PDA

View Full Version : How can we privatize liquor and wine sales?

Pennsylvania
11-17-2008, 08:19 AM
PA has some really dumb alcohol laws. We have silly regulations on both beer and other alcoholic beverages but what really gets my goat is the complete ownership of liquor and wine sales by the state. Hopping across state lines to Maryland or Delaware, these states have what amounts to liqour grocery-stores, (Total Wine and More comes to mind) but the PA state stores are small, offer little, and they'll be darned if they're going to let you buy on Sundays. How can we get the ball rolling towards privatizing this market? Introduce legislation (would it even have a chance at passing with Rendell as Governor?), organize a boycott? Some other strategy?

Johnnybags
11-17-2008, 08:34 AM
its simple. Not illegal either up to a certain amount. Of course, distillation for hard liquor is ILLEGAL. SHHHHHHHHHHH!

Pennsylvania
11-17-2008, 08:43 AM
its simple. Not illegal either up to a certain amount. Of course, distillation for hard liquor is ILLEGAL. SHHHHHHHHHHH!

Yes homebrewing is a viable alternative to purchasing alcoholic beverages directly. However, you mention that private distillation is illegal, so we still have a problem on our hands for those spirits :). Also, it is difficult for me to imagine convincing enough people to homebrew that it would shake the state monopoly much. :(

brandon
11-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I usually go into NJ to buy my liquor, and my parents travel to Delaware once every couple month to buy large quantities of wine.

So i think homebrewing & buying alcohol out of state is a good solution for now. I would love to see legislation end the governments monopoly on alcohol and the absurd "liquor licenses" they sell, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. They seem to be actually moving in the opposite direction, with the state now banning smoking inside private bars.

WRellim
11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
PA has some really dumb alcohol laws. We have silly regulations on both beer and other alcoholic beverages but what really gets my goat is the complete ownership of liquor and wine sales by the state. Hopping across state lines to Maryland or Delaware, these states have what amounts to liqour grocery-stores, (Total Wine and More comes to mind) but the PA state stores are small, offer little, and they'll be darned if they're going to let you buy on Sundays. How can we get the ball rolling towards privatizing this market? Introduce legislation (would it even have a chance at passing with Rendell as Governor?), organize a boycott? Some other strategy?

You could always move.

You know, vote with your feet.

Come to Wisconsin... we even let kids drink beer in bars (if their parents are present).
cf http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=169087

Truth Warrior
11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Plead your case to the ATF. They REALLY care and maybe they'll just grant you some kind of dispensation. Be sure to get a note from them. ;)

< ROFLMAO! >

Matt Collins
11-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I have never understood alcohol laws... they make zero sense to me.

TastyWheat
11-17-2008, 10:17 AM
I can understand liquor licenses, but only the state can sell liquor? That's kind of scary. I'd do some research on the subject. I really doubt they never let private businesses sell liquor.

Johnnybags
11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Yes homebrewing is a viable alternative to purchasing alcoholic beverages directly. However, you mention that private distillation is illegal, so we still have a problem on our hands for those spirits :). Also, it is difficult for me to imagine convincing enough people to homebrew that it would shake the state monopoly much. :(

left out in the Sun in a solar distiller by mistake(lol). 170 to 185 degree black pipe can do wonders for making errr, portwine. The state monopoly will slowly go defunct as the economy weakens and as always the bootlegging starts again. Newbie recipe.

1. 1 gallon rainwater
2. 2 pounds sugar
3. yeast (small package or less)
4. 1/2 multivitamin(womens)

1 week, 15 percent or so bland booze. Filter it, flavor it and wallah you beat the state.

danberkeley
11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
left out in the Sun in a solar distiller by mistake(lol). 170 to 185 degree black pipe can do wonders for making errr, portwine. The state monopoly will slowly go defunct as the economy weakens and as always the bootlegging starts again. Newbie recipe.

1. 1 gallon rainwater
2. 2 pounds sugar
3. yeast (small package or less)
4. 1/2 multivitamin(womens)

1 week, 15 percent or so bland booze. Filter it, flavor it and wallah you beat the state.

2 punds of sugar? daaaaaaaaaaaamn! :D

dannno
11-17-2008, 12:09 PM
2 punds of sugar? daaaaaaaaaaaamn! :D

The yeast eats the sugar and turns it into alcohol and CO2 (for carbonation)

So yes, the carbonation in beer is essentially made of yeast farts.

danberkeley
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM
The yeast eats the sugar and turns it into alcohol and CO2 (for carbonation)

So yes, the carbonation in beer is essentially made of yeast farts.

CO2? Dont tell the environmentalists! They might ban alcohol making. :D

Truth Warrior
11-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Move to the hills in Tennessee, build a still, get a really fast car and some jugs and mason jars. Voilą! You're in business!!! Look out for them thar revenoors. ;) :D

Matt Collins
11-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Move to the hills in Tennessee, build a still, get a really fast car and some jugs and mason jars. Voilą! You're in business!!! Look out for them thar revenoors. ;) :DActually Kentucky is the state for that.

But oddly enough the county where Jack Daniels is made is a dry county.... makes NO sense :confused:

torchbearer
11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
nationwide whiskey rebellions.

Pennsylvania
12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=171435