PDA

View Full Version : Radio Ad

tremendoustie
11-16-2008, 02:37 AM
In the interests of getting the ball rolling, how about this:

Let's produce a number of 60 second radio ads advocating liberty. They could address different aspects of our liberties which are under attack, being careful to focus on both civil and economic liberties, and both parties, so as to not appear partisan.

Then, we could raise funding and air them in certain markets. I think ads that are political, but not election motivated, might catch people off guard. Also, rates will be lower now that the election is over.

I don't think newspaper ads are effective, and tv ads may be more expensive. Perhaps we could branch out into other media at some point, however.

I don't think we should sit on our hands until 2010 -- let's get the message out while people are pissed about the bailouts, and we're not competing with so many other voices for political attention. What do people think?

LittleLightShining
11-16-2008, 06:23 AM
I love it.

awake
11-16-2008, 06:35 AM
I Have a 60 sec spot made up with Rons words... I can post it.

liberteebell
11-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Being the radio junkie that I am, I'm especially fond of this. But please! None of the garbage that is so often in political ads! We need educational ads, yes, but we also need to tug at people's emotions. I think of all the wonderful youtubes that so many grassroots RP peeps made. Now if someone can just turn that into radio ads.

This economic crisis is a perfect issue on which to educate.

tremendoustie
11-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Great, awake, let's see what you've got.

Let's start working on a script then, and once we have a couple, we can think about how we want to go about recording. I have to go for a while now, but let's post ideas for scripts, or partial scripts, and we can start sorting through the material.

MRoCkEd
11-16-2008, 01:16 PM
great idea
they can perhaps include a plug at the end "for more about these pressing issues, visit campaignforliberty.com"

Matt Collins
11-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Easy to do... I work at a radio station, but do you REALLY think you are going to get the tens of thousands of dollars from people to fund these running on the air?

liberteebell
11-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Easy to do... I work at a radio station, but do you REALLY think you are going to get the tens of thousands of dollars from people to fund these running on the air?

Nothing wrong with starting small and seeing what happens...

Gin
11-16-2008, 04:28 PM
What if you started on Liberty Friendly stations... like talk radio... NPR... christian radio might be another good market to start... low cost I would imagine..

tremendoustie
11-16-2008, 05:20 PM
great idea
they can perhaps include a plug at the end "for more about these pressing issues, visit campaignforliberty.com"

Absolutely -- good idea.

Let's worry about funding after we have the ad. First step is (IMO), we need scripts. Please post ideas here, like the one above, which is a good start. A couple sentences or a turn of phrase that you find convincing is helpful, up to an entire script proposal. I'll try to come up with some material later, I'm pretty busy today.

We put together the NY Times ad, we can do this! Once we have the script(s), we can work on recording, release them for grassroots use, and then work on funding for airtime. Let's not get the cart before the horse ;). And, we can always start small in cheaper markets, and work our way up.

Also oblige me for a moment as I do just what I said not to (I've got the idea now) -- as far as funding and cross promotion goes, what would people think of a line of T-shirts? We'd need some tool to sell them, at a few bucks over cost, with complete transparency --- everyone should be able to see exactly how much has been raised. I know I was thinking of making a t-shirt that reads simply, "Support Liberty", with Liberty in red white and blue, and with perhaps a few choice quotes from founders on the back.

Just an idea -- I think coming up with scripts at this point should be priority #1.

Gin
11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Also oblige me for a moment as I do just what I said not to (I've got the idea now) -- as far as funding and cross promotion goes, what would people think of a line of T-shirts? We'd need some tool to sell them, at a few bucks over cost, with complete transparency --- everyone should be able to see exactly how much has been raised. I know I was thinking of making a t-shirt that reads simply, "Support Liberty", with Liberty in red white and blue, and with perhaps a few choice quotes from founders on the back.

Just an idea -- I think coming up with scripts at this point should be priority #1.

I'll do some research on a shopping cart...e-store setup... I have several that I have used in the past I'll check out and see what they're basic setup is going for these days... they are relatively inexpensive....

So yea, we'll need designs and the shirts... maybe find out where the other shirts are coming from and order from the same source...

I would do it with ALL proceeds going to the radio ads... Plus we could start a chipin now to get the fund raiser ball rolling while we pull it all together...

Matt Collins
11-16-2008, 05:34 PM
What if you started on Liberty Friendly stations... like talk radio... NPR... christian radio might be another good market to start... low cost I would imagine..Stations sell ad time based upon how many people are listening when the ad runs.

tremendoustie
11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
I'll do some research on a shopping cart...e-store setup... I have several that I have used in the past I'll check out and see what they're basic setup is going for these days... they are relatively inexpensive....

So yea, we'll need designs and the shirts... maybe find out where the other shirts are coming from and order from the same source...

I would do it with ALL proceeds going to the radio ads... Plus we could start a chipin now to get the fund raiser ball rolling while we pull it all together...

I agree absolutely that all proceeds should go to the ads, no one makes any money off this. And good ideas! Perhaps those less interested in coming up with script ideas, but more graphically oriented, could start working on designs.

Gin
11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Stations sell ad time based upon how many people are listening when the ad runs.

I understand that.... I was speaking of initially having folks like Glenn Beck, Michael Savage, etc plug a short ad on their show... they plug their own ads, so maybe they would do the same for the movement for small fee.

Maybe I'm being too positive in my thinking, but it's worth a shot... For Liberty...

Gin
11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I agree absolutely that all proceeds should go to the ads, no one makes any money off this. And good ideas! Perhaps those less interested in coming up with script ideas, but more graphically oriented, could start working on designs.

In the scripting I think the you tube format would make great ads... We have had some awesome you tube ads... Have a CFL 60 sec and 30 sec you tube ad contest :D While on radio the video wouldn't be important, but it would certainly help with putting some awesome stuff together.... Just an idea....

awake
11-16-2008, 05:45 PM
My 30 sec spot...

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f2fd14355d20c5b6ab1eab3e9fa335ca30265ce6 62a2b5c0

Matt Collins
11-16-2008, 06:58 PM
I was speaking of initially having folks like Glenn Beck, Michael Savage, etc plug a short ad on their show... they plug their own ads, so maybe they would do the same for the movement for small fee. They are in the business of making money.

Maybe I'm being too positive in my thinkingYeah... pretty much.

tremendoustie
11-17-2008, 09:31 PM
My 30 sec spot...

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f2fd14355d20c5b6ab1eab3e9fa335ca30265ce6 62a2b5c0

I like it, well done!

I'd like to also produce some ads to complement this kind of approach (rather than supplement it), which focus on the message, and are not so explicitly focused on Paul. I think there's a perception that we're just enamored with this one guy, which couldn't be more wrong of course -- he's just a great example of someone who stands up for things we believe in.

I think there may be people who are biased against Paul because of smear campaigns, or just because they've spent so much time trashing him, who might listen to the message apart from the man.

tremendoustie
11-17-2008, 10:02 PM
How about this, for a partial start, for one on the bailouts/debt:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you follow the news, you may be aware that the government has been taking hundreds of billions of our dollars to give to banks as "bailout money". As our country sinks further into debt than it's ever been before, now the auto manufacturers want some free money too. But what do you find when you follow that money? Much of it is going towards more multi-million dollar bonuses for wallstreet fatcats. People realized this so called bailout was unfair when they called congress 10-1 against it, but our legislators ignored the will of the people and passed it anyway. There's another word for forcibly taking money from some people to give to others: theft. The fact is, the current crisis was largely caused by foolish government actions in the first place, and bad businesses that are acting irresponsibly should be allowed to end, so that more efficient and productive ones can take their place. This process is what creates prosperity in free countries like ours. Stand up for your rights, and get the government out of our pockets! Stand up to restore Freedom!

This has been a one minute to liberty presentation. For more information, check out campaign for liberty dot com.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please reply with suggestions, corrections, edits and comments, and more ideas for new material!

tremendoustie
11-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Or, we could set up a grassroots site and plug that instead of campaign for liberty. oneminuteliberty.com is available. Or we could go with a different name. I own ringingliberty.com, it currently goes to my wordpress blog, but we could use that.

I actually like the idea of making this seem independent from Paul, you know, more voices coming from different directions saying the same thing. Maybe a few people won't dismiss it that would otherwise (perhaps because they're unwilling to admit they were wrong).

Nate K
11-17-2008, 11:10 PM
they plug their own ads, so maybe they would do the same for the movement for small fee.

I think those are affiliates, radio hosts get paid per customer - that's why they give the promo code.

this is a good idea, but like most good ideas - i don't foresee it progressing into anything more than just a good idea.

I could be wrong.. hopefully I am

awake
11-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Maybe same format but use the different speakers at the Rally For The Republic?

We can use other speaking events as well...

kathy88
11-18-2008, 05:57 AM

Again, top to bottom isn't working. Let's work up the ads and have the local meetups/CFL groups solicit donations to air them locally. Then go from there.

awake
11-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Yes, I Agree... bottom up.

I will get to work on another with various speakers...

liberteebell
11-18-2008, 07:19 AM
How about this, for a partial start, for one on the bailouts/debt:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you follow the news, you may be aware that the government has been taking hundreds of billions of our dollars to give to banks as "bailout money". As our country sinks further into debt than it's ever been before, now the auto manufacturers want some free money too. But what do you find when you follow that money? Much of it is going towards more multi-million dollar bonuses for wallstreet fatcats. People realized this so called bailout was unfair when they called congress 10-1 against it, but our legislators ignored the will of the people and passed it anyway. There's another word for forcibly taking money from some people to give to others: theft. The fact is, the current crisis was largely caused by foolish government actions in the first place, and bad businesses that are acting irresponsibly should be allowed to end, so that more efficient and productive ones can take their place. This process is what creates prosperity in free countries like ours. Stand up for your rights, and get the government out of our pockets! Stand up to restore Freedom!

This has been a one minute to liberty presentation. For more information, check out campaign for liberty dot com.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please reply with suggestions, corrections, edits and comments, and more ideas for new material!

This is DEFINITELY on the right track. I LOVE the one minute to Liberty line.

I agree that we need to sort of leave Ron Paul out of it, at least directly. I adore the man and when he speaks, it's music to my ears.

However, feedback I've gotten from others outside our movement is that we're a cult of personality, Ron Paul's voice is whiny, he's too negative (oh well, the Truth ain't so pretty, is it?), blah, blah, blah. Sad, but those are the facts.

So I think a fresh approach is in order. And whatever we can do to tug at people's emotions is a huge help.

William Redpath who ran for senator in Virginia on the libertarian ticket did some wonderful ads just before the election. I've been trying to search for them and can't find them. :(

I like the idea of opening the ad with a question: "Did you ever wonder why..." For me, something that begins with a question entices me to listen further.

For example: Did you ever wonder why our elected officials insist on calling themselves our leaders? What happened to the fact that, by law, our elected officials are supposed to represent us?" "Did you ever wonder why, in the midst of a huge economic crisis, no one in Washington is talking about cutting spending?" Did you ever wonder how the government is going to pay for all these bailouts? Where is the money going to come from?"

I know I'm a focus group of one but I listen to the radio a lot and I'm just saying what appeals to me.

Slist
11-18-2008, 08:16 AM
I would leave the "end the fed" out. Although that message is great, the masses yelling unisono "end the fed" sound a little like people in a nationalistic regime. It was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard it :(

On the other hand, people cheering is phenomenal.. it's so intensive and positive!

Slist
11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
bump

tremendoustie
11-20-2008, 12:01 AM
This is DEFINITELY on the right track. I LOVE the one minute to Liberty line.

I agree that we need to sort of leave Ron Paul out of it, at least directly. I adore the man and when he speaks, it's music to my ears.

However, feedback I've gotten from others outside our movement is that we're a cult of personality, Ron Paul's voice is whiny, he's too negative (oh well, the Truth ain't so pretty, is it?), blah, blah, blah. Sad, but those are the facts.

So I think a fresh approach is in order. And whatever we can do to tug at people's emotions is a huge help.

William Redpath who ran for senator in Virginia on the libertarian ticket did some wonderful ads just before the election. I've been trying to search for them and can't find them. :(

I like the idea of opening the ad with a question: "Did you ever wonder why..." For me, something that begins with a question entices me to listen further.

For example: Did you ever wonder why our elected officials insist on calling themselves our leaders? What happened to the fact that, by law, our elected officials are supposed to represent us?" "Did you ever wonder why, in the midst of a huge economic crisis, no one in Washington is talking about cutting spending?" Did you ever wonder how the government is going to pay for all these bailouts? Where is the money going to come from?"

I know I'm a focus group of one but I listen to the radio a lot and I'm just saying what appeals to me.

Hmm, good idea -- what do people, think, would it be better to begin with something like, "Do you ever wonder what gives the government the right to take your money and give it to bankers? As the bailouts run into the trillions, and our country sinks further into debt ...

Also, please suggest further improvements. I'm quite sure we can do better than, and improve upon, what I came up with. More material would be great too - we want more than one ad. Actually, to be a minute long, this one could probably be lengthened too.

DeadheadForPaul
11-20-2008, 12:08 AM
This is a great idea!

1.) I would recommend NOT using Ron Paul audio clips. He is polarizing and may immediately turn some people off. Also, he doesn't have the best voice for radio - love him but true

2.) It should definitely point out that DEMS and REPUBS are responsible for it

3.) We might need to put together some sort of PAC called "Americans for Liberty" or "Citizens For Liberty" (don't use an "Against" in the name)

4.) We could have a different issue every month. Everyone throws in 5 bucks or so. Get this up on Campaign for Liberty