PDA

View Full Version : South Korean President Wants to End Korean War

Mesogen
09-09-2007, 07:11 PM
That's right. Technically, the Korean War never ended. We are merely in a cease fire that has lasted over 50 years.

The South Korean president asked Bush if he would maybe think about ending the war. I suppose that would involve the US pulling out its single brigade (about 5000 troops). The US had 2 brigades stationed there before 9/11, but now it has 1, apparently.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/09/07/bush/index.html

I can't think of any other implications of this that would be anything more than symbolic.

Can someone better versed in this subject educate me?

silverhandorder
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
They don’t want 5000 foreigners with guns on their soil?

Razmear
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
The Korea's would have unified years ago if we were not over there, and there would be one less member of the 'Axis of Evil' if we had a non interventionist foreign policy.
We should get out of Korea and let them work out their own problems.

eb

cjhowe
09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
In my armchair pundit opinion, I think Roh is saying that we're in the way. We're preventing reconciliation on the Korean Peninsula. A similar argument was made by Retired Col. Lawrence Wilkerson on Real Time with Bill Maher this past Friday in regards to Iraq. If the Sunnis want to talk to Shia or Shia talk to Kurds, we're the intermediary. With us as the intermediary, NOTHING has happened. With us as the intermediary on the Korean Peninsula, it's only escalated tensions.