PDA

View Full Version : Austrian economists predicted the Great Depression?

smsnead2
11-26-2008, 07:09 AM
I've seen it mentioned a few times that Austrian economists predicted the Great Depression. Does anyone have any of the quotes or book passages where these predictions were made? And conversely, where non-Austrian economists refuted their claims? I'm interested in putting together a list of these along with some of the current day predictions and refutations.

Thanks,

Sam

Conza88
11-26-2008, 07:12 AM
http://mises.org/story/3128

Good place to start... down the bottom, Books to Distribute

:)

smsnead2
11-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks Conza. I just started reading America's Great Depression by Rothbard last night. It got me to thinking about the "predictions". I haven't reached a point in this book where it talks about how they predicted it yet, though. My reading list is growing by the day. :)

Paulitician
11-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Mises was offered a job in Austria (I think it was), had something to do with banking, but refused because he said he didn't want to be associated with the bust that was forthcoming. I also believe Hayek predicted the crash, but can't be sure. You might want to ask the guys over there at Mises.org. Anyhow... Keynes actually lost personal fortunes because he was invested in the stock market, lol. So yeah, I know that Mises predicted the crash. Hayek rightly observed that policymakers wouldn't be able to avert the Great Depression by keeping prices up (or "stabilizing" them)... in fact that only made the depression worse.