironically are forced to hold unequal loads, in effect burdening the people.