PDA

View Full Version : Video: Ron Paul mulling 2012 run

DadaOrwell
11-22-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Nal3q9q8s

Nathan Hale
11-22-2008, 09:03 PM
God, I hope not. I love Ron Paul as much as the next guy, but we need this revolution to be about more than Ron Paul - we need it to be about a certain ideology. These are the sentiments of none other than Ron Paul himself.

The Reform Party is a great example of what happens when one person stifles a growing movement. Ross Perot ran in 1992, and that was great, but in 1996 the movement had grown and other candidates emerged....but Ross Perot ran again....and fizzled. As a commodity, the individual Ross Perot overcame the popularity of the Reform movement and fizzled the whole thing out. I fear such a result if Ron runs again.

After all, age was an issue last time around, and it will only be moreso this time, as Ron will be far and away older than any other first term President. Ron's status as a Representative is also problematic because it only barely meets the requirements to mount a Presidential campaign and be in the media's eye. This time around we see numerous governors in the running for Paul's revolutionary crown. Any Governor who comes to the fight with the same backing as Paul would have to be considered for the top tier.

itshappening
11-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Nathan puts it so eloquently.

we need to see what emerges from the vast wasteland that is the GOP. I doubt another RP run would do much except split our votes

tonesforjonesbones
11-23-2008, 03:17 AM
I don't think I would be able to support Ventura...too much surfin! tones

Captain Bryan
11-23-2008, 04:12 AM
Either Paul, or Johnson.
I'm worried that Paul's age would be an issue with the general population.

Suzu
11-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Ron is so very special... Those who have met him know what I mean. He is, in my estimation, something like a living angel. I could support someone he endorsed, but nothing would make my heart happier than being able to vote for the good doctor.

ClayTrainor
11-23-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't think I would be able to support Ventura...too much surfin! tones

lmao...

But seriously, if say... ron paul runs again and loses in the primaries, and Ventura decides to make an independant run, and gains some serious steam, say 8%... would you not be tempted?

Surely getting a independant who respects the constitution would be of interest to you...

Perry
11-23-2008, 10:07 AM
God, I hope not.

You're just complaining because the man has more energy than you do.:D

robertwerden
11-23-2008, 10:28 AM
If Ron Paul runs, it will be perfect timing in the summer of 09.

The financial crisis has brought Ron Paul more media attention than the Presidential Race did, because Ron predicted so much of what has happened.

Right now the talk of the nation is what went wrong with the Republican party
Ron Paul is the text book definition of what a republican should be, and the media is noticing that fact.

In June 09 the financial problem will be still un resolved and the media will listen to Ron Paul through out this crisis. This is where Ron Paul will pick up the medias endorsement defacto, just from the popularity he will get.

If he announces the 2012 run early and has weekly interviews to lay out his plan, America will have plenty of time to get behind him.

We all know what to do, and that is to keep the media attention going. The end the fed is just the beginning.

Ron needs to do a book tour on how to fix the republican party.

DXDoug
12-11-2008, 07:20 PM
sweet video

Sandra
12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Paul/ Schiff/ Goldwater/ Johnson

Peace&Freedom
12-11-2008, 10:43 PM
paul/ schiff/ goldwater/ johnson

Paul/Ventura

Original_Intent
12-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Ron is so very special... Those who have met him know what I mean. He is, in my estimation, something like a living angel. I could support someone he endorsed, but nothing would make my heart happier than being able to vote for the good doctor.

I agree. My feeling is that if it is something that he WANTS to do, I will be so behind him. But if he does it due to a sense of duty, I would much prefer he get behind someone else. the man has done enough and we should not press him to run again. I would sure encourage it as I don't think there is going to be another Ron Paul, but I just hope he follows his heart.

devil21
12-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I think it would be awesome if he ran again. We could consider 2008 a trial run so we know what to do (and what NOT to do) next time around. While I understand the sentiment of Nathan Hale, I don't think it's "about Ron Paul". He represents our idealogy better than ANY OTHER possible candidate, and that includes a near squeeky clean background and a growing name recognition. No one knows who Gary Johnson is and Jesse Ventura is an even more controversial figure. Can you imagine the media nailing Jesse on his 9/11 Truth stuff?? Yikes. Anyway, I'd be 100% behind RP and I'd do anything and everything I could for his campaign if he ran in 2012.

Now, would the GOP let him run again? That's a whole nother topic. The only downside I see is that the 2012 candidates will basically start mimicking RP to sound like "conservatives". Would RP be drowned out by the pandering when everyone else sounds pretty much like him? Who knows.

hotbrownsauce
12-12-2008, 02:36 AM
If Ron Paul decides to run, we all have experience, infrastructure, and capital to do better than last time. Shall Ron decide to run he most likely has my full support because it is very possible no one else can fit what he has done and promises to do. He would be the oldest president ever. The current record holder is Ronald Regan who was elected at 69yrs old.

Maybe someone else should run for President and he should be their VP. That would be a win win situation for most people.

kathy88
12-12-2008, 05:39 AM
If he's SERIOUS let's get it done. Just think about what we can do with 3+ years. Look what we did in a year.

dr. hfn
12-12-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't think Ron Paul should run, but he can definitely be a face of the guy that does run: Johnson, Ventura, Sanford, ...

heavenlyboy34
12-12-2008, 02:11 PM
is the source of this info trustworthy? :confused:

dr. hfn
12-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Johnson/Goldwater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dr. hfn
12-12-2008, 02:40 PM
if we run paul again, the people will think that we are just a personality cult and only care for the man. if we run totally new people, the people will see that we care for principles and ideals

Nathan Hale
12-13-2008, 11:08 PM
if we run paul again, the people will think that we are just a personality cult and only care for the man. if we run totally new people, the people will see that we care for principles and ideals

Tkubic - every word written in the above quoted post should be gospel for all members of the Revolution. The "personality cult logic" is what killed the Reform Party surge - Jesse Ventura spoke at length about it in his book "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me". Ron Paul even spoke about. He tried numerous times in interviews to communicate that the Revolution wasn't about him - he was an open advocate of the movement following a path, not an individual. Ironic, then, that so many in the movement are determined to bring us to ruin despite the warnings of Dr. Paul himself, and history besides.

devil21
12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Tkubic - every word written in the above quoted post should be gospel for all members of the Revolution. The "personality cult logic" is what killed the Reform Party surge - Jesse Ventura spoke at length about it in his book "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me". Ron Paul even spoke about. He tried numerous times in interviews to communicate that the Revolution wasn't about him - he was an open advocate of the movement following a path, not an individual. Ironic, then, that so many in the movement are determined to bring us to ruin despite the warnings of Dr. Paul himself, and history besides.

So your solution is instead to field a candidate with less solid credentials and possibly questionable adherence to our idealogy (since no one else has RP's historical devotion to the message) so we don't look like a cult of personality? While I like Jesse Ventura, if you think about how the media was able to successfully portray RP as a "kook" and "fringe", just wait till they get ahold of Jesse. I can't wait to see the 9/11 Truther stuff on Fox News 24/7!

Btw, McCain ran twice as a Republican. Running for President more than once isn't a kiss of death.

ETA: An Obama voting friend of mine actually bought Revolution: A Manifesto last week. People with prior exposure to RP are now realizing he was RIGHT. What's that going to be worth in 2012? Plenty.

Nathan Hale
12-14-2008, 10:10 PM
So your solution is instead to field a candidate with less solid credentials and possibly questionable adherence to our idealogy (since no one else has RP's historical devotion to the message) so we don't look like a cult of personality?

No. First off, it's possible to field a candidate with far better credentials than Ron Paul. As for ideology, I consider ideology with a broad brush. This movement is, after all, a coalition, not 100% idelogically lockstep. So it's entirely possible for a candidate to have just as much adherence to our ideology while still having a different platform.

While I like Jesse Ventura, if you think about how the media was able to successfully portray RP as a "kook" and "fringe", just wait till they get ahold of Jesse. I can't wait to see the 9/11 Truther stuff on Fox News 24/7!

That's true, trutherism is political cryptonite, and Ventura buried himself with it.

Btw, McCain ran twice as a Republican. Running for President more than once isn't a kiss of death.

First off, McCain was a lot younger when he ran the first time, and like it or not, Paul's age will have a large negative effect on his credibility. Second, unless I missed something, McCain was dead in the water from the moment he won the nomination and everybody knew it.

ETA: An Obama voting friend of mine actually bought Revolution: A Manifesto last week. People with prior exposure to RP are now realizing he was RIGHT. What's that going to be worth in 2012? Plenty.

I have yet to see this huge shift in opinion that would justify fielding Ron Paul again. Perhaps it's out there, but I have yet to see it.

american.swan
12-14-2008, 11:17 PM

I tend to agree, we need a new face. Ron could run for Texas Governor. If he won that, his endorsement would be huge. Our freedom candidate would win Texas' presidential primary based on the Governor Paul's words.

Pauls' Revere
12-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Paul/ Schiff/ Goldwater/ Johnson

THESE WOULD BE VERY NICE INDEED!

Dr Paul needs to be on the ticket if the others are going to be running mates. I just dont see The others carrying as much weight with the public without him.

There's also Lawson...to some degree

Elwar
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
If Ron Paul and another liberty candidate run I would support them both. I would hope that the weaker candidate would step down by the first or second primary and throw full support behind the other for the rest of the primary season and fall in place as the VP.

rockandrollsouls
12-17-2008, 09:44 AM
We NEED Ron to run in 2012. You guys want someone else to run that can't walk up there and say "I've been right all along." Someone that appeals to EVERYONE here and people in other parties? Come on. This movement is about more than "Ron Paul" but he is the best standard bearer we have by a long shot.

ronpaulhawaii
12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Which issue is harder to overcome; age, or name recognition?

Doug Wead wants RP to run again. I'd imagine those interested in this might want to keep an eye on his blog

http://dougwead.wordpress.com/

I'll respect RP's decision, either way...

ingrid
12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I think it's a good idea...as long as he's running to win, not just educate.

Cap
12-17-2008, 10:59 AM
We NEED Ron to run in 2012. You guys want someone else to run that can't walk up there and say "I've been right all along." Someone that appeals to EVERYONE here and people in other parties? Come on. This movement is about more than "Ron Paul" but he is the best standard bearer we have by a long shot.
+1

Elwar
12-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Someone who has voted pro-liberty for every single vote while in office? Voting "No" for any bill that he's had to vote on that has involved expansion of government even while taking political heat for doing so? A Republican and yet still against the Drug War?

You're right, I can only think of two people who fit that definition. Ron Paul and

rockandrollsouls
12-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Someone who has voted pro-liberty for every single vote while in office? Voting "No" for any bill that he's had to vote on that has involved expansion of government even while taking political heat for doing so? A Republican and yet still against the Drug War?

You're right, I can only think of two people who fit that definition. Ron Paul and

Well, Ron is the only one I can think of at the moment. Who is the other?

Knightskye
12-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Either Paul, or Johnson.
I'm worried that Paul's age would be an issue with the general population.

Just have him release all his medical records.

He's never had skin cancer, or any other kind, unlike McCain.

By the way, does anyone know if Johnson still wants to police the internet?

Elwar
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, Ron is the only one I can think of at the moment. Who is the other?

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com

Vetoed 750 bills (more than the vetoes of all governors in the country at that time, combined) earning him the name Gary "Veto" Johnson.

rockandrollsouls
12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com

Vetoed 750 bills (more than the vetoes of all governors in the country at that time, combined) earning him the name Gary "Veto" Johnson.

I've looked into Johnson and I don't think he's anywhere close to the league Ron is in....which is why I didn't even consider him in that statement. Some of his flaws are forgivable, in my opinion, if he publicly apologizes for them but I'd rather have Ron run while we still can.

Elwar
12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
By the way, does anyone know if Johnson still wants to police the internet?

You mean this bill:
http://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/98%20Regular/bills/senate/SB0127.pdf

Where the attorney general states:
"Our initial intent was to prohibit pedaphiles from luring children"

But was struck down by the ACLU with complaints that keeping children from viewing sites that display sexual language or nudity would prohibit them from being able to view sites for medical purposes or sites with artistic nudist depictions like the statue of David.

Even though in the legislation it clearly states: "harm..." "...considered as a whole, lacks serious literacy, artistic, political and scientific value for minors" as well as "predominantly appeals to the prurient, shameful or morbid interest of minors" and "is patently offensive to prevailing standards in the adult community as a whole with respect to what is suitable material for minors".

I do agree that any regulation of the Internet is a slippery slope but I do think that existing laws against sexual harm to minors should be enforced whether on the Internet or off. Either way it should be left to the states.

And in 1998 the Internets was just starting to stretch its legs.

SPmachina033
12-21-2008, 05:53 PM
I hate to say it but I think it is a waste because look at what the media did to the poor guy this past campaign. Also he will be 76. John McCain got reamed on his age and he is 72. I doubt anybody wants a president that will be 80 at the end of his first term. I love RP but age has a ton to do with getting elected.

driller80545
12-21-2008, 06:36 PM
RP is the first and only politician that I trust. I will vote for him anytime, anywhere. I am not a cultist, more of a realist who is tired of the lies.

Nathan Hale
12-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I've looked into Johnson and I don't think he's anywhere close to the league Ron is in....which is why I didn't even consider him in that statement. Some of his flaws are forgivable, in my opinion, if he publicly apologizes for them but I'd rather have Ron run while we still can.

Of course he's not in Ron's league - he's leagues above. I could run down the CV again, but I'm sure you heard it a thousand times already on these boards. At this point in the game Ron makes for a good VP, his age is too much of an issue for him to be a credible candidate in 2012.

enjoiskaterguy
12-26-2008, 06:15 AM

I can't agree more...the man is a god-send...I hope Ron Paul picks up the torch again. We need a LEADER....he is that person...we can not keep going back and forth with half-ass candidates like Jesse Venturra (although I like the guy,we must reject him for he will be FAR MORE marginalized than Ron Paul and our efforts will be divided even more so.) Ron Paul has the experience, name recognition, congressional record, and a consistency that NO ONE can match...if he is healthy, alert and energized by our efforts in the 2010 elections he will hopefully return the favor by re-igniting his efforts and run in 2012. The age arguement is irrelevant at this point in time because we can not see what the future lies ahead. I new face isn't always the best thing to do, especially seeing how hard it was to inform people about the alreay marginalized Dr. Paul.Inspiration goes a long way. Lets show DR. NO would we can achieve.

Nate
12-26-2008, 10:52 AM

+1

Dr Paul needs to make 1 more run at the GOP nomination in 2012. It would give the grassroots an opportunity to rally around a candidate without having to do too much to get his name out there. We need somebody who is a national political figure already. Johnson is a great candidate and I would like someone like him to be the VP because it would give us somebody to groom for the top spot in 2016 or 2020. However outside of New Mexico, libertarians and the anti-drug war crowd his name is not at the level of a national figure. Him running with Dr Paul would give him a chance to build his national image and allow him to be a contender in the next election.
Dr Paul is the best candidate for 2012 even with the age factor. He must run. It is not about a cult of personality, it is about getting the best candidate we have to run for the POTUS. At the moment that candidate is Ron Paul yet again. I'd like Johnson to run for the nomination as well but drop out before the actual primaries and endorse the good Dr, thus setting him up for the VP spot. We also need to get some of our people elected in 2010 & 2012 so we can groom them as candidates for higher office in the future.

Imperial
12-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I want Dr. Paul to at least be in the debates. If he can go up there, jump into the national spotlight, and then endorse somebody, it would be great.

If we had Sanford, Johnson, and Paul all in the debates, picture it when they start talking up foreign policy...

Once we get past the debates, lets see who is doing best.

ronpaulhawaii
12-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I want Dr. Paul to at least be in the debates. If he can go up there, jump into the national spotlight, and then endorse somebody, it would be great.

If we had Sanford, Johnson, and Paul all in the debates, picture it when they start talking up foreign policy...

Everybody interested in Paul running in '12 :) might want to keep an eye on Doug Wead's blog (http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2008/12/24/ron-paul-and-iowa-in-2011/)

Nathan Hale
12-27-2008, 08:28 PM

Unfortunately we need to decide before the debates on a single candidate, otherwise we split our votes, our money, and our support. In order to propel a single candidate into the top tier we need to galvanize our total support behind them. Remember, by the time they're debating, the tier structure will already be defined and media coverage will follow suit. We need to back a single candidate early and strong so that they make it into the top tier and stay in the top tier.

Nathan Hale
12-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Dr Paul needs to make 1 more run at the GOP nomination in 2012.

Let's see....

It would give the grassroots an opportunity to rally around a candidate without having to do too much to get his name out there. We need somebody who is a national political figure already. Johnson is a great candidate and I would like someone like him to be the VP because it would give us somebody to groom for the top spot in 2016 or 2020. However outside of New Mexico, libertarians and the anti-drug war crowd his name is not at the level of a national figure. Him running with Dr Paul would give him a chance to build his national image and allow him to be a contender in the next election.

The primary race will begin, in earnest, in January 2011. Johnson is not a national name right now, but a lot can happen before 2011. Is it more work for us to make somebody a national name rather than trade on existing prestige? Yes. But that does not preclude the effort being worth it, which I believe it to be. And why do I consider it worth it? More on this below.

Dr Paul is the best candidate for 2012 even with the age factor. He must run. It is not about a cult of personality, it is about getting the best candidate we have to run for the POTUS.

Age is a HUGE factor. The issue was levied against Paul this time around, to say nothing of what will happen four years on. This time around they framed the issue by saying that when elected he'd be "older than any president at their election". Next time they'll be able to say that he, while campaigning, is older than any president during their entire term of office. It's a huge hurdle that the public does not take lightly, because age, whether justified or not, is correlated with infirmity - i.e. the ability to take the 3 am call.

And there is the risk of this becoming a cult of personality.

At the moment that candidate is Ron Paul yet again. I'd like Johnson to run for the nomination as well but drop out before the actual primaries and endorse the good Dr, thus setting him up for the VP spot. We also need to get some of our people elected in 2010 & 2012 so we can groom them as candidates for higher office in the future.

I never considered Paul a particularly good candidate for office. Despite his excellent voting record and his Schiffesque foresight, he has little to trade on. He's a sloppy debater, his issue positions are too extreme, he's too old, and he has a long history of exploitable platform baggage. A solid voting record and his prophetic talents make him an excellent VP candidate, but let a term-limited Governor with a strong track record of his very own, a moderate platform, and a wealth of charisma take the helm.

walt
12-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Jesse Benton is a tool.

dr. hfn
12-29-2008, 01:20 PM
the C4L, Libertarian Party, Students for Liberty, Libertarian Party, Constitution Party, Young Americans for Liberty, Mises, Cato, & other Liberty orgs should hold debates, press meetings, and other events promoting our Liberty Candidates.

We need to come up with a list of Liberty Candidates for 2012.

We need a strong alliance of Liberty organizations to maximize our effectiveness

Eric21ND
12-31-2008, 06:29 AM
THESE WOULD BE VERY NICE INDEED!

Dr Paul needs to be on the ticket if the others are going to be running mates. I just dont see The others carrying as much weight with the public without him.

There's also Lawson...to some degree

I really like Lawson and see him as Ron Paul's heir apparent, but the stumbling block is he never held office before. :(

He also happens to live in a hugely democratic district in the south, double wammie :mad: