PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Stuff: Is this legal?

Nate K
11-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Say I were to buy some books, it's illegal to post it's text or audio of the book online without permission, right?

I know you can request permission from some authors, is there other kinds of deals that can be struck between author and online distributor? Is it just "credit" for the work that needs to be given that is illegal if you do it without permission?

heavenlyboy34
11-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Say I were to buy some books, it's illegal to post it's text or audio of the book online without permission, right?

I know you can request permission from some authors, is there other kinds of deals that can be struck between author and online distributor? Is it just "credit" for the work that needs to be given that is illegal if you do it without permission?

You can make extensive quotes as long as you attribute the source. If you want to republish entire chapters or books, I would contact the publisher first. :)

mediahasyou
11-27-2008, 10:26 AM
remember kids: illegal does not equal immoral.

Kludge
11-27-2008, 10:27 AM

Delusion does not equal real.

Matt Collins
11-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Say I were to buy some books, it's illegal to post it's text or audio of the book online without permission, right?Permission of whoever owns the copyright. In most cases it's the publisher NOT the author. This of course assumes the book is not out of copyright and into the public domain.

Is it just "credit" for the work that needs to be given that is illegal if you do it without permission?You can only use a fair use defense if you are doing it for news, education, etc. And even then that's a risk.

pcosmar
11-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Laws are not always just.
Justice is often illegal.

LibertyEagle
11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Except for the case of Ron Paul's newest book. Some here had no problem with downloading freebie copies of the text and the audio. :rolleyes:

Nate K
11-27-2008, 12:19 PM
thanks for responses.

Say I wanted to open an independent cyber library that gave people free texts or audios of books for a limited number of days. Would I really need to ask permission? Why do government libraries get to have that privilege.. I doubt they ask permission..

nate895
11-27-2008, 12:57 PM
thanks for responses.

Say I wanted to open an independent cyber library that gave people free texts or audios of books for a limited number of days. Would I really need to ask permission? Why do government libraries get to have that privilege.. I doubt they ask permission..

Libraries are sent special library books that are authorized by the publisher until they enter the public domain. There are only limited amounts of them, you can't just go and throw in your copy unless the book is old enough.

Matt Collins
11-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Except for the case of Ron Paul's newest book. Some here had no problem with downloading freebie copies of the text and the audio. :rolleyes:Exactly, because downloading is not where copyright infringement takes place. It's only when someone uploads or distributes the copyright work.

And where can I get the text version online? It could prove to be handy to have a digital copy available that I can use to cite.