OptionsTrader
11-18-2008, 05:01 PM
I heard about this on the radio and thought you all may be interested:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/6119459.html

Dick Cheney, Alberto Gonzales indicted in S. Texas
Charges related to alleged abuse of prisoners in federal detention centers
Associated Press
Nov. 18, 2008, 4:59PM

McALLEN, Texas — A South Texas grand jury has indicted Vice President Dick Cheney and former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on charges related to the alleged abuse of prisoners in Willacy County's federal detention centers.

The indictment criticizes Cheney's investment in the Vanguard Group, which holds interests in the private prison companies running the federal detention centers. It accuses Cheney of a conflict of interest and "at least misdemeanor assaults" on detainees by working through the prison companies.

Gonzales is accused of using his position while in office to stop an investigation into abuses at the federal detention centers.

Another indictment charges state Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr. with profiting from his public office by accepting honoraria from prison management companies.

The indictments were first reported by KRGV-TV.

heavenlyboy34
11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Who had the cajones to get this started? :confused:

Calpico
11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
So does that mean if they ever go to South Texas they get arrested?

HOLLYWOOD
11-18-2008, 08:08 PM
South Texas is halliburton country... but, its more Ron Paul country!

Dubya, Perry, and the Ole Cronie GOP will give the criminals Immunity!

The political Elitist, are above the LAW

Dianne
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Funny, never heard a word of this on our government owned news media...

Do they still have hangings in Texas??

Mesogen
11-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Wasn't it in south Texas where that mean old man put his face in the way of Dick Cheney's birdshot? It's a good thing that happened there because they made him apologize. If that had happened somewhere else, they might have even tried to pin it on Dick Cheney!

Sandra
11-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I guess ole Dick has lost his magic.

AmericasLastHope
11-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Wasn't it in south Texas where that mean old man put his face in the way of Dick Cheney's birdshot? It's a good thing that happened there because they made him apologize. If that had happened somewhere else, they might have even tried to pin it on Dick Cheney!

It happened in the county on the southern border of the one mentioned in the article.

Roxi
11-18-2008, 10:32 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h9PvQtj8plxTnRZS7hHmJap_Rt2AD94HOCQ00

heres the link to the AP article (prob same one)

why isn't this all over the news? so they can keep from telling anyone about the dropping of the charges.... we need to have a call bomb to all the MSM networks

anyone know where the old media list of numbers went to?

OptionsTrader
11-18-2008, 11:13 PM
In the interest of preserving a record of news, the following is the text from the Corpus Christi newspaper. (http://www.caller.com/news/2008/nov/18/willacy-county-das-final-actions-cheney-indicted/?printer=1/)

Willacy County DA's final actions: Cheney indicted
VP is accused in abuse at federal detention centers
Staff and wire reports
Originally published 11:26 p.m., November 18, 2008
Updated 12:20 a.m., November 19, 2008

With about a month left in office, a South Texas district attorney has gotten indictments against Vice President Dick Cheney, former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and a half-dozen other officials including a state senator and two judges.

Willacy County District Attorney Juan Angel Guerra himself had been under indictment for more than a year and half on charges including extortion before a judge dismissed the indictments last month. This flurry of charges came in the twilight of Guerra's nearly two decades in office, which will end Dec. 31, after he lost in the Democratic primary in March.

Cheney and Gonzales were indicted in connection with allegations of abuse in the county's federal detention centers.

"This is obviously a bogus charge on its face, as any good prosecutor can recognize," Gonzales' attorney, George Terwilliger III, said in a written statement. "Hopefully, competent Texas authorities will take steps to rein in this abuse...."

The case is likely to go before Fifth Administrative Judge J. Manuel Bañales of Corpus Christi because a district judge who would have heard it is among those indicted.

Cheney's indictment on a charge of engaging in an organized criminal activity criticizes the vice president's investment in the Vanguard Group, which holds interests in the private prison companies running the federal detention centers. It accuses Cheney of a conflict of interest and at least misdemeanor assaults on detainees because of his link to the prison companies.

Megan Mitchell, a spokeswoman for Cheney, wouldn't comment on Tuesday, saying the vice president had not yet received a copy of the indictment.

The indictment accuses Gonzales of using his position while in office to stop an investigation in 2006 into abuses at one of the privately-run prisons.

Corpus Christi defense attorney Grant Jones, a former district attorney, said Guerra made a bold move by pursuing the indictments against the high-profile figures.

"The law is fact driven. I hope he has his facts together," Jones said. "It's one thing to indict somebody. It's another thing to step into a courtroom and prove it."

Last month, a Willacy County grand jury indicted The GEO Group, a Florida private prison company, on a murder charge in the death of a prisoner days before his release. The three-count indictment alleged The GEO Group allowed other inmates to beat Gregorio de la Rosa Jr. to death with padlocks stuffed into socks. The death happened in 2001 at the Raymondville facility.

In 2006, a jury ordered the company to pay de la Rosa's family $47.5 million in a civil judgment. The Cheney-Gonzales indictment makes reference to the de la Rosa case.

Another indictment released Tuesday accuses state Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr. of profiting from his public office by accepting honoraria from prison management companies.

Lucio's attorney, Michael Cowen, accused Guerra of settling political scores in his final weeks in office.

The other indictments targeted public officials connected to Guerra's own legal battles.

Willacy County Clerk Gilbert Lozano, District Judges Janet Leal and Migdalia Lopez, and special prosecutors Mervyn Mosbacker Jr., a former U.S. attorney, and Gustavo Garza -- a long-time political opponent of Guerra -- were indicted on charges of official abuse of official capacity and official oppression.

Lopez, who as presiding judge of the 197th District Court would have heard all the cases related to the indictments, filed a voluntary order late Tuesday recusing herself from the cases involving local figures. That put those indictments before Bañales.

Bañales said he plans to travel to Willacy County today to review and sign the indictments related to the local officials. He said he has no immediate plans to order any arrests.

Bañales said Lopez has not recused herself from hearing the case involving Cheney and Gonzales, but because she faces a possible suspension as a result of being indicted that case also likely will fall to him. It will be up to the State Commission on Judicial Conduct whether to suspend the two indicted district judges.

Last month, Bañales dismissed indictments against Guerra that charged him with extorting money from a bail bond company and using his office for personal business. An appeals court had earlier ruled that Garza improperly was appointed as special prosecutor to investigate Guerra.

After Guerra's office was raided as part of the investigation early last year, he camped outside the courthouse in a borrowed camper with a horse, three goats and a rooster. He threatened to dismiss hundreds of cases because he believed local law enforcement had aided the investigation against him.

On Tuesday, Guerra said the indictments speak for themselves. He said the prison-related charges are a national issue and experts from across the country testified to the grand jury. Asked about the indictments against local players in the justice system who had pursued him, Guerra said, "the grand jury is the one that made those decisions, not me."

Garza called the situation a sad state of affairs.

"I feel sorry for all of the good people this unprofessional prosecutor has maligned," Garza said. "I'm not at all concerned about the accusations he has trumped up."

Staff writer Mary Ann Cavazos and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Indy Vidual
11-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I heard about this on the radio and thought you all may be interested

Best news I've heard all day, thanks. :)

Athan
11-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Hah! Yeah I was actually going to post this information. I have front row seats to this affair! I live 20 minutes from Willacy county.

I wish I could give you all more information, but there is a serious mess with the Willacy county legal system and there are serious political maneuvering and fighting there. I'm not saying I think the charges are false, it is just... we don't know what the hell is exactly going on. And now this BEAUTIFUL news? .

I think those charged are getting a get out of jail free card simply because of the legal turmoil there.

Kotin
11-19-2008, 12:28 AM
good to see you back OptionsTrader!

raiha
11-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Do they still have hangings in Texas??
:D :D YeH but the good Congressman Paul is agin them for fear they will get the wrong man.

Working Poor
11-19-2008, 04:32 AM
Surely nobody thinks anything will come of this. Cheney has already proven he is above the law...

Sandra
11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
:rolleyes:Cheney will be embroiled in lawsuits for the rest of his unnatural life. I hope the stress doesn't get to him.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-20-2008, 03:27 AM
RAYMONDVILLE, Texas — A Texas judge has set a Friday arraignment for Vice President Dick Cheney, former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and others named in indictments accusing them of responsibility for prisoner abuse in a federal detention center. Cheney, Gonzales and the others will not be arrested, and do not need to appear in person at the arraignment, Presiding Judge Manuel Banales said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6121865.html

hillbilly123069
11-20-2008, 12:22 PM
He'll plead guilty and get George to pardon him before leaving office.

maqsur
11-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I guess it's good that they are being indicted for something, but you would think Congress should have long ago impeached Cheney and Bush over Iraq. Then again, you'd have to impeach most of congress as well.

It's unfortunate, however, that at the time in early in 2003, if I recall there was a majority of the US population who supported invading Iraq.

The moral of the story is, what's the point of impeaching one person? The problem is systemic, and with a largely apathetic, war-happy electorate, and a servile rubber stamp congress, I am really very pessimistic about anything changing in this country.

Don't get me wrong, the whole Revolution has been great, and I'm glad that we Paulians are out there and growing, but let's not forget how formidable the road ahead is. God help us all.

OptionsTrader
11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
The problem is systemic, and with a largely apathetic, war-happy electorate, and a servile rubber stamp congress, I am really very pessimistic about anything changing in this country.

I continue to hand out RP's Manifesto to people that I meet that seem open to or curious about the idea of liberty & its vital importance. The problem is largely one of ignorance resulting from the power of television to shape the minds of individuals. When you start presenting an inteligent person with the incontrovertable truth of what freedom meant to the founders and what it takes to maintain individual freedom, most importantly a constrained government shackled by the constitution and the vigilence of individuals to demand the government monster remain in its largely dormant form for fear of the destruction of liberty by a predictable monsterous erruption of unlimited power, that intelligent person realizes that much of what they thought they knew was fed to them by men seeking to enslave them.

AmericasLastHope
11-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Arraignment Set for Cheney, Gonzales in Prisoner Abuse Case

RAYMONDVILLE, Texas — A Texas judge has set an arraignment for Vice President Dick Cheney, former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and other officials accused of involvement in prisoner abuse.

Presiding Judge Manuel Banales said Wednesday he will allow them to waive arraignment or have attorneys present rather than appear in person Friday.

Banales also said he would issue summonses, not warrants. That allows them to avoid arrest and the need to post bond.

Willacy County District Attorney Juan Guerra accuses Cheney, Gonzales, a state senator and others of involvement in prisoner abuse at a federal detention center in south Texas.

Defense attorney Tony Canales accuses Guerra of "prosecutorial vindictiveness" and not following procedure.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454965,00.html

tsopranos
11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Also posted here...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=169609

The Texas DA That Got Cheney and Gonzales Indicted Has Gone Missing.

Willacy County prosecutor Juan Angel Guerra stumped a presiding judge and attorneys for clients as high up as Vice President Dick Cheney when he failed to show up to court on his own grand jury’s indictments.

The no-show infuriated attorneys who’d spent the day milling about with what they’d hoped would be slam-dunk motions to quash the cases.

And it put Presiding Judge Manuel Bañales in a position he said he’d never been in before.

“At the very least I expected the district attorney to be here,” Bañales said, asking Guerra’s office manager, “Do you know where he is?”

http://killfile.newsvine.com/_news/2008/11/20/2132095-the-texas-da-that-got-cheney-and-gonzales-indicted-has-gone-missing-