PDA

View Full Version : An assignment I turned in in History class

nate895
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
First, a setup. My history teacher at college doesn't understand basic English (apparently local self-government means Washington, DC, instead of London, makes the decisions). Also, apparently the Federal courts have jurisdiction over state laws, state sovereignty died at the Constitutional Convention, and the Virginia Plan succeeded except for the fact the Senate has two seats for each state. He also continually focuses on BS questions about how evil the wealthy white men are. I then got to the last question on my study questions at 10:30 the night before they were due (I had done the previous two the day before) and I just started to write this instead:

I am totally sick of this BS distraction from the real issues at the heart of the Revolution and heart of the American idea of liberty. I am totally sick of it. This is just meant to distract us from the real issue of liberty of liberty, and I have to tell you it isn't working on this student. If we focused on those ideals too much, the students might, heaven forbid, realize their Federal government is even more oppressive than the British ever though of being. Once upon a time we almost buried people alive for trying to enforce a few pence tax on paper, and we sit and take it when the government steals 50% of some people's fruits of their labor, and uses for charity, whether it be here or in some distant foreign war.

The students might realize that they are farther from Washington, D.C. than Boston is from London, England. You mentioned the Alaskan Independence Part, and the State of Alaska is certainly farther away from DC than any of the colonies were from London. The colonists were angry at a debt of $600 billion in today's dollars, while we voted to increase our current debt of ten trillion. We haven't even got into how "National Security Letters" are self-written warrants, which the colonists were angry at when the British used them. Nor have we gotten into the Federal Reserve, which encourages the ultimate regressive tax, inflation. I guess everyone these days is getting half their income stolen from them and they didn't even realize it. Sorry, I had to get that off of my chest because I can't help but fume with anger in class when you bash the idea of state sovereignty, which the only reason it died was at point of bayonet. Hopefully we can revive it.

Then I put in the answer to his original BS question.

acptulsa
11-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Nice rant. I hope you don't pay too dearly for it.

I wonder if he'll be willing to talk with you. Most profs are afraid of learning something from a student, though.

nate895
11-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Nice rant. I hope you don't pay too dearly for it.

I wonder if he'll be willing to talk with you. Most profs are afraid of learning something from a student, though.

I know. The way I thought about it was that if some kid was in a class of mine and did the opposite, I'd say that they have guts and give them E.C. if they were willing to talk about it in class.

Edit: He doesn't give E.C. almost at all, but I doubt he'd fail me. The worst he could do is give me a zero on the question itself.

0zzy
11-25-2008, 06:38 PM
dont send that

read it over
more professional
clear
concise
less errors

nate895
11-25-2008, 06:39 PM
dont send that

read it over
more professional
clear
concise
less errors

Already done. I turned it in yesterday. I just hope he'll either ignore it and give me credit for the answer to his BS question, or he'll simply comment on it.

The_Orlonater
11-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah, my history teacher is nice ,but at times says some dumb things. He said it didn't make sense when I called the Republicans a bunch of militarist fascists.

nate895
11-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah, my history teacher is nice ,but at times says some dumb things. He said it didn't make sense when I called the Republicans a bunch of militarist fascists.

He does seem like an OK guy, it is just he says some of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I guess it is because he is a college professor, whereas a high school or lower teacher will get their asses chewed by parents if they stray too far.