PDA

View Full Version : We had a good country and they ruined it

frasu
11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
I was reading this article: A near-riot and parliament besieged: Iceland boiling mad at credit crunch (http://news.scotsman.com/world/A-nearriot-and--parliament.4722970.jp), and it is feels like is a pick into the future of this United States:

THOUSANDS of Icelanders have demonstrated in Reykjavik to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Geir Haarde and Central Bank governor David Oddsson, for failing to stop the country's financial meltdown.
It was the latest in a series of protests in the capital since October's banking collapse crippled the island's economy. At least five people were injured and Hordur Torfason, a well-known singer in Iceland and the main organiser of the protests, said the protests would continue until the government stepped down.

As crowds gathered in the drizzle before the Althing, the Icelandic parliament, on Saturday, Mr Torfason said: "They don't have our trust and they are no longer legitimate."

The value of the Icelandic krona has been cut in half since January.

Gudrun Jonsdottir, a 36-year-old office worker, said: "I've just had enough of this whole thing. I don't trust the government, I don't trust the banks, I don't trust the political parties, and I don't trust the IMF.

"We had a good country and they ruined it."

Scribbler de Stebbing
11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I always thought either Iceland or Greenland were ripe for a libertarian revolution and subsequent settlement, or vice versa.

QueenB4Liberty
11-24-2008, 08:41 PM
This is kind of off topic, but the title of this post made me think of it.

I'm sick of people saying "oh, Obama is the President I think I'll just leave the country....for France" *face palm* THIS is it! America used to be the greatest country on Earth, we need to take America back. Or, what if everyone that was upset and wanted to move to another country moved to another state and that state seceded? We have a long way to go, but I refuse to let this country fall to the ground if I can possibly help it.

Granted taking my world justice systems course this semester really did open up my eyes. Do you know how many other countries have a Constitution like ours? That give their citizens rights/freedom of speech/due process/jury trials/etc. We must keep on. Keep this great republic of ours.

Anti Federalist
11-25-2008, 03:58 AM
This is kind of off topic, but the title of this post made me think of it.

I'm sick of people saying "oh, Obama is the President I think I'll just leave the country....for France" *face palm* THIS is it! America used to be the greatest country on Earth, we need to take America back. Or, what if everyone that was upset and wanted to move to another country moved to another state and that state seceded? We have a long way to go, but I refuse to let this country fall to the ground if I can possibly help it.

Granted taking my world justice systems course this semester really did open up my eyes. Do you know how many other countries have a Constitution like ours? That give their citizens rights/freedom of speech/due process/jury trials/etc. We must keep on. Keep this great republic of ours.

This seems like a minor point, but it is not.

The government and the constitution give us nothing.

What it is supposed to do is prevent government from trampling the rights that belong to every human being.

The concept that government only exists to protect those rights is as radical and rare (sadly, just as rare here in the US these days) today as it was in 1776.

Even more uncommon is the concept that inherent rights include the right to abolish a government that has ceased to protect those rights.

That's a concept that had better be re-learned, and damn quick.