PDA

View Full Version : Don't let Obama fool you about Biofuels, heres why

btalex1990
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Biofuels in my opinion is the worst idea in history, human history, auto history, and even for the sheepies.

I heard on a TV show called Broken Government that

Biofuels or ethanol uses entirely coal powered transport the ethanol (means coal companies make massive profits, more pollution)
Biofuels means more government farm subsidies (Means more land forcefully taken away from hard working farmers)
Not from show: Biofuels means more limits on our foods, food prices soar, more and more subsidies to corn based products, popcorn may be limited and high
It would only cut our oil addiction by 7% which means the poor can't drive anymore, only rich and a portion of middle class if completely off of oil

Obama needs to get his facts straight before he pushes another money sucking government funding program.

We need an idea like one I shared on the P2P Networks on a completely battery powered super vehicles, and all stations run on independent energy sources like solar, main grid, hydroelectric, tesla coil, wind, etc etc and so they actually make money off of their fuels and not some giant megacorporations which means cheap fuel, no catastrophes, more competition, and our economy can be stabled by non-inflationed prices. Also all stations will use superchargers that charge very quickly for convenience.

I designed the blueprints, all I need is obamas approval. I can show u the blueprints at any forum member or moderators request.

Kotin
11-17-2008, 12:09 PM
you see?!

we have heard about energy independence for 3 decades now!

and when they actually come up with a proposal it is corn ethanol

WTF! you could make ethanol from a yearly crop and yield 270 gallons per acre, it burns clean and replenishes the soil.. and it is called HEMP!

Hiki
11-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Solar power, wind power, geothermal, magnetic power, compressed air -cars... There are tons of opportunities and it's sad how biofuel is being marketed as "the savior".

SnappleLlama
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Nuclear power, baby!

Fox McCloud
11-17-2008, 12:59 PM
If someone could just figure out how to contain and store all the hot air that Washington produces, we'd solve all of our energy problems once and for all.

btalex1990
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM
those are all good answers. There are tons of ways of generating electricity.

bike powered, hand crank, recycling trash and human waste, ocean wave powered

WRellim
11-17-2008, 01:17 PM
If someone could just figure out how to contain and store all the hot air that Washington produces, we'd solve all of our energy problems once and for all.

I we buried them D.C. and Wall Street ...then we could use existing geo-thermal extraction techniques!
:D

OK, OK, I know we could get energy from geo-thermal without burying them; but if we buried them then we'd solve a lot of other problems as well, you know monetary, foreign policy, etc.

SeanEdwards
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Biodiesel from traditional farmed crops is a dead end. It consumes too much energy and land to be a viable replacement for fossil fuels.

However, there are many other possible sources for the carbon chain molecules needed to make biodiesel. Oil from algae is one oft cited source. Many companies are spending big on R&D to develop algal oil to biodiesel systems. Here's an interesting outfit:

www.solazyme.com

They have genetically engineered their algae so that it grows without needing light. Instead of light providing the energy source for the algae, they feed it on a nutrient solution that can be derived from a variety of organic waste materials, such as wood chips, or other plant waste. This lets them scale up the algae production so that it is more like an industrial chemical synthesis rather than farming.

I've also read about a biodiesel production facility being paired up with a Tyson chicken processing plant. The biodiesel plant turns the waste animal fat that would previously have been discarded into biodiesel.

So there is real potential in the future of biodiesel. We just need to slap down the Iowa farmers and their mad subsidy schemes for corn based ethanol because that entire concept is totally unsustainable and artificial.

libertea
11-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't know about Obama's proposal, but I don't think, generally speaking, biofuel is not necessarily bad. The best source of bio-fuel production, last I heard is algae. I don't know what it would take to produce this(I have very little trouble in my pool) but I'm sure it could be done without harming the food supply.

Regardless, the real answer is get the government out of the energy business and the right technology will find its way into the market.

btalex1990
11-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't know about Obama's proposal, but I don't think, generally speaking, biofuel is not necessarily bad. The best source of bio-fuel production, last I heard is algae. I don't know what it would take to produce this(I have very little trouble in my pool) but I'm sure it could be done without harming the food supply.

Regardless, the real answer is get the government out of the energy business and the right technology will find its way into the market.

yes I agree with your post, The biofuel I was talking about was one that subsidizes corn and uses coal but algae would be better, they could grow it right where they make the oil so theres no coal being used.

Good idea, maybe I'll make blueprints on the factory that will turn algae into fuel and the factory could temporary be runned on a pollutive source then converted to the fuel itself to run the facility and be totally clean and provide fuel.

SeanEdwards
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm going to invent a car that converts the fat of the driver into biodiesel fuel. A liposuction powered vehicle. Then a quick trip through McDonald's drivethrough is all you need to fill your belly, and your fuel tank.

BenIsForRon
11-17-2008, 01:37 PM
The EU is the biggest criminal in this whole scheme. Their subsidies have allowed millions of acres of rain forest in India to be leveled to plant oil palms. We really need to stop thinking in fiscal quarters and start thinking in decades, otherwise our children are going to live in a barren wasteland.

The_Orlonater
11-17-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm going to invent a car that converts the fat of the driver into biodiesel fuel. A liposuction powered vehicle. Then a quick trip through McDonald's drivethrough is all you need to fill your belly, and your fuel tank.

Eew, the air will smell like american fast food. :D

bojo68
11-17-2008, 05:20 PM
<<<has car in shop, it's burned up 3 diesel(EXPENSIVE) fuel pumps, and one engine so far. All the problems started when the idiot went to "veggie oil". Serves them right, I laugh.

M House
11-17-2008, 05:53 PM
We produce 3% percent of world's C02 yet we are concerned about burning slimy dirt for fuel. Now how is burning stuff that's even nastier better? Seriously people are dumb f@cks when it comes to greenhouse gases. I find it amazing that people don't realize how plants and algae also produce massive amounts of C02 do you really think though the world would be better without them? We pollute and foul our planet with all sorts of shit, but fighting the main byproduct of cellular respiration is like what dead things do.

WRellim
11-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Eew, the air will smell like american fast food. :D

Sniff, Sniff...

Is that Mickey D's french fries... Oh, nope, I guess it's just the fat guy in the "Lipomobile" in front of us. (I guess we should just be glad he didn't make a "Run for the Border"!!!)

:D

WRellim
11-18-2008, 02:14 AM
We produce 3% percent of world's C02 yet we are concerned about burning slimy dirt for fuel. Now how is burning stuff that's even nastier better? Seriously people are dumb f@cks when it comes to greenhouse gases. I find it amazing that people don't realize how plants and algae also produce massive amounts of C02 do you really think though the world would be better without them? We pollute and foul our planet with all sorts of shit, but fighting the main byproduct of cellular respiration is like what dead things do.

The whole CO2 theory of "greenhouse gas" and climate change just doesn't make any sense to me from a physics standpoint.

1) CO2 is such a SMALL % of the actual air (significantly less than 1%) -- and the concentrations at altitude are even LOWER than at sea level (the 387 PPM is a "guesstimate" average based on concentration samples from various altitudes, and extrapolated to the entire volume of our atmosphere).

2) CO2 is a relatively HEAVY gas, and it's presence is a necessary ingredient for plant growth.

3) The vast majority of the REST of the whole "greenhouse/climate change" is science fiction/fantasy and the basis for all of it is the equivalent of the quants' computer models of mortgage debt risk -- highly extrapolated in a very "leveraged" fashion with a bias towards certain interests -- and therefore highly suspect. (The models may be very "precise" and that makes them super impressive to the easily swayed who know little about complex equations and computer models, but that "precision" has nothing to do with "accuracy.")

Mitt Romneys sideburns
11-18-2008, 02:51 AM
dont forget there is not enough farmable land mass on Earth to meet US energy demands.

libertarian4321
11-18-2008, 03:10 AM
Biofuels or ethanol uses entirely coal powered transport the ethanol (means coal companies make massive profits, more pollution)

There is a word or two missing here. You can't possibly mean that ethanol is entirely transported by coal powered transport.

Biofuels means more government farm subsidies (Means more land forcefully taken away from hard working farmers)

Not necessarily. Just because the government has done this in the past doesn't mean that it will have to do so in the future, nor does a lack of subsidy mean that the biofuels industry will dry up and blow away.

Not from show: Biofuels means more limits on our foods, food prices soar, more and more subsidies to corn based products, popcorn may be limited and high

Again, not true. You need to think beyond corn. There are plenty of non-food plants that could be used to produce biofuels.

It would only cut our oil addiction by 7% which means the poor can't drive anymore, only rich and a portion of middle class if completely off of oil

I'm not sure what they based this number on, but I guarantee you its someone's "guestimate" based on a certain set of assumptions (which may be wildly inaccurate or even downright absurd).

Antonius Stone
11-18-2008, 03:15 AM
just one word:

cannabis

RonPaulNewbee
11-18-2008, 04:31 PM
T. Boone Pickens said Barak Obama's energy plan is the same as his.

Freedom 4 all
11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Canada's food prices went way up when the government started fucking around with biofuels. Bad idea.

newyearsrevolution08
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
you see?!

we have heard about energy independence for 3 decades now!

and when they actually come up with a proposal it is corn ethanol

WTF! you could make ethanol from a yearly crop and yield 270 gallons per acre, it burns clean and replenishes the soil.. and it is called HEMP!

Hemp you say?

that almost sounds like a miracle plant of sorts. I wonder what else that amazing plant might be able to do for us? Man just imagine if there was a naturally growing plant that could be used in various industries AND help people ease pain among other things. If something like that ever did get found odds are our government would be more than happy to allow the public to enjoy and use this amazing naturally growing plant right?

Wow, I can't wait until this "hemp" becomes more mainstream so our amazing politicians can say "this can help our economy and save lives? and it could be free for them to produce, we have to let them use it and push them to make their own!".

libertea
11-18-2008, 05:01 PM
just one word:

cannabis

It would cut down on road rage. Sure cut on in. No you were here first, you cut in.

Agent CSL
11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I knew biofuel was fucked when I STUDIED it for a good year and a half, and then WON AN AWARD for my studies.

jyakulis
11-18-2008, 07:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGcLgE52rzw&feature=related