PDA

View Full Version : Few Suggestions for C4L

smartguy911
11-29-2008, 02:35 PM
- C4L needs a digg like feature where users can submit news and article and comment on them. It's time we get our own digg type site. They can look into pligg - http://www.pligg.com/
- C4L needs to have some kind of module on home page that list latest 10 forum posts from ronpaulforums.com. This will get people to interact more. C4L and ronpaulforums.com need to join forces. :)
- Stop focusing too much on federal reserve, economy etc. Throw in some fun too. Something funny once in a while. I stopped visiting C4L because of depressing news, lengthy articles. Keep em short and to the point. Visit other blog sites and learn from them.
- Install viral inviter on C4L and let people invite their friends to C4L - http://www.viralinviter.com/ - This should def help with getting more members.

that's it for now

MRoCkEd
11-29-2008, 04:28 PM
- C4L needs a digg like feature where users can submit news and article and comment on them. It's time we get our own digg type site. They can look into pligg - http://www.pligg.com/

Users can already post new blogs and people can comment on them.
I do think that a sort of "digg" feature would be a great idea - the homepage can automatically display 10 of "today's hottest blog posts" with an option "click here for more" to see a more expansive list

- C4L needs to have some kind of module on home page that list latest 10 forum posts from ronpaulforums.com. This will get people to interact more. C4L and ronpaulforums.com need to join forces. :)
C4L will have its own forums soon broken down according to states to coordinate

- Stop focusing too much on federal reserve, economy etc. Throw in some fun too. Something funny once in a while. I stopped visiting C4L because of depressing news, lengthy articles. Keep em short and to the point. Visit other blog sites and learn from them.
hmm, dunno

- Install viral inviter on C4L and let people invite their friends to C4L - http://www.viralinviter.com/ - This should def help with getting more members.

They do have an invite feature:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/invite.php

Epic
12-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Hey,

There are a number of features that an effective Internet hub for the liberty movement should have:

-- Social networking features (think facebook), users should be able to: register, post photos, post videos, join groups, discuss/post in those groups, send public (think wall postings) or private messages to others. User pages should summarize all user activity on the site (all blogs, forum posts, comments, groups, group posts, etc.)

-- Blog System for all users (with commenting). blogs are very popular/important to the two main liberal hubs (huffingtonpost and dailykos).

-- Forum system. Obviously. Should break down in specific subforums that allow organizing at a more local level. RPF is great. But more is needed than just forums.

-- Event system. Listing/info of all events related to liberty movement. Ability for users to post events.

-- Digg-type link submission and voting system. (as mentioned in previous posts)

-- Generally attractive, simple design. A frontpage that gives a snapshot of what's going on in all the sections (blogs, forum, etc.)

A site with these features would be an effective ENABLING site, rather than just an information one. Currently, one has to go to lewrockwell.com or mises.org to read articles by "professional" libertarians/austrians, then go to ronpaulforums to hear the latest from the average guys, maybe go to dailypaul to read some blog entries, then go to campaignforliberty to see if the site has improved.

We need a better platform. Or at least some competition so that campaignforliberty.com knows who to copy.

With all of this in mind, I introduce Liberty Playground: www.LibertyPlayground.com

You can see a sample digg-type page at: http://www.libertyplayground.com/buzz/upcoming.php

The site is not ready. Registrations have not enabled. There is only placeholder content right now. Some links are not correct. I don't have massive servers yet.

But the infrastructure is in place. All of the features listed above currently work, and more are in the pipeline.

I have no illusions that this site will instantly turn into a magical hub of libertarian activity. However, "free market" competition needs to exist so that there eventually be a comfy internet home for the liberty movement. I hope to provide some of this competition.

If interested, any benefactors/contributors/volunteers can message me (fyi - I am using the Joomla content management system).

Thanks,
Jack

newyearsrevolution08
12-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Hey,

There are a number of features that an effective Internet hub for the liberty movement should have:

-- Social networking features (think facebook), users should be able to: register, post photos, post videos, join groups, discuss/post in those groups, send public (think wall postings) or private messages to others. User pages should summarize all user activity on the site (all blogs, forum posts, comments, groups, group posts, etc.)

-- Blog System for all users (with commenting). blogs are very popular/important to the two main liberal hubs (huffingtonpost and dailykos).

-- Forum system. Obviously. Should break down in specific subforums that allow organizing at a more local level. RPF is great. But more is needed than just forums.

-- Event system. Listing/info of all events related to liberty movement. Ability for users to post events.

-- Digg-type link submission and voting system. (as mentioned in previous posts)

-- Generally attractive, simple design. A frontpage that gives a snapshot of what's going on in all the sections (blogs, forum, etc.)

A site with these features would be an effective ENABLING site, rather than just an information one. Currently, one has to go to lewrockwell.com or mises.org to read articles by "professional" libertarians/austrians, then go to ronpaulforums to hear the latest from the average guys, maybe go to dailypaul to read some blog entries, then go to campaignforliberty to see if the site has improved.

We need a better platform. Or at least some competition so that campaignforliberty.com knows who to copy.

With all of this in mind, I introduce Liberty Playground: www.LibertyPlayground.com

You can see a sample digg-type page at: http://www.libertyplayground.com/buzz/upcoming.php

The site is not ready. Registrations have not enabled. There is only placeholder content right now. Some links are not correct. I don't have massive servers yet.

But the infrastructure is in place. All of the features listed above currently work, and more are in the pipeline.

I have no illusions that this site will instantly turn into a magical hub of libertarian activity. However, "free market" competition needs to exist so that there eventually be a comfy internet home for the liberty movement. I hope to provide some of this competition.

If interested, any benefactors/contributors/volunteers can message me (fyi - I am using the Joomla content management system).

Thanks,
Jack

Jack, I hope your social networking sites expands very well. I am setting up a networking site as well, more chapter organized BUT still the same "Free Market" philosophy. This is exactly why I started working on the Patriots of Liberty because along with the cfl there needs to be plenty of grassroots avenues that different people can call home BUT still all fight for the same basic liberties when it comes down to it.

Joomla is a great platform to build off of as well. Once I get the Patriots of Liberty up and running I will make sure and contact you to exchange links. I want to have a nice large list of various online sites versus the "all for one" that it seems the cfl is pushing really hard for.

I think sites like top sites, the forums here and plenty of other sites need to be linked to as well. I think this helps expand the grassroots even further.

So when do you see yours launching fully? Ours is planned for January odds are, we have a ton of stuff still needed to do BUT giving ourselves enough time to get things how they should be. No rush, just as long as it gets done correctly...

sarahdeez
12-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Not to discourage anyone who is out there working to promote liberty... I certainly would not want to discourage anyones eforts...

But shouldnt we be consolidating sites instead of starting new ones? Liberty supportes are already fragmented into subgroups. One problem with great thinkers is that they like to think outside-the-box. Which is really good in many, many ways. We get many of our great ideas from thinking outside-the-box. However, it does contribute to subgroups and fragmentation. Everyone wants their way to be the best way. To make our dream a reality, we need numbers -- unified numbers. We must think of ways to unite, not divide.

JamesButabi
12-26-2008, 03:43 PM
But shouldnt we be consolidating sites instead of starting new ones?

Ive been argueing that myself lately.

ronpaulhawaii
12-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Not to discourage anyone who is out there working to promote liberty... I certainly would not want to discourage anyones eforts...

But shouldnt we be consolidating sites instead of starting new ones? Liberty supportes are already fragmented into subgroups. One problem with great thinkers is that they like to think outside-the-box. Which is really good in many, many ways. We get many of our great ideas from thinking outside-the-box. However, it does contribute to subgroups and fragmentation. Everyone wants their way to be the best way. To make our dream a reality, we need numbers -- unified numbers. We must think of ways to unite, not divide.

We are starting to move in that direction, the following discussion started just before the holiday... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=171696

Welcome to the forum, enjoy...

raystone
12-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Ive been argueing that myself lately.

Apparently, that's the thing with libertarians....everyone has to do their own thing.

And the website splintering (along with hopes for building a critical mass?) continues

WRellim
12-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Apparently, that's the thing with libertarians....everyone has to do their own thing.

And the website splintering (along with hopes for building a critical mass?) continues

I think it's called "freedom."

Besides... Let a thousand flowers bloom! (despite its origin, it's still a good phrase/concept).

The best and most useful will survive, the rest will wither and die -- that's the way the true free market works.

If common purposes and goals can be maintained, then a "critical mass" will be even larger and stronger if it springs from several different root sources (each will find it's own audience/demographic).

constituent
12-28-2008, 06:42 PM
If common purposes and goals can be maintained, then a "critical mass" will be even larger and stronger if it springs from several different root sources (each will find it's own audience/demographic).

+1

well said.

slacker921
12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
In 2009 fire up something like this (http://www.snapstream.com/enterprise/).. and start recording the major media outlets 24/7. Each week put out a report (and youtube of results) showing interesting things that were found by mining the data collected.

One of the major problems that was encountered during the 2008 campaign season was the bias of the media against Ron Paul. The next Ron Paul like campaign will go nowhere as long as the media is allowed to get away with the same thing again and again.

dr. hfn
12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
In 2009 fire up something like this (http://www.snapstream.com/enterprise/).. and start recording the major media outlets 24/7. Each week put out a report (and youtube of results) showing interesting things that were found by mining the data collected.

One of the major problems that was encountered during the 2008 campaign season was the bias of the media against Ron Paul. The next Ron Paul like campaign will go nowhere as long as the media is allowed to get away with the same thing again and again.

that is a really valuable piece of hardware, neat

tangent4ronpaul
12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
This sounds like they are tapping into the text feed (for hearing impaired) for the search part and then it's just a DVR on steroids... This could probably be homebrewed...

-t