PDA

View Full Version : Steven Barnes freed after 20 years in prison for 1985 murder

Galileo Galilei
11-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Steven Barnes freed after 20 years in prison for 1985 murder

Steven Barnes smiles among friends and family in the ceremonial courtroom of the Oneida County Courthouse. Barnes was freed Tuesday after 20 years in prison for a crime he did not commit. (Earl Davis/WKTV)

By JOLEEN FERRIS
Story Created: Nov 25, 2008 at 10:46 AM EST
Story Updated: Nov 25, 2008 at 12:56 PM EST

UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - He spent nearly 20 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit. On Tuesday, Steven Barnes, of Marcy, is free.

Related Content
Lawyer: Barnes case should be 'wake up call' for judicial system

Barnes taken to Oneida County Jail until Tuesday hearing

Steven Barnes expected to be freed Tuesday

Man convicted of raping and murdering a High School student in 1985 expected in Oneida County Court Monday

An Oneida County Judge vacated Barnes' conviction and sentence Tuesday, citing a joint motion by the Oneida County District Attorney's Office and The Innocence Project.

The "not for profit" re-examines convictions using advances in DNA technology.

Many people still remember the murder of 16 year-old Kimberly Simon in Whitestown back in 1985, and many of them were in court to see Steven Barnes, a man whose innocence they say they never doubted, set free.

One of the first things Judge Michael Dwyer did Tuesday was ask court security to remove Steven Barnes' handcuffs and shackles.

That's about when Barnes' mother and sister began quietly crying, as the judge had cautioned against any outbursts of emotion.

Steven Barnes' family was in court, as were many of his friends and neighbors.

Barnes is free because The Innocence Project took on his case and, using advances in DNA technology, was able to exclude Barnes' DNA from DNA found on victim Kimberly Simon.

Barnes has missed a lot in 20 years - he knows nothing about cell phones, the internet, and his home and hometown look completely different.

He talked about adjusting to his new found freedom.

"For 20 years I had people telling me what to do, telling me to lock in, telling me to go to chow, telling me go here, telling me to get off the phone," Barnes said. "I spent almost 20 Christmases in jail, I used to be locked in Christmas Day."

Barnes' friends, who visited him in prison, were in court Tuesday to welcome him home.

Attorney Barry Scheck, who rose to international fame defending OJ Simpson on charges he murdered his wife, founded The Innocence Project and was in Oneida County Court Tuesday to see Barnes set free.

First stop Tuesday was for a big steak dinner at Delmonico's in North Utica.

Then, Barnes will be welcoming family and friends at their home in Marcy.

http://www.wktv.com/news/news2watch/topic6/35062809.html

Thought Questions:

1) How is it possible that there is "evidence beyond a reasonable doubt" that an innocent person raped and murdered someone?

2) What is worse: Being raped and murdered, with life insurance and/or a victim foundation supporting your family? Or an innocent person labeled a rapist and murderer, disgracing your friends and family, and spending the rest of your life in prison trying to convince others you are innocent?

3) Will the people responsible for smearing and kidnapping Barnes ever be brought to justice?

klamath
11-26-2008, 02:43 PM
These are the reasons I turned against Capital punishment. It is not because I feel sympathy for a sick killer but because I don't trust our court system to convict the righ person anymore. At least this guy will have some of the remaining years of his life left to enjoy.

ronpaulhawaii
11-26-2008, 03:16 PM
These are the reasons I turned against Capital punishment. It is not because I feel sympathy for a sick killer but because I don't trust our court system to convict the righ person anymore. At least this guy will have some of the remaining years of his life left to enjoy.

Same here. I worked with Applied Bio-Sytems for a few years (they make the DNA machines) and saw a presentation from a retired cop about this. It was very eye-opening. Since then I have read where it costs more to execute people than incarcerate them. The world can be an ugly place...

MRoCkEd
11-26-2008, 03:21 PM
yeah i'm also against capital punishment:
- costs more
- wrongful convictions
- does not deter crime

lodge939
11-26-2008, 03:32 PM
- does not deter crimeBullshit.

KenInMontiMN
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately the juror who can take a hard and objective look at the evidence presented in horrific crimes without getting lost in the fear of possibly turning the perp loose is the exception, not the rule. True here, but compounded further when a racial divide separates the jurors and the accused. On top of that the general public is a bit ignorant regarding the unreliability of the eyewitness identification of a stranger and all too often gives it much more weight than it deserves.

nate895
11-26-2008, 03:46 PM
He is out for Thanksgiving!!! I bet that is what Thanksgiving will be about for him and his family this year.

I hate when innocent men (or women) get locked up in jail, it is my worst fear as well. It gives me great joy to hear justice has finally been done, even if it is many years too late.