PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Get the Libertarian Party to endorse Paul

RPFever
05-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I haven't put a ton of thought into this idea so there may be some consequences I haven't considered - so please provide feedback.

The idea:

Contact Libertarian Party, ask them for this once, to endorse Paul. I know it is a long shot - Libertarians stand for principles - but they need Paul in as much as the Constitution and country needs him (think minority party vote reform).

It's worth a shot to try and petition them

Here's the link:

http://www.libertarianparty.net/press/presscontact.shtml

ARealConservative
05-29-2007, 10:35 PM
As a party they can't do such a thing. Something about bylaws.

So they will run a token candidate.

LibertyOrDie
05-29-2007, 10:41 PM
We have a thread about this:

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=767

Michael Badnarik, the 2004 Libertarian Candidate endorses RP and suggest Libertarians too as well, there is a major divide in the Libertarian party right now about it. You will notice in the 2nd post on the above thread the bylaws were also discussed. You can see more about Michael Badnarik's endorsement here:

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/02/23/libertarian-badnarik-endorses-ron-paul/

FSP-Rebel
05-29-2007, 10:54 PM
IF the LP doesn't endorse Dr. Paul, then I'll never give them a dime again.

torchbearer
05-30-2007, 12:14 AM
If Ron Paul doesn't get the Republican Nomination he should seek the libertarian nomination. the libertarian party has ballot access in all the states. He can use all the renown he is garnering right now to push him into the eye sight of the country.

lucky
05-30-2007, 12:23 AM
No he needs the Republican nomination. It is the prize we all need to focus on and no other.

Craig_R
05-30-2007, 12:51 AM
I've been pushing my party to do just that, however, if we or they I guess, were to do such a thing it would ruin our ballot access. the LP convention where we nominate a candidate is prior to the primaries so we'll already have a candidate if Paul doesnt get the nod.

KingTheoden
05-30-2007, 06:20 AM
At this point, Ron Paul and all of his supporters (including us) should focus on one thing: winning the Republican nomination. If we make too much reference to running as the nominee of other parties, it can marginalize Ron Paul.

Parties like the Libertarian Party and Constitution Party should on their own nominate Ron Paul; if they were to not do so, regardless of whether or not he wins the GOP nomination, these parties would show flat out that they have no value whatsoever. But in the mean time, we should keep our eyes on the target, the Republican nomination.

hambone1982
05-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Parties like the Libertarian Party and Constitution Party should on their own nominate Ron Paul; if they were to not do so, regardless of whether or not he wins the GOP nomination, these parties would show flat out that they have no value whatsoever. But in the mean time, we should keep our eyes on the target, the Republican nomination.

Agreed.

Bradley in DC
05-30-2007, 08:27 AM
As a party they can't do such a thing. Something about bylaws.

So they will run a token candidate.

Not necessarily by-laws, but state election law, yes. However, in some states (NY, CT, etc.), candidates can run on more than one "line" and be the nominee of several parties (Right to Life, Conservative, Liberal, Democrat, Republican are all significant parties here). When D'Amato beat incumbent Javits for the Republican Senate nomination, D'Amato (also running on the Conservative and Right to Life lines) ran against Javits (on the Liberal line only this time) and the Democrat to get elected in the general election.

It is also, I understand, legally possible for the LP to run their own candidate in states that don't allow multiple line nominations and still support Dr. Paul. Here's how it could work: when we vote in the general election, we're not voting directly for president (as in a direct democracy) but for our choice of electors at the Electoral College (in our democratic republic) that support our choice for president. The LP nominee could choose the very same electors to the Electoral College as Dr. Paul chooses. The effect would be to add to Dr. Paul's vote where it counts!