PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't environmentalists...

OhioMichael
11-23-2008, 09:18 PM
.. taken advantage of our system of property rights?

The best way to stop urban sprawl is the buy land close to the highways.
The best way to stop deforestation is to buy forests or the companies that are causing the deforestation.

If these groups own the land, they could choose not to sell to the developers/loggers. Instead, they endorse the concept of eminent domain for governments to provide for the good.

These environmental groups have a massive following. I believe that they could raise enough funds to achieve their goal through our system of property rights. Why do these people rely exclusively on government?

klamath
11-23-2008, 09:45 PM
The Nature Conservency does this and I was all for them until I found out they would buy the land then sell it for a profit to the government and then buy more land.

Pauls' Revere
11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
I think historically it has been government which has assisted them. The sierra club history and the creation of the National Park System is one example. Not to mention lots of regulatory agencies that assisted thier cause for a long time, the EPA for one and then there is the Superfund Act as well. Thing is alot of these projects are so huge or large in scope that its easier to take the path of the common good rather than the individual rights. Jumping this hurdle is going to be huge since the eco/enviro is so set in our pysch.

Imagine a 100 private home owners along the highway and 99 decide to sell as within thier rights to do so. They simply build and widen the highway on the side which the 99 sold.

I always sign petitions against emmient domain I think it's evil.

slothman
11-23-2008, 10:09 PM
How would they pay for this land?
Env.sts aren't the richest people in the world.

danberkeley
11-23-2008, 10:38 PM
.. taken advantage of our system of property rights?

The best way to stop urban sprawl is the buy land close to the highways.
The best way to stop deforestation is to buy forests or the companies that are causing the deforestation.

If these groups own the land, they could choose not to sell to the developers/loggers. Instead, they endorse the concept of eminent domain for governments to provide for the good.

These environmental groups have a massive following. I believe that they could raise enough funds to achieve their goal through our system of property rights. Why do these people rely exclusively on government?

Because that is not what their marxist professors in college taught them.

bill50
11-24-2008, 01:39 PM
How would they pay for this land?
Env.sts aren't the richest people in the world.

Because they think the government should do everything for them.

Mesogen
11-24-2008, 04:36 PM
I like generalizations. They let me think less...

mediahasyou
11-24-2008, 09:33 PM
here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3349689/Save-the-planet-Buy-it.html