PDA

View Full Version : A great analogy on why Objectivists do not support the Libertarian Party

Gaius1981
11-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I strongly recommend this article, by an Objectivist called Paul Hsieh. If you're having trouble understanding why exactly Objectivists renounce the Libertarian Party, this will make the answer abundantly clear to you. :)

I've quoted the entire article here, though it may be better to read it at the original source (http://www.dianahsieh.com/blog/2004/08/fable-of-cardiac-surgeon-and.html).

Once upon a time, there was a young heart surgeon named David who had just finished his medical training, (including 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, 6 years of general surgery residency, and 3 years of cardiothoracic surgery subspecialty fellowship training). He had just started practicing in his hometown as a heart surgeon, and his practice was thriving due to a combination of his excellent technical skills and his compassionate bedside manner. David enjoyed his work immensely, and took pride in his ability to improve his patients' health based on application of reason and science to their medical problems. As a conscientious surgeon, he believed that preventative medicine was an important part of his therapeutic arsenal, so he was also an active advocate of a healthy lifestyle, counseling his patients on the need for good nutrition, regular exercise, etc., in order to prevent cardiac disease. Because of his friendly and effective communication style, David quickly became a popular and regular speaker on local TV and radio talk shows.

One day out of the blue, David was contacted by one of his medical school classmates, Bill. Bill said that he had been impressed by David's work as a health care advocate and wanted to know if David would be interested in joining his organization. Their discussion follows:

Bill: I'm the head of the local chapter of the Organization of Health Practitioners or OHP. Everyone in our group is health practitioner of some sort, and our goal is to promote health in our patients. Based on your work, we think you'd be an excellent candidate and we'd love for you to join our organization.

David: Oh, really? So what kind of health practitioners are in the OHP and what do they believe in? Is it an organization of MDs?

Bill: Oh, no, we're much more broad-minded than that. The OHP consists of a variety of health practitioners, including some MDs as well as practitioners of fields such as reflexology (people who believe that massaging zones of the foot can cure diseases in other parts of the body like the liver or spleen), iridology (people who believe they can diagnose diseases from the color patterns in the iris of the eye), homeopathy (people who believe that administering ultra-dilute solutions of toxic compounds can cure disease), etc. We even have a few faith-healers who believe that guided prayer can cure disease without the need for medicine or surgery. But what unites us is that we are all advocates of good "Health" in our patients. In fact, one can't join the OHP unless you take the OHP Oath stating that you will practice your craft in order to better the Health of your patients.

David: I don't see that I have anything in common with your group. My advocacy of good health practices is based on a solid grounding in sciences like biology, chemistry, physiology, and anatomy. I think that any advocacy of health is impossible without a firm basis in the biological sciences. Does your organization believe in the need for a scientific basis for health?

Bill: Sure, we do - at least most of us do. Of course, we don't always agree on the underlying scientific theories behind our views of health. Some of us MDs believe similarly to you. Others believe that the key to Health is massaging special pressure zones in your feet to align the life-energy flows within your internal "meridians". Still other believe that the key to health is giving chemicals to bind your circulating internal blood toxins. Others believe that the key to health is giving a special dilute preparation of toxins to cancel the illness caused by too many other toxins. I admit that OHP also includes a few faith-healers that reject the need for any scientific theory at all and believe that faith alone is sufficient, but these folks are in the minority.

David: So you don't believe that you need to agree on a single scientific theory in order to be a member of OHP?

Bill: Of course not! We're a health advocacy organization, not a scientific organization. Since there are many ways to advocate patient health, we don't exclude people on the basis of mere disagreements on underlying science. We're very proud of the fact that we're scientifically tolerant at OHP, and in fact the constant internal debates between the various subgroups at OHP keeps things interesting and lively. But what unites us all is our concern for Health, so even the faith-healers are welcome at OHP as long as they take the OHP Oath to promote patient Health.

David: But that's the very problem! By its very nature, the OHP rejects science whether you recognize it or not. First of all, the OHP is willing to include under its banner faith-healers that explicitly reject the need for any scientific basis for their methods. Second, even within the rest of the OHP which claims some sort of "scientific" basis for its practices, the various alleged scientific bases are a hodge-podge of mutually inconsistent theories, which inevitably leads to an incoherent approach to health advocacy.

The "scientific tolerance" that you're so proud of is basically a refusal to make the judgments necessary to distinguish between genuine science and junk science. If you're willing to acknowledge all of those incompatible theories as valid "science" and as legitimate grounds for advocating good health, then you're rejecting the genuine concept of "science". Even if you privately believe that some of those theories are wrong, but remaining willing to embrace those practitioners as genuine allies and advocates of "Health", you're essentially saying that science is unimportant to your goal of promoting "Health", and hence once again rejecting science whether you acknowledge it or not.

This nebulous goal of "Health" is an indication of this fact. The practitioners at OHP may all superficially sound like they're advocating the same thing, but in reality they don't agree on what "Health" is (whether it be a balance of "toxins", the proper flow of "chi" along the body's "meridians" or whatever) or how to promote it. I don't want to promote your vague notion of "Health", I want to promote genuine, scientifically-based medical care that leads to biological flourishing and a long active, productive life.

In fact, you even went to the same medical school as me, so you should know better. I don't blame the reflexologists or the faith-healers that much for wanting join the OHP, hoping to gain some legitimacy in the eyes of the public as genuine advocates of "Health". I can understand their incentives - they benefit from an intellectual package-deal in which the concept of "Health Practitioner" includes them as well as genuine MDs. But I do blame you and the other MDs who are helping them gain this unearned legitimacy, and I want nothing to do with you!

Bill: Come, now - you don't have to be so dogmatic! I can see that you won't join us. But would you be willing to come to speak to us at our next OHP meeting? You can speak on any topic you want, even it's to attack our approach and defend your own approach based on your concept of science. Last year, one of our old medical school professors came and gave a talk to the OHP explaining why the concept of Health could only be based on rational scientific grounds, which he then proceeded to spell out. The follow-up debate was quite spirited, and we believe that debate and discussion is the heart of our intellectual growth.

David: Absolutely not. Even by giving a public talk at the OHP, I'd be granting it an unearned legitimacy as a place where genuine health advocacy takes place, and that's precisely the one thing I don't wish to grant. It's not that I'm unwilling to debate reflexologists or iridologists - I've done so before in neutral online discussion groups. But I won't do so under the banner of the OHP. Even if there are some better, more reasonable people at the OHP that I could reach, I can reach them in other venues, like the local medical society meetings or through my appearances on the local TV and radio talk shows. And hence, I think that our former medical school professor did a grave disservice to legitimate practitioners of medical care by appearing in front of the OHP.

The OHP has nothing of value to offer me, and for me to join or even speak at the OHP would undercut everything that I've worked for these many years - namely, the practice and promotion of medical care grounded in genuine rational science.

Bill: Well, I'm very disappointed in you. I guess we won't be seeing much of you.

David: That's what I've been trying to tell you all along...

FINIS

This little fable is obviously an analogy for the issue of why as an Objectivist I don't support libertarian organizations. Lest some of the readers think I'm exaggerating, I'd like to cite some real-life data. A few years ago, I attended some Libertarian Party functions in order to learn first-hand if the criticisms made of the LP by Objectivists were true. One of the things I did was ask LP members and officials what they believed, and why.

In particular, I was interested in their answer to the following questions:

(1) What are your political beliefs, and the political beliefs of the LP?
(2) What moral foundation do you hold for your political views?
(3) Do you believe that others in the LP share your moral views?
(4) Do you believe that it's important for the other LP members to share the same moral views or not?

The nearly universal responses were as follows:

(1) The LP party and LP members believed in promoting something they called "Liberty". Some of it was couched in the language of rights, but the only ideological condition for membership in the LP was taking their Oath of Non-initiation of Force.

(2) The LP members I met had a variety of moral foundations for their political views, some better and some worse. A few were explicitly subjectivist, such as the woman who told me, "Since there is no objective right and wrong, it would be wrong for the government to tell us what to do". The obvious internal contradiction was so blatant that it was almost funny. Besides the subjectivists, I learned that there were Christian Libertarians who believed that rights came from God, atheist Libertarians who believed that rights were part of human nature, utilitarians who didn't believe in rights but advocated the "Non-initiation of force" principle because it maximized "social utility", Hayekians, Milton Friedman fans, Rothbardians, some supporters of Ayn Rand, some people who were actively hostile to the ideas of Ayn Rand, some single-issue advocates who liked what the LP said on one topic or another (such as drugs or guns or foreign intervention) but disagreed or had little interest in other topics, etc.

(3) They all agreed that there was not anything even remotely resembling agreement on the moral foundations of their varied defenses of Liberty.

(4) They all agreed that it was not important for the members of the LP to agree on the moral foundations of Liberty. In fact, the common refrain I heard was, "We're a political organization, not a philosophical organization. We don't need to agree on the correct moral philosophy in order to advocate our political views." In fact, many of the LP members were quite proud of their philosophical tolerance and considered it a strength rather than a weakness.

Besides their disagreement on moral foundations, there were quite a few disagreements on what Liberty meant in theory and in practice. I learned that there were minimal-government Libertarians who believed that government was essential for protecting individual rights, anarchist Libertarians who believed that any government at all was automatically a violation of individual rights, pro-choice Libertarians who believed that women had an inviolable right to abort their fetuses, pro-life Libertarians who believed that abortion was a violation of the fetus' rights, Libertarians who believed that spanking a child was a violation of it's rights, Libertarians who believed that outlawing spanking was a violation of the parents' rights, etc.

All claimed that their views were consistent with their Oath of Non-initiation of Force. But since they held such different moral theories, this led to different opinions of what constituted "force", and hence (sometimes radically) different opinions on who should or should not be sent to jail for the use of such "force".

Yet all were embraced as Libertarians. Sure they might have vigorous internal debates, but they all considered themselves allies in the overall cause of Liberty.

The more I saw, the less I liked.

In contrast, I'd like to make my own views explicit so that there's no confusion. The analogies with the above fable should be pretty clear:

(1) Advocacy of the proper political philosophy can proceed only from the proper objective moral foundation.

(2) Political advocacy groups like the LP that embrace members with a hodge-podge of philosophic foundations for their politics are in essence embracing subjectivism. Sometimes the subjectivism is explicit (as in the case of the recent appalling events with the Libertarian Party of Colorado as documented by Ari Armstrong in this essay), and sometimes it's slightly more indirect (as in the case of tolerating multiple, inconsistent, ill-grounded notions of "Liberty" as compatible with a genuine advocacy of individual rights). But in either case, the subjectivism is present, and is in fact the core of the LP philosophy.

(3) An Objectivist has no value to gain from joining or speaking to the LP. To do so would merely grant legitimacy to its underlying subjectivism, and thereby undercut his own rational advocacy of individual rights and proper government. If one wants to reach the better people in the LP, there are other means that don't sanction the subjectivism inherent in the LP. Similarly, if one wants to debate the mistaken Libertarians, there are other forums in which to do so that again avoid conferring any sanction of subjectivism. And although I've focused primarily on the LP, this analysis applies equally to any other libertarian organization that adopts a similar subjectivist "tolerant" or pluralistic defense of Liberty.

It took me a while to come to these conclusions, and I don't expect automatic or immediate agreement with my views. But I hope my short fable helps illuminate my reasons for holding them. As a physician, I found that by translating these abstract philosophical issues into a more concrete medical context the issues became much clearer to me, and I hope they will for you, too.

tonesforjonesbones
11-27-2008, 03:19 PM
What the heck is an objectivists? all these "ivists" these days...tones

heavenlyboy34
11-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I strongly recommend this article, by an Objectivist called Paul Hsieh. If you're having trouble understanding why exactly Objectivists renounce the Libertarian Party, this will make the answer abundantly clear to you. :)

I've quoted the entire article here, though it may be better to read it at the original source (http://www.dianahsieh.com/blog/2004/08/fable-of-cardiac-surgeon-and.html).

I found this "Political advocacy groups like the LP that embrace members with a hodge-podge of philosophic foundations for their politics are in essence embracing subjectivism." interesting.

I get the impression that the author was expecting to find a group of folks who agree with each other on everything in the LP, like one often finds in the GOP. It seems inconsistent of him as an objectivist (who generally recognize the importance of the individual, from my understanding) to assume that a group with many different outlooks and opinions can't get along on larger issues and be productive.

At any rate, the link was helpful. Thanks! :D

nickcoons
11-27-2008, 07:48 PM
As mentioned in the article, these subjectivists views are not limited strictly to the LP. There are many other organizations that have members of a subjectivist nature. As a Libertarian and an Objectivist, I can accurately state that Objectivist groups are not invulnerable to such ideas.

As an example, I remember a discussion among a couple dozen Objectivists, of which I was able to take part, regarding taxes. There were only two of us out of the entire group that were consistent with the Objectivist idea that taxation is theft (because it robs man of his property without his consent). Most others in the room based their beliefs on more utilitarian ideas, like, "I know taxes are 'bad', but we need some form of taxation in order to fund..." Of course, Ayn Rand was in favor of a government that was funded by user fees and voluntary contributions, and she opposed taxes. Unfortunately, there are those that call themselves Objectivists that are not very objective; just as there are those that call themselves libertarian that are not very libertarian.

I attend Libertarian and Objectivist functions frequently, and I don't pass up an opportunity to call someone out when their views are inconsistent. I don't see a boycott of any organization for the reason that their member base is not 100% consistent with their underlying philosophy an objective approach, unless you also boycott Objectivist organizations, because their member base suffers the same ills.

Personally, I prefer to attend the functions in order to confront others to help them understand their misguided views; instead of ignoring the organization and thereby doing nothing to stop them from spreading their misguided views under the umbrella of Libertarianism and/or Objectivism.

hypnagogue
11-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Crucial error in his analogy - philosophy is not a science. Besides, he's made an argument either against all political parties, because let's face it, people vary widely, or a dogmatic nature for political philosophy. Thoroughly not convincing.

youngbuck
11-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, until now I've never heard of an 'Objectivist' or a 'Subjectivist'. I still don't got my head wrapped around the ideas. Any further reading so I can understand this better?

sevin
11-27-2008, 11:05 PM
The problem with many Objectivists (and Ayn Rand herself) was the all-or-nothing attitude. Ayn Rand was so extreme, she even criticized people for liking Beethoven (because his music was too bombastic/collectivist/etc.)

On the other hand, she was a frickin' genius. Her ideas could really change the world, but unfortunately her and her followers have spent a lot more time criticizing than teaching.

I wish Objectivists would set their egos aside and join the Libertarian party. If nothing else, at least they could help teach Libertarians about philosophy (something no one understands very well anymore).

In the story above, the doctor could have joined the group and tried teaching the others reason and science. By doing so, he could have influenced many people and indirectly saved many lives.

Jeremy
11-27-2008, 11:07 PM
What the heck is an objectivists? all these "ivists" these days...tones

Ayn Rand follower

sevin
11-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Well, until now I've never heard of an 'Objectivist' or a 'Subjectivist'. I still don't got my head wrapped around the ideas. Any further reading so I can understand this better?

http://www.objectivistcenter.org/cth-32-1330-FAQ.aspx

Jeremy
11-27-2008, 11:10 PM
It would be called Randism or something, but she hated that and called it Objectivism... that simple

Xenophage
11-27-2008, 11:20 PM
This is ridiculous. Objectivists don't denounce the LP. I'm an Objectivist. I was a card carrying Libertarian for many years, before I registered Republican to support Ron Paul.

The idea that any one figurehead can speak for all Objectivists, even Rand herself, is at odds with the entire philosophy. Peikoff would like to think he's The Great Rand-God.

Why all the Objectivist bashing on here? UGH.

TastyWheat
11-27-2008, 11:30 PM
As cryptic as the Objectivist ideology is, who really knows why they don't like Libertarians? My best guess is that they don't like the fact Libertarianism is a political philosophy and not a moral philosophy. I could understand this, because eventually Libertarians coming from different perspectives will butt heads on certain issues like abortion, pre-emptive force vs. reactionary force, and public schools. Just seems like Objectivists are stuck up.

sevin
11-27-2008, 11:41 PM
This is ridiculous. Objectivists don't denounce the LP. I'm an Objectivist. I was a card carrying Libertarian for many years, before I registered Republican to support Ron Paul.

The idea that any one figurehead can speak for all Objectivists, even Rand herself, is at odds with the entire philosophy. Peikoff would like to think he's The Great Rand-God.

True. When I talk about Objectivists needing to set aside their egos, I'm referring to people like Peikoff. Just because Ayn Rand called him her intellectual heir, he thinks he's some kind of god. I do not consider him to be an accurate representative of the philosophy.

Xenophage
11-27-2008, 11:49 PM
As cryptic as the Objectivist ideology is, who really knows why they don't like Libertarians? My best guess is that they don't like the fact Libertarianism is a political philosophy and not a moral philosophy. I could understand this, because eventually Libertarians coming from different perspectives will butt heads on certain issues like abortion, pre-emptive force vs. reactionary force, and public schools. Just seems like Objectivists are stuck up.

Objectivism is about as cryptic as high school algebra.

Ayn Rand had her own qualms with the LP, and it was partly based on exactly what you mentioned, but mostly because she had personal issues with many of the founders of the LP.

Rand definitely got "stuck up" when she got older. I'm about the least stuck up dude you'll ever meet!

heavenlyboy34
11-28-2008, 12:19 AM

I only brought it up because I read this (http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=education_campus_libertarians) interview with her. She sounds rather nasty in it to me. :(

Aratus
11-28-2008, 07:54 AM
The problem with many Objectivists (and Ayn Rand herself) was the all-or-nothing attitude. Ayn Rand was so extreme, she even criticized people for liking Beethoven (because his music was too bombastic/collectivist/etc.)

On the other hand, she was a frickin' genius. Her ideas could really change the world, but unfortunately her and her followers have spent a lot more time criticizing than teaching.

I wish Objectivists would set their egos aside and join the Libertarian party. If nothing else, at least they could help teach Libertarians about philosophy (something no one understands very well anymore).

In the story above, the doctor could have joined the group and tried teaching the others reason and science. By doing so, he could have influenced many people and indirectly saved many lives.

yes, ...Ayn Rand was pure genius...
yes, truely the doctor in true intellect is
analogous to isaac newton now "slumming"
when joining the ROYAL SOCIETY... for to
popularize is to pitch something to the
semi-washed or unwashed masses... or
even academia in its convoluded absurdities...

Aratus
11-28-2008, 07:58 AM
tacitly sending an objectivist INTO the libertarian party
is like sending a rEVOLUTIOn person INTO today's g.o.p!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTf6NK0wsiA

Truth Warrior
11-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Statement of Purpose: Voluntaryists are advocates of non-political, non-violent strategies to achieve a free society. We reject electoral politics, in theory and in practice, as incompatible with libertarian principles. Governments must cloak their actions in an aura of moral legitimacy in order to sustain their power, and political methods invariably strengthen that legitimacy. Voluntaryists seek instead to delegitimize the State through education, and we advocate withdrawal of the cooperation and tacit consent on which State power ultimately depends.

http://www.voluntaryist.com/ (http://www.voluntaryist.com/)

Question: Your solutions, on stopping drug trade, is, give up, give up to world drugs. I say zero tolerance, we use the military (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_Drugs) for aid, we stop it from getting into the country, we cut it off at the source. Why give up on that fight?

Ron Paul: What you give up on is a tyrannical approach to solving a social and medical problem. We endorse the idea of voluntarism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntarism_(politics)), self-responsibility, family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion, it never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person, it can't make you follow good habits. Why don't they put you on a diet, you're a little overweight...

The Morton Downey Jr. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Downey,_Jr.) Show, July 4, 1988

Truth Warrior
11-28-2008, 08:16 AM
It Usually Begins With Ayn Rand. (http://www.strike-the-root.com/columns/nabat/nabat1.html)

Truth Warrior
11-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Objectivism on One Foot
The following is a short description of Objectivism given by Ayn Rand in 1962:

At a sales conference at Random House, preceding the publication of Atlas Shrugged, one of the book salesmen asked me whether I could present the essence of my philosophy while standing on one foot. I did as follows:
Metaphysics: Objective Reality
Epistemology: Reason
Ethics: Self-interest
Politics: Capitalism
If you want this translated into simple language, it would read: 1. “Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed” or “Wishing won’t make it so.” 2. “You can’t eat your cake and have it, too.” 3. “Man is an end in himself.” 4. “Give me liberty or give me death.”

If you held these concepts with total consistency, as the base of your convictions, you would have a full philosophical system to guide the course of your life. But to hold them with total consistency—to understand, to define, to prove and to apply them—requires volumes of thought. Which is why philosophy cannot be discussed while standing on one foot—nor while standing on two feet on both sides of every fence. This last is the predominant philosophical position today, particularly in the field of politics.

My philosophy, Objectivism, holds that:
Reality exists as an objective absolute—facts are facts, independent of man’s feelings, wishes, hopes or fears.
Reason (the faculty which identifies and integrates the material provided by man’s senses) is man’s only means of perceiving reality, his only source of knowledge, his only guide to action, and his basic means of survival.
Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.
The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism. It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit. It is a system where no man may obtain any values from others by resorting to physical force, and no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. The government acts only as a policeman that protects man’s rights; it uses physical force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use, such as criminals or foreign invaders. In a system of full capitalism, there should be (but, historically, has not yet been) a complete separation of state and economics, in the same way and for the same reasons as the separation of state and church.
Copyright © 1962 by Times-Mirror Co.

http://aynrandlexicon.com/arideas/intro_ob.html (http://aynrandlexicon.com/arideas/intro_ob.html)

acptulsa
11-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Until objectivists learn to do something other than object to everything, we will continue to be subjected to the whims of subjectivists.

Truth Warrior
11-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Until objectivists learn to do something other than object to everything, we will continue to be subjected to the whims of subjectivists. Your blatant and intellectually dishonest intentional mis characterization of Objectivism is morally reprehensible.<IMHO> :( Nor is it subjectively nor objectively humorous, in the least. :p :rolleyes:

Aratus
11-28-2008, 08:58 AM
another ayn rand video clip --- http://www.twine.com/item/11l5yzs75-89/youtube-ayn-rand-faith-vs-reason --- and yes...she definately has her opinions of life...

Aratus
11-28-2008, 09:00 AM
if veritas truthfully verily we be INTO the philosophies of james madison, we needn't be the very full and extant "middle way" law code of Elizabeth the First...

acptulsa
11-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Your blatant and intellectually dishonest intentional mis characterization of Objectivism is morally reprehensible.<IMHO> :( Nor is it subjectively nor objectively humorous, in the least. :p :rolleyes:

Read the OP again. That kind of attitude is a wonderful way to maintain standards in, as demonstrated, a scientific organization (or, for that matter, a church group). But as a way to conduct a political movement, it is exclusionary to the point that it will marginalize whatever group holds it. Scientific communities can afford to be marginal everywhere except in their specific fields. Political groups cannot. You either need to convince people to march in lockstep or unbend a bit.

Aratus
11-28-2008, 09:28 AM

the article's link! again, the blue block of text does not carry along in the mode of quoting...concerning the initial posting...

Aratus
11-28-2008, 09:34 AM
also, sugar pills are a placebo effect. faith healing may or may not be possible statistically ahead of simply munching down a bottle of placebos.
also, medicine has advanced since both newton and einstein had their initial science papers published... yet sometimes an astute diagnosis
forestalls YEARs of corrective surgery. said in the era where william jefferson clinton + david letterman have by-pass surgery. ~~~sugar pills
and a 'marcus well~by' bedside manner can sometimes quiet down a nervous patient. lets be insightful... once again however ...do not do this to
someone with or on the verge of diabetes. usually. trust me on this one! folk medicine circa the 1600s hints at this. duckies, lets be logical...

heavenlyboy34
11-28-2008, 09:51 AM

She thought Beethoven was collectivist? :eek: Beethoven was the first really prominent composer to insist on being recognized as important unto himself rather than simply an asset to some king! In negotiations, he was fond of saying such things as "there are many composers, but only one Beethoven". He exploited the hell out of the elitists that way. ;)

Were it not for Beethoven (and others like him) artists, writers, and musicians would still be effectively a class of serfs existing only to entertain the elites. :p