PDA

View Full Version : Need advice! Graduate study after BA in Chinese??

schiffstudent
11-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi, this is my 1st post here on RPF and I'm looking for some advice on what direction I should take my education. I figured what better place to ask than a forum like this with levelheaded individuals like yourselves. I want to further my education in a field that will have future globally. Languages are my forte, I'm fluent in Thai, Spanish and right now I'm finishing up my BA in Chinese. However, these days, if one wants to compete in the global job market, a Liberal Arts degree alone isn't enough. Given now that we see our economy and currency on it's way down to a guaranteed collapse, I need to choose a field that will make myself a valuable commodity to an International firm or company. I'm thinking of either embarking on either an MBA or a Law degree at a school abroad to achieve this. So any ideas out there?

thanks

pacelli
11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Look into the London School of Economics.

schiffstudent
11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Look into the London School of Economics.

Thanks, looks like a good school, however I think I was more interested in graduate study at a school located in Asia like Chulalongkorn of Bangkok or in Peking University of China.

heavenlyboy34
11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi, this is my 1st post here on RPF and I'm looking for some advice on what direction I should take my education. I figured what better place to ask than a forum like this with levelheaded individuals like yourselves. I want to further my education in a field that will have future globally. Languages are my forte, I'm fluent in Thai, Spanish and right now I'm finishing up my BA in Chinese. However, these days, if one wants to compete in the global job market, a Liberal Arts degree alone isn't enough. Given now that we see our economy and currency on it's way down to a guaranteed collapse, I need to choose a field that will make myself a valuable commodity to an International firm or company. I'm thinking of either embarking on either an MBA or a Law degree at a school abroad to achieve this. So any ideas out there?

thanks

MBA in business seems to be pretty popular. (do your research before taking my advice, please!)

schiffstudent
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
MBA in business seems to be pretty popular. (do your research before taking my advice, please!)

Your right, but since these days an MBA is so common, is its really an advantage anymore? I've heard it helping people and it also not making a huge difference in their career.

heavenlyboy34
11-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Your right, but since these days an MBA is so common, is its really an advantage anymore? I've heard it helping people and it also not making a huge difference in their career.

As I said, do your research on that. I just know that it's been popular in recent years. Good luck!

schiffstudent
11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
need more input here!

raystone
11-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Agricultural !

schiffstudent
11-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Agricultural !

Like growing weed in my basement?

paulpwns
11-24-2008, 11:03 PM
You can look into Public Policy. They have masters and doctorate degrees available. I am applying for those for next fall. We need good people doing policy.

Law school is also an option. But the debt is rough. If you are good at standardized tests, take the LSAT and if you score high enough(170+), you can get a full ride to most colleges.

schiffstudent
11-24-2008, 11:10 PM
You can look into Public Policy. They have masters and doctorate degrees available. I am applying for those for next fall. We need good people doing policy.

Law school is also an option. But the debt is rough. If you are good at standardized tests, take the LSAT and if you score high enough(170+), you can get a full ride to most colleges.

Thanks, give me some career examples in Public Policy.

eOs
11-25-2008, 04:18 AM
You're fluent in how many languages? Why not apply for a translator position with the government in the war on terror and make mega bucks? School at that point would be a waste. You're already valuable.

schiffstudent
11-25-2008, 05:50 AM
You're fluent in how many languages? Why not apply for a translator position with the government in the war on terror and make mega bucks? School at that point would be a waste. You're already valuable.

You would think so right? I'm fluent in Thai, Spanish and Chinese. The thing is, jobs in the State Department or government agencies are few and far between, and in reality translators aren't really well paid and working for a government that I've lost total faith in isn't so appealing either. An international management or sales position would be right up my alley though.

eOs
11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
You would think so right? I'm fluent in Thai, Spanish and Chinese. The thing is, jobs in the State Department or government agencies are few and far between, and in reality translators aren't really well paid and working for a government that I've lost total faith in isn't so appealing either. An international management or sales position would be right up my alley though.

You can major in international business. I think it would go well with your fluency.

schiffstudent
11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
You can major in international business. I think it would go well with your fluency.

Perhaps, I think I'll call Schiff's radio show tomorrow night and ask him personally, along with some other questions, on what will be the most sought after degrees and careers of the future.