PDA

View Full Version : Getting a passport

Scofield
11-28-2008, 07:53 PM
I am thinking about travelling to Europe in the summer, and I want to start the passport process. I have the paper in front of me (DS-11), but I wanted to ask a question before I start filling it out...

Is there any information I want to leave out in the application? I don't want to be tricked into signing this and down the road find out there was a hidden clause that strips me of my rights, or anything of that nature.

So, for those of you who have done this before, anything I should know about?

nickcoons
11-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I am thinking about travelling to Europe in the summer, and I want to start the passport process. I have the paper in front of me (DS-11), but I wanted to ask a question before I start filling it out...

Is there any information I want to leave out in the application? I don't want to be tricked into signing this and down the road find out there was a hidden clause that strips me of my rights, or anything of that nature.

So, for those of you who have done this before, anything I should know about?

When I got my passport (what a demeaning process of a libertarian, BTW), I went to a broker that handled the process for me. They collected only the minimal amount of information required to get the passport, and made sure that all of the forms were filled out properly. I had to pay their fee of about $50, which is in addition to the government filing fees, but I feel that it was worth having the help of a professional that I was paying, and therefore worked for me, to provide me with good advice.

Matt Collins
11-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I did mine a couple of years ago... it really wasn't that hard. My parents and I are on good standing which of course makes it easier. It did take like 4-6 months before the clowns ever got the passport back to me....grrr...

Danke
11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
You can leave the SSN portion blank.

danberkeley
11-28-2008, 10:26 PM
You can leave the SSN portion blank.

Would not that sort of defeat the purpose of getting a passport?

Matt Collins
11-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Would not that sort of defeat the purpose of getting a passport?Remember, a passport simply lends the credibility of the US federal government to your name. In other words, a passport tells other governments that the US federal government considers you a citizen in good standing.

Danke
11-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Would not that sort of defeat the purpose of getting a passport?

:confused:

Are you planning on traveling outside the U.S. without a passport?

danberkeley
11-28-2008, 11:05 PM
:confused:

Are you planning on traveling outside the U.S. without a passport?

Remember, a passport simply lends the credibility of the US federal government to your name. In other words, a passport tells other governments that the US federal government considers you a citizen in good standing.

I figured that the purpose of the passport was to verify an identity and I figured that the SSN was the ultimate verification for someone's identity (for federal government purposes).

Danke
11-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I figured that the purpose of the passport was to verify an identity and I figured that the SSN was the ultimate verification for someone's identity (for federal government purposes).

Oh. Well anyway. I got my passport without any SSN. And I travel often outside the U.S. I also use my passport for identification at banks, etc.

Matt Collins
11-29-2008, 12:13 AM
I figured that the purpose of the passport was to verify an identity and I figured that the SSN was the ultimate verification for someone's identity (for federal government purposes).I would assume that the SSN would be that identity. But yes, in order for the government to lend its credibility to you, it has to be able to properly identify you. And when the government that you are visiting wants to know where you are from, they look at your passport to verify this and your identity.

tangowhiskeykilo
11-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I did mine a couple of years ago... it really wasn't that hard. My parents and I are on good standing which of course makes it easier. It did take like 4-6 months before the clowns ever got the passport back to me....grrr...

It only took me a little over two weeks to get it last summer. I was shocked it was so fast.

Pericles
11-30-2008, 08:47 AM

You would think - BTW, the passport does not have your SSN on it.

My favorite passport story. I went to renew my state driver's license. I was informed that I needed to produce one other form of ID, the previous license issued by the very office with my photo on it not being adequate for this purpose. I then produced my passport. I was informed that was not an acceptable form of identification. I remarked that it seemed to work everywhere else in the world.....

The real deal turned out to be they wanted something with my SSN on it so they could run a check on "deadbeat dads" or some such thing that got tied up in license renewal. Big brother at work.

Matt Collins
11-30-2008, 01:48 PM
The real deal turned out to be they wanted something with my SSN on it so they could run a check on "deadbeat dads" or some such thing that got tied up in license renewal. Big brother at work.Pathetic. Which state?

And I thought there was some law that the States cannot force you to use a SSN for anything...

Danke
11-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Pathetic. Which state?

And I thought there was some law that the States cannot force you to use a SSN for anything...

Four exceptions that I know of:

1.Taxes
2. SS benefits (obviously)
3. License (motor Vehicle)
4. Registration (motor vehicle)