PDA

View Full Version : Take the quiz, Post your score - New Basic American Civics Survey (a random 71% faile

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 08:35 AM
The quiz:
http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

The article describing the decrepit state of American civics literacy. Talk about an uphill battle...
http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/content/our_fading_heritage_11-20-08.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contacts: Melissa Torra/Doug Novarro
G.S. Schwartz & Co. Inc.
(212) 725-4500 ext. 319 / 315
(646) 824-5186 / (631) 357-4390 (cell)
mtorra@schwartz.com/dnovarro@schwartz.com

NEW STUDY FINDS AMERICANS, INCLUDING ELECTED OFFICIALS, EARN A FAILING GRADE WHEN TESTED ON AMERICAN HISTORY AND ECONOMICS

Third Intercollegiate Studies Institute Report on Civic Literacy Suggests There is an Epidemic of Historical, Political and Economic Ignorance in America; Colleges Must be Main Part of Cure

Washington, D.C., November 20, 2008 – Are most people, including college graduates, civically illiterate? Do elected officials know even less than most citizens about civic topics such as history, government, and economics? The answer is yes on both counts according to a new study by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI). More than 2,500 randomly selected Americans took ISI’s basic 33-question test on civic literacy and more than 1,700 people failed, with the average score 49 percent, or an “F.” Elected officials scored even lower than the general public with an average score of 44 percent and only 0.8 percent (or 21) of all surveyed earned an “A.” Even more startling is the fact that over twice as many people know Paula Abdul was a judge on American Idol than know that the phrase “government of the people, by the people, for the people” comes from Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.

Complete results from ISI’s third study on American civic literacy are being released today in a report entitled Our Fading Heritage: Americans Fail a Basic Test on Their History and Institutions. The new study follows up two previous reports from ISI’s National Civic Literacy Board that revealed a major void in civic knowledge among the nation’s college students. This report goes beyond the college crowd however, examining the civic literacy of everyday citizens, including self-identified elected officials. But according to ISI, the blame and solution again lie at the doorstep of the nation’s colleges. “There is an epidemic of economic, political, and historical ignorance in our country,” says Josiah Bunting, III, Chairman of ISI’s National Civic Literacy Board. “It is disturbing enough that the general public failed ISI’s civic literacy test, but when you consider the even more dismal scores of elected officials, you have to be concerned. How can political leaders make informed decisions if they don’t understand the American experience? Colleges can, and should, play an important role in curing this national epidemic of ignorance.”

A large majority of respondents agree colleges should prepare citizen leaders by teaching America’s history, key texts and institutions. Seventy-two percent of respondents with a high school diploma believe colleges should teach our heritage as do 74 percent with graduate degrees. However, the impact of college in advancing civic knowledge, as evidenced in ISI’s first two studies, is minimal. In the new study, this trend is confirmed. The average score among those who ended their formal education with a bachelor’s degree is 57 percent or an “F”, which is only 13 percentage points higher than the average score of 44 percent earned by those who hold high school diplomas. And when you hold other non-college influences constant, the gain from a college degree drops to about 6 percent, quite consistent with past ISI findings.

Further demonstrating the minimal influence of college in advancing civic literacy, ISI discovered that the civic knowledge gained from the combination of engaging in frequent conversations about public affairs, reading about current events and history and participating in advanced civic activities is greater than the gain from an expensive bachelor’s degree alone. Conversely, talking on the phone, watching owned or rented movies and monitoring TV news broadcasts and documentaries diminish a respondent’s civic literacy. “People may be listening to television experts talk about economic bailouts and the platforms of political candidates, but they apparently have little idea what our basic economic and political institutions are,” observes Dr. Richard Brake, ISI’s Director of University Stewardship. “Our study raises significant questions about whether citizens who voted in this year’s landmark presidential election really understand how our system of representative democracy works.” For example, Brake points out that less than half of all Americans can name all three branches of government. And only 21 percent know the phrase “government of the people, by the people, for the people” comes from Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address, which President-elect Barack Obama cited in his acceptance speech on Election night.

Following is a sampling of other results from several basic survey questions:
�� 30 percent of elected officials do not know that “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” are the inalienable rights referred to in the Declaration of Independence; and 20 percent falsely believe that the Electoral College “was established to supervise the first presidential debates”
�� Almost 40 percent of all respondents falsely believe the president has the power to declare war
�� 40 percent of those with a bachelor’s degree do not know business profit equals revenue minus expenses
�� Only 54 percent with a bachelor’s degree correctly define free enterprise as a system in which individuals create, exchange and control goods and resources
�� 20.7 percent of Americans falsely believe that the Federal Reserve can increase or decrease government spending

“The nation’s ignorance of the kind of knowledge necessary for informed and responsible citizenship—and the failure of our nation’s colleges to effectively address and fix this problem—would certainly be unacceptable to our founding fathers, who believed that the university would create leaders to preserve liberty,” asserts Dr. Brake. “Our report demonstrates that Americans today expect no less from our colleges than our founders did.”

The report calls upon elected officials, administrators, trustees, faculty donors, taxpayers and parents to reevaluate collegiate curricula and standards for accountability. Some of the questions ISI believes need to be asked are the following:

o Do colleges require courses in American history, politics, economics and other core areas?
o Do colleges assess the civic or overall learning of their graduates?
o Do elected officials link college appropriations to real measures of civic or overall
learning?

“Citizenship is a life-long commitment,” says Bunting. “Colleges need to do their part to help young citizens keep their commitment. In the process, they will be helping to preserve the civic vitality of our nation.”

The ISI test was administered in conjunction with Dr. Kenneth Dautrich of the University of Connecticut and Braun Research, Inc. All 33 questions and ISI’s Our Fading Heritage report are available at www.americancivicliteracy.org.

About the Intercollegiate Studies Institute
The Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) (www.isi.org) was founded in 1953 to further in successive generations of American college youth a better understanding of the economic, political, and ethical values that sustain a free and humane society. With ISI’s volunteer representatives at over 900 colleges, and with more than 65,000 ISI student and faculty members on virtually every campus in the country, ISI directs tens of thousands of young people each year to a wide array of educational programs that deepen their understanding of the American ideal of ordered liberty.

Wonder if the C4L can help out with this dearth of knowledge - help fill the knowledge gap?

polomertz
11-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I believe their answers are wrong on a couple of them. Question 5: the correct answer was the eletoral college is a constitutionally mandated assembly that elects the president. It is NOT a constitutionally mandated assembly. In fact, it doesn't appear once in The Constitution.

Also, Question 30: to get us out of a recession their answer was decrease taxes & increase spending?!!? How does that work?

SnappleLlama
11-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Also, Question 30: to get us out of a recession their answer was decrease taxes & increase spending?!!? How does that work?

I didn't get that one, either :confused:

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 09:03 AM
90% for me. Missed three questions (admittedly not great on the history front)

Original_Intent
11-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Missed only question 8. 96.97%

Jeremy
11-20-2008, 09:10 AM
well I passed =o

SnappleLlama
11-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Can someone explain the answer to #30? I still don't get it :(

Jeremy
11-20-2008, 09:11 AM
oh wow, we must be too smart for this test because apparently it doesn't think of long term problems and inflation???

And for everyone confused, it's probably implying that government spending will give people jobs... typical statist answer though.

Original_Intent
11-20-2008, 09:14 AM

It obviously doesn't work but that's what Keynesians do.

The theory is that by lowering taxes, people have more to spend and that by government spending that also helps the economy because they have added liquidity via inflation to the economy.

Yes it obviously means more debt, but as they are saying even now, "we can't worry about debt, we need to do this to save the economy". Which makes as much sense as getting another credit card to help your financial situation.

The quiz didn't say it was the RIGHT thing to do, it asked what fiscal policy was.

This is your government at work.

SnappleLlama
11-20-2008, 09:16 AM
It obviously doesn't work but that's what Keynesians do.

The theory is that by lowering taxes, people have more to spend and that by government spending that also helps the economy because they have added liquidity via inflation to the economy.

Yes it obviously means more debt, but as they are saying even now, "we can't worry about debt, we need to do this to save the economy". Which makes as much sense as getting another credit card to help your financial situation.

The quiz didn't say it was the RIGHT thing to do, it asked what fiscal policy was.

This is your government at work.

Ahhh, got it! Thanks for the explanation! :D

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 09:19 AM

I guessed this one correctly, after arguing with myself. My interpretation was that the typical government solution to stimulating an economy would be to stimulate the general population by reducing taxes, and to provide immediate stimulus to commercial activity by spending on programs and sending relief checks to consumers. And yes, this is contrary to what we all know should be the correct answer to the question.

I have a problem with the way question 33 was worded. Their correct answer needed to have the word "average" in it.

brandon
11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I didn't get that one, either :confused:

Yea, many questions on this quiz are really misleading or just flat out wrong. That question asked what policy is a government most likely to pursue, not which policy is the best to pursue. In that case,. most often governments decrease taxes and increase spending, even though that is not the best policy.

Question 31 is messed up too. It is...

33) If taxes equal government spending, then:
A. government debt is zero
B. printing money no longer causes inflation
C. government is not helping anybody
D. tax per person equals government spending per person
E. tax loopholes and special-interest spending are absent

The answer the test gives is D, which is correct. But C is also a valid answer IMO. Many of these questions are subjective. Not a good test.

Edit: C not B

Wadesc
11-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Which of the following fiscal policy combinations would a government most likely follow to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?

Haha, so do they want me to give the real answer or the answer they want to hear?

So the government is somehow going to Decrease Taxes and Increase Spending?

At least they admit they are going to go on a spending spree.

Oh and who else thought this one was weird too.

International trade and specialization most often lead to which of the following?
A. an increase in a nation’s productivity
B. a decrease in a nation’s economic growth in the long term
C. an increase in a nation’s import tariffs
D. a decrease in a nation’s standard of living

I didnt like this quiz, it made me feel dirty.

SnappleLlama
11-20-2008, 09:35 AM
i didnt like this quiz, it made me feel dirty.

lol!

smithtg
11-20-2008, 09:38 AM
missed 4 questions.

some seemed 'loaded' like the recession one. Almost made me laugh

hopeforamerica
11-20-2008, 09:38 AM
I got all of the important ones correct ;)

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 09:42 AM
C4L, among many other things, needs NEEDS an educational wing. A survey/quiz like this should be available.

A C4L Certification program would be phenomenal. Think along the lines of the Microsoft Certified Professional program.

It's basic goal would be to ensure those certified had expertise in certain areas of Liberty-consciousness. There could be different specialization tracks - constitution, economics, etc. Wonder if there are other organizations (Mises maybe?) that C4L could partner with to develop the curriculum & certification program.

Imagine if we could get elected officials, party members and leaders, and voters to consider C4L Certification a highly regarded part of political candidates' resumes.

EDIT: http://campaignforliberty.com/education.php It's a start, listing relevant books, videos, kindred organizations.

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 09:50 AM
After 23 test takers, we're already blowing the general public's numbers out of the water - way to go, RPF!

From the ISI website regarding this quiz survey results, across 2500 American adults:
Major Findings
Finding 1:
Americans Fail the Test of Civic Literacy
Seventy-one percent of Americans fail the test, with an overall average score of 49%.

Liberals score 49%; conservatives score 48%. Republicans score 52%; Democrats score 45%.
Fewer than half of all Americans can name all three branches of government, a minimal requirement for understanding America’s constitutional system.

SnappleLlama
11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Fewer than half of all Americans can name all three branches of government, a minimal requirement for understanding America’s constitutional system.

Oooh! I know, I know! The Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria!!

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 09:56 AM

My kids learned this (the correct answer) in government elementary school.

FindLiberty
11-20-2008, 10:08 AM
answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Q #30 was crap... I refused to give 'em the answer they were looking for* 'cause it's destructive in the long run

*(inflation pays for gov spending without taxation)

tggroo7
11-20-2008, 10:10 AM
To you people bitching about question 30, look at what it is asking. There are two words in the question that made me realize what the right answer was: "Which of the following fiscal policy combinations would a government most likely follow to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?"

Cutting or freezing spending isn't going to stimulate the economy. Yes, it is the smartest thing to do, but my quiz doesn't phrase the question as "What is the smartest thing for government to do?" But maybe I just got a different test. Plus, no government in the world would do that if it explicitly wants a boost during a severe recession.

Also, can someone help me out with #33, I can understand why the answer is what it is (D.), but I don't know why choice A is wrong.

I'm not arguing or complaining, but just looking for a little education on that one.

brandon
11-20-2008, 10:17 AM
To you people bitching about question 30, look at what it is asking. There are two words in the question that made me realize what the right answer was: "Which of the following fiscal policy combinations would a government most likely follow to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?"

Cutting or freezing spending isn't going to stimulate the economy. Yes, it is the smartest thing to do, but my quiz doesn't phrase the question as "What is the smartest thing for government to do?" But maybe I just got a different test. Plus, no government in the world would do that if it explicitly wants a boost during a severe recession.

Also, can someone help me out with #33, I can understand why the answer is what it is (D.), but I don't know why choice A is wrong.

I'm not arguing or complaining, but just looking for a little education on that one.

Debt is not the same thing as deficit. If choice A said "A. government deficit is zero" it would be correct.

Think about it like this. If today our government cuts all spending to the point where it is equal with taxes they will have "balanced the budget" but our previous multi trillion dollar debt will still remain.

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 10:17 AM

I chose A for this one as well. At face value, it's not wrong. I'm assuming the questioners consider it an incorrect answer because it doesn't necessary follow directly. In other words, government could still have debt even though taxes=spending. Part of the spending could be paying off prior debt. Very poorly worded question.

Rocket80
11-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I got 24/33 (72%). Decent I suppose, I also put A for #33 but in retrospect I should have thought it through more. It was an okay quiz, def. worth the time.

And I am ashamed to admit that I got #7 wrong, and I'm surprised I didn't know that. Oh well.

tggroo7
11-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I chose A for this one as well. At face value, it's not wrong. I'm assuming the questioners consider it an incorrect answer because it doesn't necessary follow directly. In other words, government could still have debt even though taxes=spending. Part of the spending could be paying off prior debt. Very poorly worded question.

I see. Thanks.

majinkoola
11-20-2008, 10:31 AM

It was worded that way purposely, because people often mistake debt for deficit. Everything else could be true, but the question only implies D. And I don't think #30 is wrong. It will stimulate the most economic activity during that recession. But it will cause a greater recession (and concurrently reduce economic activity that much more) later on.

tggroo7
11-20-2008, 10:35 AM
...And I don't think #30 is wrong. It will stimulate the most economic activity during that recession. But it will cause a greater recession (and concurrently reduce economic activity that much more) later on.

Exactly.

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
It was worded that way purposely, because people often mistake debt for deficit. Everything else could be true, but the question only implies D. And I don't think #30 is wrong. It will stimulate the most economic activity during that recession. But it will cause a greater recession (and concurrently reduce economic activity that much more) later on.

Yep. Typically political narrowly-focused approach to a solution we're living today that looks at the immediate with no view of the larger picture or underlying economics. If one simply asks the same question, but brings it down to the individual level, the correct answer jumps right out at you.

angelatc
11-20-2008, 11:11 AM
81.82%

roho76
11-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Some of these answers would have varied based on time frame and wether we are talking about how it should be or how it is. Not a very good quiz IMO.

jabrownie
11-20-2008, 11:46 AM
You answered 32 out of 33 correctly — 96.97 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 78.5%
Average score since November 20, 2008: 78.5%

You can take the quiz as often as you like, however, your score will only count once toward the monthly average.

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

Where to from here?

Answers to Your Missed Questions:

Question #14 - B. stressed the sinfulness of all humanity

Thought the puritans were against war....must've been the quakers. The guys in early pennsylvania...arg.

RockEnds
11-20-2008, 12:17 PM
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

I missed #'s 31 & 33.

SWATH
11-20-2008, 12:49 PM
90% missed three including two history questions and the weirdly worded one about what to do during a recession.

1000-points-of-fright
11-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Some of those questions aren't even civics related. They're just historical trivia. Sputnik?

Minlawc
11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Some of those questions aren't even civics related. They're just historical trivia. Sputnik?

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking putting that in. It has nothing to do with civics let alone American civics.

kaleidoscope eyes
11-20-2008, 01:24 PM
As someone who was never particularly interested in American History, I thought getting 79% was suprisingly good for me! lol
And yeah, some of those questions were bunk.

Sheepdog11
11-20-2008, 01:25 PM
You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 78.4%
Average score since November 20, 2008: 78.4%

I can't complain... some of the questions were worded badly though.

georgiaboy
11-20-2008, 01:27 PM
over 60 players, and 98+% scored C or Better. Sweet!

RedLightning
11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
These are the ones I got wrong-

Question #13 - E. certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason
Question #19 - B. teaching evolution in the schools
Question #27 - A. the price system utilizes more local knowledge of means and ends
Question #30 - C. decreasing taxes and increasing spending
Question #32 - C. buying or selling government securities
Question #33 - D. tax per person equals government spending per person

You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %

thehighwaymanq
11-20-2008, 02:13 PM
79%.

garyallen59
11-20-2008, 02:57 PM

what can i say? i'm a consistent "c" student. :D

James Madison
11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
29 out of 33. Missed #13, 30, 31, and 32. Some of the questions were a little skewered towards a certain answer but overall a decent test.

dude58677
11-20-2008, 07:22 PM
So it isn't government corruption that is the problem but just dumbness.

RSLudlum
11-20-2008, 07:57 PM
82%

What's up with question #30's 'correct answer'? WTF?? Decrease Taxes, Increase Spending??? :confused:

nate895
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
82%

What's up with question #30's 'correct answer'? WTF?? Decrease Taxes, Increase Spending??? :confused:

It asked what it is most likely to do, not what it should do.

I got 32/33. I totally guessed on 13 and wound up being wrong.

AJ Antimony
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice find, 87.88%

ShannonOBrien
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
79%

Original_Intent
11-20-2008, 09:36 PM
I bet 30 is the most missed question. Keynsian economics is flat-out counter-intuitive. I think we are pulling the average up by taking it, when I took it this morning the average for the month was around 70%, by the end of the day the average had risen several percentage points.

axiomata
11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
94%

Missed these two:

Question #8 - C. appoint additional Supreme Court justices who shared his views

For #8 I let my distrust of FDR cloud my judgment. I figured he'd be audacious enough to unconstitutionally remove them from office. Shoulda thought that one through.

For #33 it's on of those things I thought too hard about. It's been a while since I've taken a MC test and I forgot the don't over think it rule. I was going to go with D but I reasoned that one person may get more loot from the government and not pay as much as the another instead of just looking at it mathematically. And I assumed they meant deficit instead of debt.

The key with #30 is that it says what policies would government likely follow not what should they follow.

yongrel
11-20-2008, 09:50 PM
100%

forsmant
11-20-2008, 09:51 PM
You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %

Question #7 - D. Gettysburg Address
Question #13 - E. certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason
Question #15 - E. Thomas Jefferson’s letters

I answered number 30 and 33 correctly but the quiz answered them wrong. I did not read this thread.

axiomata
11-20-2008, 09:52 PM
I linked to a different civics quiz a while back. It was put out by the same group.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=23181&highlight=civics+quiz

I am happy to say I've done better since then. No small part to the Revolution, I am sure. I know I haven't taken a US History/Government or Civics class in that time.

Here's the results from then:

>94 8 9.52%
88-93 17 20.24%
82-87 20 23.81%
76-81 14 16.67%
70-75 12 14.29%
64-69 7 8.33%
58-63 2 2.38%
52-57 1 1.19%
46-51 0 0%
<46 3 3.57%

Much better than the average if I recall.

Number19
11-20-2008, 10:25 PM
You answered 33 out of 33 correctly - 100%

Kludge
11-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Doesn't the president have the power to veto a declaration of war, thus technically giving him the power to declare war by signing the bill into law?

Kludge
11-20-2008, 10:49 PM
You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

Question #4 - B. Would slavery be allowed to expand to new territories?
Question #27 - A. the price system utilizes more local knowledge of means and ends

4 & 7 were trivial facts I forgot, 27 was a bit ambiguous IMO but my fault, and I answered 33 like a jackass :p C. government is not helping anybody

Conza88
11-20-2008, 11:05 PM
You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

Question #10 - C. Religion

:rolleyes: FAIL test. FAIL.

nodope0695
11-20-2008, 11:33 PM

georgiaboy
11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
bump

Ron Paul Vermont
11-21-2008, 10:33 AM

Who were they? :D

tommyzDad
11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
You answered 25 out of 33 correctly — 75.76 %

Below average! So so dirty! :p

tggroo7
11-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by SnappleLlama

Who were they? :D

The three ninjas I believe.

James Madison
11-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Doesn't the president have the power to veto a declaration of war, thus technically giving him the power to declare war by signing the bill into law?

I don't think so. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 11 states that only Congress has the authority to declair war. Nowhere in Article 2 does it mention about overridding a congressional declaration.

hotbrownsauce
11-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Change one of those "b" votes to an "A" vote. I accidentally selected B instead of A
I got a 91% I missed 30 out of 33, not bad =).

The rest of you had amazing scores as well. It shows that the more people understand the constitution and the economy the more likely they are Ron Paul supporters. This should give us good ideas on how to get people in the tent with us! Educate them on our constitution and then expose them to the Campaign For Liberty and similar organizations.

ifthenwouldi
11-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Missed four.

Now for my wife... :(

Malakai
11-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I got a 73%. Not bad considering I haven't had a history class since 5th or 6th grade, and I now have an associates degree.

If it wasn't for getting involved in the RP movement I most certainly would have failed.

Malakai
11-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh I strongly disagree with their answer to question number 30, what should government do to stimulate the economy out of a recession?

I answered decrease taxes and spending.
The answer they give is decrease taxes and increase spending (inflation++).

My answer is the austrian answer, their answer is the keynesian one.

sparebulb
11-21-2008, 05:52 PM
90.91% and ashamed that I missed three.

Our nation is screwed when so many have such little knowledge of the mechanisms of government and our nation's history.

nate895
11-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh I strongly disagree with their answer to question number 30, what should government do to stimulate the economy out of a recession?

I answered decrease taxes and spending.
The answer they give is decrease taxes and increase spending (inflation++).

My answer is the austrian answer, their answer is the keynesian one.

The question doesn't ask what the government should do, but rather what does it do.

nate895
11-21-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't think so. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 11 states that only Congress has the authority to declair war. Nowhere in Article 2 does it mention about overridding a congressional declaration.

Congressional declarations of war are bills, so they must be passed by both houses of Congress and then the President must sign it. A President has never vetoed a declaration of war, because the Congress has an unspoken rule that the President must ask for one.

Verad
11-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Got every question right except for 30, and I'm not sure I was wrong on that one, but, it's not my quiz.

Cowlesy
11-21-2008, 06:16 PM
100% bitches, yesterday.

libertea
11-21-2008, 07:38 PM

I'm a dumb ass when it comes to Lincoln and religion. They are the dumb asses on economics.

Bruno
11-21-2008, 07:41 PM

I'm a dumb ass when it comes to Lincoln and religion. They are the dumb asses on economics.

I missed the same ones except #19. :( oh well. I can live with myself! :)

MGreen
11-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Whoops, I got three wrong, because I read two of them wrong (First Amendment question and Roe v Wade question), and was confused by the correct answer for the last question about taxing = spending. I knew that "government debt is zero" was a trick, but I wasn't sure what they might have meant by "tax per person equals government spending per person."

Still, 90%. If I wasn't multi-tasking, it would have been 100.

StilesBC
11-21-2008, 10:04 PM
68% - But I'm Canadian, so, uh, my dog ate my homework... :)

Kludge
11-21-2008, 10:39 PM
100% bitches, yesterday.

You're doing it wrong...

RSLudlum
11-22-2008, 12:13 AM
what a coincidence that this quiz has 33 questions and one of Thomas Woods' books is entitled "33 questions about American History you're not suppose to ask" :D

Athan
11-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Here are my results:

Civics Quiz

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.8%
Average score: 77.8%

You can take the quiz as often as you like, however, your score will only count once toward the monthly average.

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

Where to from here?

Question #29 - B. a resident can benefit from it without directly paying for it

Anti Federalist
11-22-2008, 04:33 AM

Some misleading questions...you had to deduce the correct answer from the set given.

Took about 7 minutes.

Not bad for a HS drop out.:D

LOL - was looking over some of the "official's" scores.
http://www.naixsi.co.uk/bunchies.gif

Kilrain
11-22-2008, 05:58 AM

politicsNproverbs
11-22-2008, 06:56 AM
FUN, actually... though wish I had done better... :(

But it was too long for me being too tired... I was ready to quit around #20.

Or was it they got harder toward the end...:confused:

I saw at least two or three 100%'s here. Wow, I'm impressed, people.

A bunch of Smarties here. Great going! Especially outdoing the "elected officials." Yeah! :D

So did anyone put in their "income" in the drop down menu? :eek: and education level?

And if the A students get a gold star for their forehead...

And the B students get a silver star...

What do the C students get? :o

Nuttin'??

You answered 25 out of 33 correctly — 75.76 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.8%
Average score: 77.8%

Whew! At least I did better than the politicians at 44% !

What was the main issue in the debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas in 1858?

I had chosen C: Do Southern states have the constitutional right to leave the union? - Pffff. Why didn't they ask about Andrew Jackson? I know a lot more about him! :)

The Bill of Rights explicitly prohibits:
Question #6 - D. establishing an official religion for the United States

I had chosen B: discrimination based on race, sex, or religion... which I didn't think was right but oh well, couldn't think of where that phrase DOES come from ...

In 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional. President Roosevelt responded by threatening to:

I chose D - a total guess, ie,. override the Supreme Court’s decisions by gaining three-quarter majorities in both houses of Congress

Business profit is:
Question #26 - C. revenue minus expenses

I chose B. assets minus liabilities -- which I thought applied to individuals, but then I thought the word "revenue" applied to governments, so I was lost as to what applied to "business." I've never been a bookkeeper, not my cup o' tea.

Free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government’s centralized planning because:

I ALMOST picked "A"... I went back and forth, as I SO wanted to get this right, but oh well, I guessed C. more tax revenue can be generated from free enterprise -- Figured if people were free to create business they make more moola and in that way the feds get more taxes outta all of the businesses... :cool:

A flood-control levee (or National Defense) is considered a public good because:

Pfff, well, answer E says basically the SAME thing, doesn't it? = E. government pays for its construction, not citizens

International trade and specialization most often lead to which of the following?
Question #31 - A. an increase in a nation’s productivity

Amazing... as I was thinking int'l trade was a bad thing... = D. a decrease in a nation’s standard of living

If taxes equal government spending, then:

I was glad to see others answered same as me on this: C. government is not helping anybody - LOL, so true!

But at least I got the PURE-i-tans RIGHT! :D

And SPUTNIK, too! Ha! :D (showing my age on that one)

And wow, the chart on their other page for the elected officials vs. citizens is amazing... the citizens whopped the elected officials in 32 out of 33 categories!

See the chart, here's the link...

Elected Officials Score Lower than the General Public

THE ISI CIVIC LITERACY survey was not designed to test the civic knowledge of elected officials, but it did discover evidence of an interesting pattern that may merit further exploration.

Are You Smarter Than a Politician?
OF THE 2,508 PEOPLE surveyed, 164 say they have held an elected government office at least once in their life. Their average score on the civic literacy test is 44%, compared to 49% for those who have not held an elected office. Officeholders are less likely than other respondents to correctly answer 29 of the 33 test questions. This table shows the “knowledge gap” for each question: the difference between the percentage of common citizens who answered correctly and the percentage of officeholders who answered correctly. http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/2008/additional_finding.html

politicsNproverbs
11-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Any fellow conspiracy nutters out there, let me borrow your tin-foil hat so I will be covered as I say...

Two things about this test reminded me of the Freemasons...

1. ISI is the acronym of the institute which is one "I" short of ISIS, the Freemasonry goddess.

2. The test had 33 questions... 33 being one of the most revered numbers in Masonry.

OK, I got that off my chest! Carry on!

------------------

As for their page which says OUR FADING HERITAGE... well, what do you expect with the decades long DUMBING DOWN of the public school system? Hello. You reap what you sow, and you sowed the youth into brain-dead...

dude58677
11-22-2008, 08:42 AM
"I can't be the smartest guy in the world. The questions weren't that hard."

Luke Wilson, Idiocracy

MikeStanart
11-22-2008, 09:15 AM
87%

Infamouswoodster
11-22-2008, 12:57 PM

Now, i understand the test said i was wrong. But how is A the incorrect choice?

If Goverment spending = only the tax money they receive, Would it not be true that debt would be = Zero. Its called a balanced budget?

MikeStanart
11-22-2008, 01:35 PM

Now, i understand the test said i was wrong. But how is A the incorrect choice?

If Goverment spending = only the tax money they receive, Would it not be true that debt would be = Zero. Its called a balanced budget?

That one stumped me too.

I figured it just takes into account that there might be previous deficits.

11-22-2008, 03:00 PM

I'm in economics — a basic explanation:

When you decrease taxes, people have more money to spend, and thus consumption rises, which is good for the economy. When the government spends money, employment rises, and thus the economy is more fully employed. When you expand the money supply, the short-term effect is positive because people have more money to spend and invest (nevermind the long term effects that we all know of).

I disagree with the practice, but it does work. Government spending can stimulate the economy in the short term.

Not to say Keynes was right on about his overall theory, but anytime you inject money into the economy the SHORT TERM effect is usually going to be positive.

It's just "conventional wisdom," which is why we have to tell people that what works right now is not what works tomorrow, and that getting back to a liberty-based society is the most productive way to live.

axiomata
11-24-2008, 12:51 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081120/od_afp/ushistoryeducationoffbeat

WASHINGTON (AFP) – US elected officials scored abysmally on a test measuring their civic knowledge, with an average grade of just 44 percent, the group that organized the exam said Thursday.

Ordinary citizens did not fare much better, scoring just 49 percent correct on the 33 exam questions compiled by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI).

"It is disturbing enough that the general public failed ISI's civic literacy test, but when you consider the even more dismal scores of elected officials, you have to be concerned," said Josiah Bunting, chairman of the National Civic Literacy Board at ISI.

"How can political leaders make informed decisions if they don't understand the American experience?" he added.

The exam questions covered American history, the workings of the US government and economics.

Among the questions asked of some 2,500 people who were randomly selected to take the test, including "self-identified elected officials," was one which asked respondents to "name two countries that were our enemies during World War II."

Sixty-nine percent of respondents correctly identified Germany and Japan. Among the incorrect answers were Britain, China, Russia, Canada, Mexico and Spain.

Forty percent of respondents, meanwhile, incorrectly believed that the US president has the power to declare war, while 54 percent correctly answered that that power rests with Congress.

Asked about the electoral college, 20 percent of elected officials incorrectly said it was established to "supervise the first televised presidential debates."

In fact, the system of choosing the US president via an indirect electoral college vote dates back some 220 years, to the US Constitution.

The question that received the fewest correct responses, just 16 percent, tested respondents' basic understanding of economic principles, asking why "free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government's centralized planning?"

Activities that dull Americans' civic knowledge include talking on the phone and watching movies or television -- even news shows and documentaries, ISI said.

Meanwhile, civic knowledge is enhanced by discussing public affairs, taking part in civic activities and reading about current events and history, the group said.

BuddyRey
11-24-2008, 01:07 AM
88%, but a few of the economics questions are dreadfully biased.

yaz
11-24-2008, 01:36 AM
I missed 13 and 30.

FrankRep
08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Old thread bump, but I'm really impressed by the scores of the Ron Paul supporters.

Here's the rest of America:

Americans Score an “F” in American History (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/culture/education/551)

Mary Benoit | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
25 November 2008

On November 20, 2008, the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/index.html) (ISI) released a report entitled “Our Fading Heritage: Americans Fail a Basic Test on Their History and Institutions.” This report is the third of its kind and is based on the knowledge that is required for a person to earn American citizenship.

The 2008 report asked 2,508 American adults from various backgrounds 33 civics questions (to take quiz, click here (http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx)). Shockingly, 71 percent of adults surveyed failed the test with an overall average score of only 49 percent. In fact, only 272 of those surveyed even made a passing grade of a “C” or better.

The questions asked in the survey are not difficult, and many should be answered without much thought or hesitation. Some of the questions asked in the quiz include identifying the three branches of government, understanding the contents of the Bill of Rights and who has the power to declare war, and defining a free market system.

The report’s summary begs the obvious question, “Do Americans possess the knowledge necessary to participate wisely in the affairs of the nation?” If the overall average of the survey was not eye-opening enough, one of the findings in the report indicate that our elected officials know even less about American civics than the general public. The elected officials scored an average of 44% ... 4 percentage points lower than the average quiz taker. A November 20 ISI press release (http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/content/our_fading_heritage_11-20-08.pdf) stated: “There is an epidemic of economic, political, and historical ignorance in our country,” says Josiah Bunting, III, Chairman of ISI’s National Civic Literacy Board. “It is disturbing enough that the general public failed ISI’s civic literacy test, but when you consider the even more dismal scores of elected officials, you have to be concerned. How can political leaders make informed decisions if they don’t understand the American experience? Colleges can, and should, play an important role in curing this national epidemic of ignorance.”

Don’t let the title fool you. Engaging in frequent conversations about politics and other public affairs, reading history books, or even participating in community activities may just make you more knowledgeable about American civics than elected officials, or those with college degrees alone.

If Americans do not become more knowledgeable about their historical roots, how can we preserve our wonderful Constitutional Republic for future generations to enjoy? Americans must begin to take an active interest in American civics, and promote a stronger emphasis in American history and heritage in our educational institutions, if we wish to reverse this gradual decline of understanding basic American principles.

Interested in learning your grade in American civics? Take the online quiz (http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx) and see where you rate in the national average. (This writer scored 82 percent).

Good luck!

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/culture/education/551

Mckarnin
08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
72% I did well on the more historical ones but got some of the policy questions wrong. I think I had a hard time figuring out if they wanted to know which option had the best chance of working or which one the government would be likely to say effects "x" result.

priest_of_syrinx
08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
93.94% Booyakasha!

tpreitzel
08-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Americans' ignorance of their history due to revisionism and outright avoidance has been planned for decades. Even during the 1970s, civics was rarely taught in the public schools. Public schools don't educate, they indoctrinate.

2young2vote
08-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I got 78%. I missed the history questions, ones like the Lincoln debate one.

Tarzan
08-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I believe their answers are wrong on a couple of them. Question 5: the correct answer was the eletoral college is a constitutionally mandated assembly that elects the president. It is NOT a constitutionally mandated assembly. In fact, it doesn't appear once in The Constitution.

See Article II, section I of the constitution. See also Amendment 12.
The president was not intended to be elected by popular vote... and for some darned good reasons. Same with Senators (though that has been changed through amendment). There are several reasons... one of the primary reasons was to help point out how important LOCAL elections and representatives should be considered. We are a representative government (republic) not a democracy. A lot of problems with our government may have been avoided by carefully selecting our local representatives (both state & national)... then holding their feet to the fire when they do not represent us properly. The electors also help reduce the threat that a single state or region would have control of the presidency. There are other reasons that on consideration make good sense and we need to carefully examine those reasons before insisting on change.

You answered 33 out of 33 correctly — 100.00 %

Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%
Average score: 75.6%

Slutter McGee
08-30-2009, 02:10 AM

Just didn't know this one.
I chose E. . government pays for its construction, not citizens. Perhaps somebody can explain to me the difference. Obviously we pay for it through taxes, but I assumed it did not mean directly.
I chose A. government debt is zero. I was thinking deficit, not debt and assuming a set period of time. I am glad I missed this, as its a reminder not to confuse the two things in the future.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

AggieforPaul
08-30-2009, 02:33 AM
missed 3, and one of them was #30, because I chose what they should do, not what they are actually doing.

Don't Tread on Mike
08-30-2009, 07:49 PM
oh wow, we must be too smart for this test because apparently it doesn't think of long term problems and inflation???

And for everyone confused, it's probably implying that government spending will give people jobs... typical statist answer though.

Well it would have helped if we had an educated civics teacher...

Kbeaubs
08-30-2009, 08:25 PM
For being a couple decades out of college, I thought 4 wrong wasn't so bad :)

Thrashertm
08-30-2009, 09:10 PM

Stary Hickory
08-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Well I missed the Gettysburg Address question and the what would government likely do to cure a recession......but lets be honest they always INCREASE SPENDING AND TAXES.

So I mean it depends on what historical example you take, The great depression was increased taxes and spending. This recession is the same way. Republicans like tax cuts... and unforutnatley like to spend too. So that question is a bit silly if you ask me.

bill50
09-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Article 2 Section 1. Its not named as the electoral college, but its in there.

newbitech
09-06-2009, 07:45 PM
You answered 26 out of 33 correctly — 78.79 %
Average score for this quiz during September: 74.6%
Average score: 74.6%
You can consult the following table (http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/2008/additional_finding.html) to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.
Where to from here? (http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/whereto.html)

Anti Federalist
09-06-2009, 08:11 PM
If Americans do not become more knowledgeable about their historical roots, how can we preserve our wonderful Constitutional Republic for future generations to enjoy?

We cannot, and we won't and some make a very good case that it's too late in any case.

And that has been the point.

This level of idiocy is not accidental.

fj45lvr
09-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Debt is not the same thing as deficit. If choice A said "A. government deficit is zero" it would be correct.

Think about it like this. If today our government cuts all spending to the point where it is equal with taxes they will have "balanced the budget" but our previous multi trillion dollar debt will still remain.

answer A makes the most sense....they did not define that "debt" has to include PAST liabilities....it is theoretical...if you have a balanced budget you will have no debt.

They should have worded the question differently to include a view for a timeframe

tonesforjonesbones
09-07-2009, 07:36 AM
81.82 I also missed question 30. I mostly missed the economics questions..I hate math. UGH! tones

centure7
09-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I scored a less than impressive 79% / C-, though the practical use of knowing most of those questions is debatable. In fact I'm not sure if I would have felt bad for failing... though if I did fail I'm not sure I would have posted an admission here :)

GunnyFreedom
09-20-2009, 03:48 AM

Average score for this quiz during September: 74.5%
Average score: 74.5%

Where to from here?

tremendoustie
09-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Icymudpuppy
09-20-2009, 12:31 PM
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

someperson
09-20-2009, 04:44 PM

The Plato question... guessed wrong ;)

I answered "believed in complete religious freedom." I suppose that's what the Puritans sought by fleeing the Church of England, but perhaps they didn't "believe?" Odd.

I didn't like this answer for obvious reasons, so I selected something else.

Like everyone else here, probably, I answered decreasing both, knowing it would be wrong since it said what would a government "most likely do" instead of what it "should do." Interventionists.

Again, answered "government is not helping anybody" knowing it would be wrong lol