PDA

View Full Version : What will become of Federal Govt. employees?

wgadget
09-09-2007, 05:17 AM
And are there enough of them to stop this revolution?

Slugg
09-09-2007, 05:21 AM

Nope.

If Ron Paul had his way, I'd lose my job.

I'm a government contractor (by proxy) ... and here I am.

Don't worry.

Even many other contractors I work with are for Ron Paul. Those on the government dole understand spending is out of control.

wgadget
09-09-2007, 05:24 AM
HAHA. I used to work for the Dept. of Defense myself, and the slowness and ineptitude (not to mention apathy) of the workers was incredible. I was in charge of paying phone bills (peon job, I know), and there were bills that had been screwed up for YEARS. While I was trying to straighten them out, my boss couldn't have cared less....It was discouraging.

foofighter20x
09-09-2007, 05:25 AM
1) The Federal gov't fires a bunch of employees and contractors.
2) No longer paying them a salary or other employee benefits, and from the savings from selling off offices that are no longer needed and no longer require government funds for upkeep and maintenance, the government saves billions of dollars per year.
3) All that additional revenue means that the taxes that generated them can be cut or repealed.
4) That money then goes back into/stays in the economy.
5) That money in the economy creates jobs...
6) ...which those former federal workers then fill, actually producing goods for the economy, something they weren't doing before while working for the government.

ladyliberty
09-09-2007, 06:18 AM
The problem will be that the federal employees will now have to actually compete for their jobs, and many of them have been pampered and pacified for so long that they no longer have the skills capable of allowing them to re-enter the job market. I am sure there will need to be some vocational rehabilitation training to get them back into the swing of things...drinking coffee and eating donuts is not a job skill. Neither is doing your nails while making personal phone calls. Taking 4 day weekends, one month vacations, and figuring out how to creatively use even more sickdays is not a competitive job skill either.

I am not saying all government employees are like this, but those of us who HAVE worked for the government know exactly what I am talking about!

MikeStanart
09-09-2007, 06:47 AM
The problem will be that the federal employees will now have to actually compete for their jobs, and many of them have been pampered and pacified for so long that they no longer have the skills capable of allowing them to re-enter the job market. I am sure there will need to be some vocational rehabilitation training to get them back into the swing of things...drinking coffee and eating donuts is not a job skill. Neither is doing your nails while making personal phone calls. Taking 4 day weekends, one month vacations, and figuring out how to creatively use even more sickdays is not a competitive job skill either.

I am not saying all government employees are like this, but those of us who HAVE worked for the government know exactly what I am talking about!

Oh man, where can I sign an application!? LOL

Akus
09-09-2007, 07:08 AM
That's the irony that escapes all those pundits and know-it-all experts. Even the government contractors, whose bread is paid for by the government, are supporting RP...

Givemelibertyor.....
09-09-2007, 07:12 AM

As our President and the paid TV "economic analysts" tell us, the economy is doing great, and there are plenty of jobs that Americans just won't do.

So I would point the Fed employees towards fast food restaurants, Wal-Mart, or the local day labor agency.

mesler
09-09-2007, 07:30 AM

Do you remember that big hoopla that was made over more DoD people supporting RP than other candidates? The way that was determined was people searched for "US NAVY" and such for employer. In other words, those are federal employees that we were bragging about supporting Paul in a big way. And they are not all foot soldiers from Iraq or something, there is no indication that those people who donated were not civilian employees. As a matter of fact, a civilian employee was the one who introduced me to RP early this year before he had announced.

I work for a government contractor. I drive to work with a RP bumper sticker, and I'm not alone. Do I need to throw my political philosophies out of the window? No. Should I not work for the company I work for because they do alot of work for the govt? I don't think so. Some people who are more liberal may think they have a right to govt jobs and money, but not libertarians and true conservatives. It's beneficial to have those two ideologies in govt positions because when it does come time to cut programs, there is not much of a fight to keep them. :cool:

JenHarris
09-09-2007, 08:08 AM
There is also the fact that each of the states is going to have to step things up to cover for some of the programs that will be eliminated as they move to the state level and this will create jobs.

Also he can't just fire everyone in January, it will happen in stages. So as people retire they just won't add new employees and stuff like that. I'm not an expert but I would guess that there are tons of ways just like this to make the change as painless as possible, and I trust Dr. Paul to find them.

jumpyg1258
09-09-2007, 08:48 AM
If Ron Paul had his way, I'd lose my job.

I'm a government contractor (by proxy) ... and here I am.

Don't worry.

Even many other contractors I work with are for Ron Paul. Those on the government dole understand spending is out of control.

Same here, I will most likely lose my job if Ron Paul wins the election but I don't care, its for the good of the country.

austin356
09-09-2007, 09:38 AM
"If DC is in Recession, America is booming"

If that is in the Context of a Paul admin.

im_a_pepper
09-09-2007, 09:42 AM
I think you are being hasty, I know I heard him say in reference to a question asked that he would not snuff government employees positions exactly. Funding would have to change as well as swelled budgets for the Departments, even some Depts. entire function rerouted to help efficiency. According to the national budget less than 20% of funding per dept. covers salaries. So a compromise is cheap!

In other words I wouldn't fear losing your job, just as he has said the IRS or Fed Reserve would not disappear on election day, just their purpose would be scaled back until we as a society move towards smoothly functioning without them completely.

angelatc
09-09-2007, 09:42 AM

The government employees can replace the illegal workers.

michaelwise
09-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Many if not most of the current government employees will be laid off by the time the 2008 election rolls around. Government revenues are already starting to dry up, due to unemployment increasing, and consumer spending dropping. State employees and local employees are already being laid off because of sales tax short falls, transfer tax and property tax short falls, and the severe recession that has already started. Government employment numbers are going to crash, as the economy crashes. I don't think Ron Paul has to worry about laying government people off. The free market will do it for him.

rodent
09-09-2007, 10:21 AM

I work on an NSF grant for the government. The entire project is a multi-million dollar waste. They spent a few million on a web site that gets maybe 90 hits a week, and no one inside seems to understand that the point of having a web presence is to get traffic, not to muck around with stupid ideas.

If Ron Paul came in and got rid of all of these bozos, he'd be doing a favor for America -- even if I lost my job.