PDA

View Full Version : Must Read: Army of The Republic, by Stuart Archer Cohen

llepard
11-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Has anyone else here read this book?

I just finished it and I was blown away. What an excellent look at how the crisis we are facing may unfold.

I am not advocating the solution proposed in the book (protective clause inserted for homeland security agent who is reviewing this) but you have got to think that this book is not far from the way things could unfold if the statists continue to make all of the wrong moves.

I suspect purchasing this book will get your name on some list. I am sure I am already there and so I don't care. In that respect the book is probably like Unintended Consequences, which is also an excellent book.

Personally, i think the book is well done and works as a novel and as a political statment. Some of the reviewers on Amazon disagree.

I learned a lot from the book and I think the Author is quite educated and his presentation of the issues is nuanced.

If others in this forum have read the book I would like to hear their reactions.

My amazon review is here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0312383770/ref=cm_cr_pr_recent?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Anti Federalist
11-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Good to see you again LL!

Cowlesy
11-23-2008, 09:14 AM
The book had a bunch of interesting reviews --- I see Lew Rockwell, Naomi Klein and a few others commented on it.

I ordered and will see what I think. Thanks for the post!

llepard
11-23-2008, 04:18 PM
The book had a bunch of interesting reviews --- I see Lew Rockwell, Naomi Klein and a few others commented on it.

I ordered and will see what I think. Thanks for the post!

This book has the potential to become a libertarian classic.

It will help to get people thinking. Similar to V for Vendetta, but in a more realistic present day America type of setting.

Support the book if you can.

There is a rant at the end of the book where the revolutionary, Lando is talking about how the people of America do not deserve him or his movement.

That rant could have been written by any one of us with the names being changed to Ron Paul and the Ron Paul Movement.

itsthepathocrats
11-23-2008, 10:27 PM
nm

llepard
11-25-2008, 08:00 AM
This is another predictive programming vehicle, similar to V for Vendetta (which I posted about here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1771926&highlight=Vendetta#post1771926)).

Predictive Programming can be defined as the power of suggestion using the media of fiction to create a desired outcome. Just look at this from Publishers Weekly:

"....corporate oligarchs run America and the middle classes acquiesce through fear of the displaced underclass, composed of those generally left behind by globalization."

There are at least two primary predictive programming goals. First, the novel, at a minimum, intends to familiarize the reader with Oligarchical (over government) controls, water wars and scarcities, and the use of private security firms as the new police force. Secondly, the book's goal is to vector the public into a limited set of "solutions" for "fighting" against these pressures. Namely, the book lays-out the:

outside-the-system approach, as presented by Lando, a violent militant who is actually Josh Sands, the could-have-been-trust-funded son of James Sands (a powerful executive in the water-supply business), and who sometimes presents himself as a Web programmer.
within-the-system approach, as executed by Emily, Lando's lover, who is a lawyer trying to battle the hostile government using the court system.

Interesting to see that the outside-the-system approach provided to us in this novel is a violent one and one that is perpetrated by a could-have-been elite (they always give us our leaders).

The fact of the matter is that a myriad of solutions are available to the public, but the cultural planners repeatedly frame our options in extremely limited and disparate. These themes are repeated in novels, hollywood television and movies, computer games, and the like.

I urge continued vigilance and care when reading and interpreting publications that pretend to "predict" our future, especially when the book is so well received by mainstream publications such as the NYT and reviewers.

Agree with your points.

However, to say this book was well received is wrong. The book has been called Treasonous. I hardly consider that to be "well received". I don't think the author was trying to program anyone or even to advocate violence. I believe the author is trying to present one scenario of how things could unfold. There are obviously many other choices. In fact, if people wake up the peaceful political solution is the correct and appropriate solution. Will it happen? I hope so.

One thing is for sure though, the politicians and statists who brought us this disaster are a long way away from having a clue about how to address it.

Answer: honest money and a gold standard.

Will our leaders become as evil as the people in this Book or in V? Good question, all I can do is read the tea leafs: and, torture, rendition, suspension of constitutional rights, they all give me reason to be concerned.

I recognize that believing they are this evil is a fantasy, but to think that they do not ruthlessly pursue their own self interest is naive.

The open question is how to resolve this conflict.

Elwar
11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I have watched the movie adaptation of the book called "Army of Darkness". I agree that it does give a bleak outlook on the crisis we will face. I don't necessarily agree with the solutions but they are fairly effective.

itsthepathocrats
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
nm

ronpaulforprez2008
11-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Bump.

ITP is right-on-point....people should read and understand this thread...lots of material out there being disguised as Patriot support but in fact is psywar.

Anti Federalist
11-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Got my copy, will read it over the weekend.

lucius
11-28-2008, 03:22 PM
First, well received in psychological terms means media coverage, as the goal is mindshare. "Negative" and "positive" coverage is equally relevant and important here. So, when Naomi Klein and the NYT reviews the book, I interpreted this as well received. Not received well means the mainstream (including traditional alternative media) ignores you, which means that the content is not authorized (ie not supported by "establishment").

Secondly, why is it that only the dystopian view is presented into the mainstream? This is because these dystopian options are the only options authorized to penetrate mindshare. If the honest money or similar options were evoked in fiction, or elsewhere, then the profane may develop concepts for a future that is not consistent with current global plans. As this type of content is not authorized, it will never enter mainstream, either positively or negatively. It is extremely important that the public only have one view of the future, the view as presented by the "establishment."

Lastly, with respect to the state of mind of political and global actors ("believing they are this evil " as you put it), I strongly urge reading Snake in Suits (http://www.snakesinsuits.com/) in order to understand the mind of these beings. One cannot apply a human behavioral ruleset onto these creatures, for they operate on their own unique set of standards that are unimaginable to over 95% of the population. Until one understand their makeup, one can't understand your world.

Good stuff...

Cleaner44
12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
My 15 year old daughter just bought this book for me at a dollar store! She saw the word Republic and thought maybe I might like it. Apparently they have 10 more.