PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul FREE Car Wash

wgadget
09-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Today at church the sermon had something about a church in Cincinnati that grew from 120 to 6,000 people by having free car washes.

I think this would be great publicity for RP as well. We could have our signs out there, brochures, bumper stickers, etc.

People who are people-persons could hand out the literature, talking about the issues, while the shyer types could do the actual carwashing. Plenty of time for us to chat about the benefits of a Paul presidency and for them meet real Ron Paul supporters (showing we're NOT nutjobs). There would be NO CHARGE, but you could always leave a basket for donations, making it a fundraiser, too, possibly.

Nationwide Ron Paul Evangelism at its best.

What d'ya think?

krott5333
09-09-2007, 02:03 PM
excellent idea

katao
09-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Superb idea!

MikeStanart
09-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Women in bathing suits+ washing cars+ Ron Paul = Success!

wgadget
09-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Do you think we could get the higher-ups around here to plan a National Ron Paul Free Car Wash Day?

wsc321
09-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Yep, I like it. I think strategies like this play to one of the strengths of RP's base: the commitment level. I've little doubt that 90% of RP's supporters would - literally - walk across the USA on foot if it meant it would get him elected.

I don't think the other candidates have that level of commitment from their base.

inibo
09-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Do you think we could get the higher-ups around here to plan a National Ron Paul Free Car Wash Day?

Aren't you high up enough? Start planning.

wgadget
09-09-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't have a clue on how to go about it. I'm definitely not management material.

RP4ME
09-09-2007, 02:34 PM
great idea:D

Chester Copperpot
09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Very good!

Leslie Webb
09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Great idea as an activity for the meetups. I'll bring it up at our meetup tomorrow in West Lafayette, IN.

wgadget
09-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Should we plan a day where all the meetups do this nationwide? Might get media coverage. Also, should it be before we use up our signs on Paint the Town Ron Day?

With the recent publicity, we might need an awful lot of soap and water with people clamoring to find out about Ron...

Stefan
09-09-2007, 03:28 PM
This is probably the best campaign idea I've heard so far! It is good for so many reasons.

- People will like the candidate whose campaign workers cleaned their car for free. At least a bit.

- You will get a lot of time to talk to people one-on-one, explaining and educating.

- The car owners will listen because they will feel that they owe it to you.

- They will probably tell others about the free car wash they got from the Ron Paul people. Even if they don't support him they will still probably mention the car wash, which is enough for name recognition.

Great idea!

jonahtrainer
09-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Today at church the sermon had something about a church in Cincinnati that grew from 120 to 6,000 people by having free car washes.

I think this would be great publicity for RP as well. We could have our signs out there, brochures, bumper stickers, etc.

People who are people-persons could hand out the literature, talking about the issues, while the shyer types could do the actual carwashing. Plenty of time for us to chat about the benefits of a Paul presidency and for them meet real Ron Paul supporters (showing we're NOT nutjobs). There would be NO CHARGE, but you could always leave a basket for donations, making it a fundraiser, too, possibly.

What d'ya think?

This would be a great way for Meetup Groups to raise funds!

Also, sell shirts at your sign waving. We got a Meetup that sells about 20 shirts at $10 apiece at each sign waiving. Put slim-jims, the ronpaul.meetup.com/xxxx, some issue statements, a voter registration form, etc. in the shirt and roll it up with a rubber band.

hard@work
09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
WOW this is a good idea!!

Man from La Mancha
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Would it be possible to organize a national day for free Ron Paul car washes nationwide to attract news media? Just a thought.

saku39
09-09-2007, 03:58 PM

What d'ya think?

This is a great idea!

Man from La Mancha
09-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Have the men wash the cars and the women in bathing suits talking to the people:D

nullvalu
09-09-2007, 04:29 PM
This is an incredible idea! Very cool! Now where to host one.. ?

katao
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I like the idea a lot - and I think that Meetup group members will too as it gives them another means (besides hanging banners/passing out slim jims) to be active. My suggestions:

1. Just Pick a date (not conflicting with other national efforts)
2. Create an announcement notice that is exciting and explains benefits and suggestions on how to be effective.
3. Make a competition out of it between groups (most cars washed per group member) - I suggest we make a "Hall of Fame" section in the forum highlighting the absolute best of our efforts. If not here, then on another website for that purpose. Then the winning group gets a group photo and writeup highlight.
4. Announce it here, on Ron Paul Radio, and on the Yahoo Announcements Group, and promote the heck out of it with Meetup groups.

ronpaulhawaii
09-09-2007, 04:44 PM
This really is a great idea, I'm passing it along to our MU's

Yep, I like it. I think strategies like this play to one of the strengths of RP's base: the commitment level. I've little doubt that 90% of RP's supporters would - literally - walk across the USA on foot if it meant it would get him elected.

I don't think the other candidates have that level of commitment from their base.

Some of us would walk quite far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Mu9uJiYXU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Mu9uJiYXU)

and some of us will ride all the way

www.ronpaulriders.com/forum (http://www.ronpaulriders.com/forum)

Now, lets see the carwash vids (and the bikinis would be a nice touch:D )

mkauai

EvilEngineer
09-09-2007, 04:49 PM
This is an incredible idea! Very cool! Now where to host one.. ?

Everywhere of course. There should be no reason why every meetup group cannot put one on.

American
09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
It is a GREAT Idea, I posted it last month and no one said anything...:(

I was going to set up a tent and play Ron Paul youtube videos while they waited, donations would go to the RP campaign...no friggin love....bastards!!......lol

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=13219

No worries, still a great idea...:)

blazin_it_alwyz
09-09-2007, 05:11 PM
really good idea!

(especially if you have eye candy there), but regardless, very good idea.

ronpaulhawaii
09-09-2007, 05:11 PM

I was going to set up a tent and play Ron Paul youtube videos while they waited, donations would go to the RP campaign...no friggin love....bastards!!......lol

I know the feeling ;)

Nice Av, BTW

m

wgadget
09-09-2007, 05:24 PM
What about having it September 23, a week before the nation wakes up to Revolution signs plastered across every city?

That way we'll be able to send any money raised in before the end of the third quarter.

katao
09-09-2007, 05:33 PM
What about having it September 23, a week before the nation wakes up to Revolution signs plastered across every city?

That way we'll be able to send any money raised in before the end of the third quarter.

I'd suggest the 22nd instead, as Saturday is more on an errand day for people, especially in areas of the country that have lots of church goers on Sunday.

wgadget
09-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Oops, I guess I'm mathematically challenged as well.

That would be September 22, not the 23rd. The 22nd is a Saturday, which makes the most sense. Anything big going on on that date?

wgadget
09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Is there some way to post this to ALL the meetup groups at once? I know that I have trouble even sending emails to groups that I'm not a member of...?

wgadget
09-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Also, can you creative people think of some catchy name for this? Something cute but "clean"?

Santana28
09-09-2007, 05:52 PM
i think Ron will be in Chicago for a fundraiser and rally on the 22nd... would have to be another date :)

i'm hoping for RonStock II, personally.

wgadget
09-09-2007, 05:56 PM
It would have to be a different date for Chicago, at any rate...:)

ronpaulhawaii
09-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Is there some way to post this to ALL the meetup groups at once? I know that I have trouble even sending emails to groups that I'm not a member of...?

GoldenEquity has been working on this

http://ronpaulaudio.com/Flyers/Dugg%20Outline.pdf

there are a few other attempts out there to correct this problem, don't have time to search them out...

m

wgadget
09-09-2007, 06:12 PM
I went over to meetup and asked them the question. Hopefully, they'll send me a reply soon.

Original_Intent
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM

+/- bathing suits :D

zebov
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
i think Ron will be in Chicago for a fundraiser and rally on the 22nd... would have to be another date :)

i'm hoping for RonStock II, personally.

Everyone,

Yes, having every group in the nation do the same thing on the same day would be great for media attention, but... don't ever let that excuse stop you from doing something. You don't need approval from some higher up. You don't have to have others doing it at the same time. You don't need someone else to organize it for you. All you need is YOU.

Never organized something like this before? Great! Start! Don't know how to start? No problem, think! The difference between the leaders and "the others" is not that leaders have the answers; it's that they don't let not having the answers stop them. Figure it out. Afraid others will think there's a better way it could have been done? Great! They should do it better then! But not at the expense of it not being done at all! A poorly pulled off [insert campaign idea here] is infinitely better than having NO [insert campaign idea here], so long as you are presenting and representing the Ron Paul message.

You, the person that is currently reading this message, YOU, go out and organize this. This is now officially YOUR responsibility. Work through the problems, get the resources together, do the work, get it done, and at the end you'll be amazed that, hey, it worked. Things happened that could have been smoother, but all in all, it happened. And you were an integral part of it!

American
09-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Everyone,

Yes, having every group in the nation do the same thing on the same day would be great for media attention, but... don't ever let that excuse stop you from doing something. You don't need approval from some higher up. You don't have to have others doing it at the same time. You don't need someone else to organize it for you. All you need is YOU.

Never organized something like this before? Great! Start! Don't know how to start? No problem, think! The difference between the leaders and "the others" is not that leaders have the answers; it's that they don't let not having the answers stop them. Figure it out. Afraid others will think there's a better way it could have been done? Great! They should do it better then! But not at the expense of it not being done at all! A poorly pulled off [insert campaign idea here] is infinitely better than having NO [insert campaign idea here], so long as you are presenting and representing the Ron Paul message.

You, the person that is currently reading this message, YOU, go out and organize this. This is now officially YOUR responsibility. Work through the problems, get the resources together, do the work, get it done, and at the end you'll be amazed that, hey, it worked. Things happened that could have been smoother, but all in all, it happened. And you were an integral part of it!

Thats one hell of a second post zebov, and I couldnt agree more.

Welcome

Man from La Mancha
09-09-2007, 06:44 PM

No worries, still a great idea...:)You didn't use the magic word in your proposal---FREE:D

wgadget
09-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Is two weeks long enough for everyone to plan on doing this?

Should I post it to The Daily Paul?

HELP!

wgadget
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Ya know something, zebov? You're right!

I just found this information about car wash fundraising. Thank God for the internet.

http://stepbystepfundraising.com/car-wash-fundraiser/

They recommend one month to prepare, so maybe two weeks wouldn't be long enough. However, our workers are already on the ground, so to speak...

wgadget
09-09-2007, 06:56 PM
LOL, I just realized that there is a state fair going on around here on the 22nd. We could set up shop close-by to the fairgrounds.

EvilEngineer
09-09-2007, 07:04 PM
How about calling it the

"Ron Paul Free(dom) Car Wash Event" with the "dom" added in like the "evol" of revoltion signs. So for most it would read "Ron Paul Free Car Wash Event".

Revolution9
09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't have a clue on how to go about it. I'm definitely not management material.

Sure ya are.. Just figure out a day and post your plan to the board. Look at another plan you liked that worked and use a similar format like the Paint The Town Ron day. What is needed..washers..Buckets with car wash soap and water..should be mixed heavy with soap so alot of suds can be worked up with a single sponge load. The wash off water buckets should be used instead of hoses to get the majority of suds off.. Ten the cloth wipedown/buff. You need a source of water to refill buckets..in Atlanta we cannot just hose stuff down for hours as we have water restrictions here due to lack of rainfall. Yadda yadda.. I ain't doing this..it's your idea..:D I will be there to wash the cars though!

Yer Pal
Randy

Revolution9
09-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Is two weeks long enough for everyone to plan on doing this?

Should I post it to Ron Paul News?

HELP!

That is our strength. Guerilla movements can plan in hours to implement a strategy whereas top down command has analyisis and anal retentitiveness all the way down the line. We are a flock of birds..just take a good turn in the sky and if its a cool tangent then the rest of the flock will check out the tangent in tandem.

best
Randy

Revolution9
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
How about calling it the

"Ron Paul Free(dom) Car Wash Event" with the "dom" added in like the "evol" of revoltion signs. So for most it would read "Ron Paul Free Car Wash Event".

Maybe more effective as "Ron Paul (Free)dom Car Wash Event" . Then the word Free is emphasized

Best
Randy

Revolution9
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
It would have to be a different date for Chicago, at any rate...:)

Have it happen over a few weekends in different cities to bing momentum to publicity. More than one may work too if they are successful. Then Romney will have to hire people to do the washing for him.. Or maybe he will have a Romney SuitFest Pressing and Tooth Enamel painting.

Best
Randy

wgadget
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Randy,

How ya doin', Bud? Thanks for all the encouragement. I know you'll be out there with the bucket brigade ready to help!

Those are cool names that you guys have come up with. I think we should go with it.

How do you make a sticky? I have no idea...

zebov
09-10-2007, 12:02 AM
bump, nudge, elbow

American
09-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Head butt, body slam, arm lock....

nexalacer
09-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Does this kind of thing not happen every weekend in other parts of the country?! When I was in high school, local gas stations in Orange County, CA would have high school clubs doing free car washes on their property almost every weekend. It's good for the gas station's business and it's good for the club because the stations are usually on the corners of busy intersections. All you gotta do is talk to the gas station, get permission, set a date, make a bunch of big signs that say FREE CAR WASH, and you're set. Of course, since this is for Ron Paul, you'd want to have tables full of literature, and maybe even a tent set up with chairs and some sort of refreshment. The more you can offer, the longer people will stay and listen to the message.

This requires little to no effort, except to get the people out there to do the washing and standing around in the sun. Get the materials and it's a cakewalk. Don't wait for a national campaign to get this started. It should happen on every weekend with good weather from now until the primaries!

DjLoTi
09-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Talk to your meetup group and see if they'd be interested.

dukker
09-10-2007, 12:31 AM
i had a slightly similar in another thread.
Basically, if you own a business like a bakery or a cafe or a bar or something, put a sign out the front saying 'FREE ___________ if you support Ron Paul'

Idea was taken from a photo I saw on flckr that had a sign outside a shop saying 'tell us you hate BUSH and get a free cupcake'.

CasualApathy
09-10-2007, 12:33 AM

Then all we need is ZZ Top jamming in the background. However i don't think the laws of physics actually allow something on this level of awesomeness to exist.

Thor
09-10-2007, 12:57 AM
I think this is a great idea. And to reinforce RP's environmental message, where individuals are responsible for their property and how it effects others, we should make these car washes as green as possible.

I did a quick search and found this...

http://www.waterfordct.org/safecarwash.htm

STORM WATER DISCHARGE AND CAR WASH FUNDRAISERS

During a car wash, dirty water containing soap and detergents, residues from exhaust fumes, gasoline and motor oils washes off the cars, flows off the pavement and into nearby storm drains (usually openings in the curb/gutter). Unlike the water we use in our homes and businesses which is treated at wastewater treatment plants, the water that goes into storm drains flows directly into rivers, bays, oceans and lakes without any kind of treatment. Alone, one car wash fundraiser event will create little, adverse environmental impact. But, collectively, car wash fundraiser events contribute significant amounts of water pollution.

To help ensure your compliance with municipal regulations, we suggest that you follow the "Good Housekeeping Practices" listed below for an environmentally successful car wash fundraising event. Using these practices, you will meet our important goal of minimizing the amount of soapy wash water that enters any storm drain.

NOTE: Both the owner/occupant of the property on which you conduct your car wash and your organization are responsible for implementing these practices. Ensuring that your group implements these practices will protect the site owner/occupant and should make them supportive of hosting car wash events of the future.

Good Housekeeping Practice #1: Before beginning your car wash, remove all trash and debris from the car washing area.

Good Housekeeping Practice #2: Use only soaps, cleaners, or detergents labeled "non-toxic", "phosphate free", or "biodegradable". The safest products for the environment are vegetable-based or citrus-based soaps.

Good Housekeeping Practice #3: Avoid the use of acid-based wheel cleaners.

Good Housekeeping Practice #4: Minimize the amount of water or soapy wash water running off the car washing area by implementing the following:

1. Always shut off or kink the hoses when not in use.

2. Whenever possible, select a site where the cars can be driven onto grass or gravel for washing. Or, select a site where wash water will drain onto grass, gravel, or landscaping. This will allow the soapy water to filter through vegetation and soil instead of flowing into a storm drain. Use a bucket of soapy water to re-soap rags or sponges throughout the wash rather than adding more soap directly to the rag/sponge.

3. It is not recommended that you empty buckets of soapy or rinse water into the parking lot, street, gutter, or storm drains, but into a grassy area or lawn.

WATER CONSERVATION

Water conservation is as important as ensuring that runoff from your car wash fundraising event does not flow into local storm drains. The average person uses 65 gallons of water to wash their car. This total can increase to 3,600 gallons of water used during a car wash fundraising event where hundreds of cars are washed.

The following are some suggestions for ensuring that you clean cars with the least amount of water possible:

When using a regular garden hose, turn off nozzles or kink the hose when you are not spraying a car.

Use a pressure washer for your car wash if available. Using a pressure washer you should be able to wash 20 cars with one five-gallon water bucket. This will reduce your wet/rinse cycle to a little over one gallon of water/car. With a pressure washer, you can wash 50 cars with the same amount of water you would use to wash one car with a regular garden hose – a significant amount of water saved!

Tip: If you use a pressure washer to wash/rinse a car, you will get a fine mist spray. The water can be applied evenly and will spread the water evenly on the asphalt causing the water to evaporate quickly and greatly reducing the amount of water reaching the storm drains.

OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS FOR POLLUTION PREVENTION

1. If you choose a site that drains into a street, block off the storm drain with sandbags or wet towels and divert the dirty water, onto grass, gravel or an area where the water can pool and evaporate throughout the day. Wring sponges and wash rags into buckets, not onto the ground. Clean up the site after the event. Have volunteers walk the perimeter of the site location picking up any trash and debris and dispose of it properly.

2. Shake car mats into a trash can or vacuum them. Do not shake dirt from car mats directly onto the ground.

If we show individual responsibility here and make it as green as possible at the same time, even more good points and more press info. Showing how the principles of Freedom and Liberty work to respect everyone else's rights to clean rivers, etc...

Pressure washers anyone?

wgadget
09-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Bump

zebov
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
bump

Inflation
09-10-2007, 05:14 PM

just talk up the idea to your group, they'll take care of the rest with your assistance.

Thunderbolt
09-10-2007, 05:33 PM

stevedasbach
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Shows the power of a good headline:

"Car Wash?" vs "Ron Paul FREE Car Wash"

nist7
09-10-2007, 05:43 PM

You mean....

Attractive women in bathing suits + ANYTHING = Success!

:p

empirenine
09-10-2007, 05:50 PM
This is such a great idea! FYI, I posted this on my blog in hopes of getting other people interested. Credit was given to wgadget for the idea.

http://www.ronpaulgrassroots.com

inibo
09-10-2007, 07:45 PM
I agree with no organized date. You will have some groups that cannot do it on that day. Why does it have to be done at the same time. This is a great idea and I think every group should just do it when they can. This weekend if possible. Whenever. If you try to organize it you might lose some folks.

I agree. If it could be pulled off as a nationwide, all at the same time thing, it might be a good publicity stunt, but I can think of no reason why individual MeetUp couldn't start doing it right away. It would be something fun to do and it would be very effective.

Can we do this to make money for the campaign? What if the Meetup group does the car wash? Charges for it - but cheap 2 - 5 bucks. Then donate all the money in the Meetup members names? Is that allowed?

Charging a nominal fee might be a good way to raise some money, but I think a sense of ethics would require that people know up front what the money was being collected for. How would like it if you went to something like this because of the cheep price only to find out after you paid that the money was going to Hillary Clinton or N.A.R.A.L

I like the free idea better. It's the kind of thing that knocks people's thinking out of its usual rut. I suspect just having a jar marked "Donations (Optional)" would raise more money than you might think.

wgadget
09-10-2007, 09:00 PM
This is such a great idea! FYI, I posted this on my blog in hopes of getting other people interested. Credit was given to wgadget for the idea.

http://www.ronpaulgrassroots.com

LOL. Credit should be given to my preacher. It's the only part of the sermon I listened to last Sunday...

:D

Elwar
09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
We spoke about this idea at our last meetup. It's a great idea.

I especially like the rolled up T-shirt idea with the literature in it. That can be done for any event. Also, you could use these wristbands (http://www.ronpaulstuff.com/freedom10.html)to roll them.

jonahtrainer
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
We spoke about this idea at our last meetup. It's a great idea.

I especially like the rolled up T-shirt idea with the literature in it. That can be done for any event. Also, you could use these wristbands (http://www.ronpaulstuff.com/freedom10.html)to roll them.

OOooo, nice find with those wristbands. Make sure you put the voter registrations in! Everything we do should have only one goal: The Vote.

ClockwiseSpark
09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I've little doubt that 90% of RP's supporters would - literally - walk across the USA on foot if it meant it would get him elected.

Barefoot, naked and in the dead of winter. Whatever it takes :D

Elwar
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Make sure you put the voter registrations in!

Even better!

wgadget
09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
And tell them to VOTE IN THE PRIMARIES, for God's sake!!!!!

Elwar
09-11-2007, 11:01 AM
bump

thechitowncubs
09-11-2007, 11:10 AM
AMAZING IDEA, this would be very successful.

patriotic_dad
12-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Bump

I was honestly just thinking that this would be a good idea. I decided to search the forums for it and found this thread. Did this ever get off the ground? Couple of additional ideas:

-Have prepared DVD's with Ron Paul's position on specific topics. A lot of cars have DVD players built in now... Ask them what's important to them and hand them that DVD.

-Use the coin operated, self car washes that we have around here. This is so you don't cause traffic problems. It'll probably cost around 2-3 dollars per car if your fast.

-Free vacuum if you let us put a bumper sticker on

RonPaulJunkie
12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Very nice!

American
12-07-2007, 03:18 PM
This is a great idea, it had been talked about a few months ago. If your in a state that this could make sense I would strongly suggest doing it. But its winter now and the weather sucks.

Byt this is a great idea, hand of info, wash cars, talk about Ron Paul. Its a win win.

DealzOnWheelz
12-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Its like 34 degrees here in PA

This is a great idea but I am not washing anyone including my own car in this whether

Bradley in DC
12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
first the cars, then DC? :D

wgadget
12-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Here in Altanta we had a pretty bad drought. Just not in the cards down here with the watering ban and all...

Electric Church
12-07-2007, 03:40 PM
great idea

OferNave
12-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Wrong season, dudes. It's snowing in NH.