PDA

View Full Version : Signwaving in Outer Banks

robatsu
09-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I was driving home to DC from two weeks on the beach in Ocracoke NC - this entails driving up the length of the Outer Banks. Somewhere a little bit north of Hatteras, there were about 6-10 people on both sides of the two lane highway waving Ron Paul signs. How cool is that? I beeped, thumbs up, would have jumped out and helped, but w/wifey and all...

Plus, a little later on, on the main highway leading up to Norfolk from currituck area, for about a mile, there was a RP sign about every 500 feet. FWIW, there was no other evidence of any other candidate the whole way.

This helps my wife feel like I'm not some sort of lone lunatic.

specsaregood
09-08-2007, 11:42 PM
//

princessredtights
09-09-2007, 11:11 AM
That's cool - our meetups in the area are doing "banner brigades" Monday - Friday from 5-7 pm - For example: Every Wednesday group meets at the same place each week.

We have made a lot of "custom" signs on coroplast that are mounted into the ground by stakes (removable). We also have some signs that we hold and each brigade. We usually have at least 1 4x8 sign that says "Ron Paul 2008". We also try to have a large American flag to wave as well. Examples of the custom signs:

Question US Foreign Policy

Who Owns Your Candidate: www.opensecrets.org

Dr Ron Paul cured my Apathy

Whoever can make it - RSVP's and shows up. There are dedicated leaders for each night of the week who are in charge of the signs.

We chose our areas so that we were safe and out of the way (so the police wouldn't have to "worry" :rolleyes: ) and the places were chosen because the traffic is naturally slow at those places and times ...

We have received such a great response! Last week - I can recall only 9 "negative" gestures and so many honks and waves!

We just our last 2 meetup members because they have seen our banner brigades1 was a former Obama supporter and the other one kept seeing our signs and decided to "Google" Ron Paul (I think one of our signs says "Google Ron Paul")

MozoVote
09-09-2007, 11:24 AM
What is also interesting is that you are mentioning something that nobody on this site knew about in advance. The movement is large enough now that even a major "node" of news like this one, was not plugged in.

JMann
09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Being from North Carolina and owning a home in Nags Head NC on the Outer Banks (Good luck today with the storm) I can assure you if people are holding signs just North of Hatteras the message as reached the end of the earth. If you are in Ocaracoke you are at two hours from the nearest McDonald's and in Hatteras you are an hour away from fast food. In America you are out there if you are not near fast fat. In this case you are more or less 20 miles out in the Atlantic Ocean. If you can find a place that is that secluded of people waiving Ron Paul signs the message is spreading.

JoshLowry
09-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Thank God for the internet.

ronpaulhawaii
09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
I was driving home to DC...

Another side benefit of sign-waving

That's cool - our meetups in the area are doing "banner brigades" Monday - Friday from 5-7 pm ...

We chose our areas so that we were safe and out of the way (so the police wouldn't have to "worry" :rolleyes: ) and the places were chosen because the traffic is naturally slow at those places and times ...

We have received such a great response! Last week - I can recall only 9 "negative" gestures and so many honks and waves!

We just our last 2 meetup members because they have seen our banner brigades1 was a former Obama supporter and the other one kept seeing our signs and decided to "Google" Ron Paul (I think one of our signs says "Google Ron Paul")

You guys rock!!!

Picking the right zones is very helpful. I have found the cops to be quite helpful, if you are careful where you operate.

I find that even the "negative" response are a positive. Passerby are intrigued and it is another reminder that we are a viable threat to the "establishment".

Keep Up The Good Work!

What is also interesting is that you are mentioning something that nobody on this site knew about in advance. The movement is large enough now that even a major "node" of news like this one, was not plugged in.

And that is two days in a row.

Go Ron Paulers!

mkauai
www.ronpaulriders.com/forum (http://www.ronpaulriders.com/forum)

princessredtights
09-09-2007, 11:59 AM
We already had a couple of run in's with the cops at one of our locations. :rolleyes: They threatened to arrest the group - of course, the group leader asked "on what charge" ... to which the cops replied "you're breaking the law" and to which the leader replied "what law is THAT?" ... So .... no one got arrested but a civil rights attorney was contacted and we all have letters with us that tell us what we CAN and CAN'T do.

Seriously, I would recommend it as an activity - our group leader did some calculations on approx how many cars pass by - estimating how many people in each car (1.5) and in two hours - 10,000 people have seen our signs.

All for two hours of time. Didn't cost me a penny (except for the gas to get there).

We also use the signs in this way - Events!

Each week, a group goes to the farmer's market. We plant signs up and down the entry to the market (they won't let a political group have a booth). We choose signs that really fit with the demographics of the people in Downtown Portland - very progressive/liberal and very anti=war ... We use "Create Peace - Vote Ron Paul for President" "Bring Home the Troops" ... "Democrats for Ron Paul" (we have a lot of democrats in our group). A few members hand out information and answer questions.

Also, Yesterday, a few of us went to Hempstalk - put the signs up and handed out "specific" flyers (so many people already knew about RP but it was good for them to see us making a stand - we are going again today).

Consistency - it's a good thing!

Here's a link to our meetup group pictures - (Including the pictures of the group with the po-po)
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/118/photos/

ValidusCustodiae
11-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I was driving home to DC from two weeks on the beach in Ocracoke NC - this entails driving up the length of the Outer Banks. Somewhere a little bit north of Hatteras, there were about 6-10 people on both sides of the two lane highway waving Ron Paul signs. How cool is that? I beeped, thumbs up, would have jumped out and helped, but w/wifey and all...

Plus, a little later on, on the main highway leading up to Norfolk from currituck area, for about a mile, there was a RP sign about every 500 feet. FWIW, there was no other evidence of any other candidate the whole way.

Hey, some good friends of mine are from Aspen Hill =)

Anyway, Hi. I was one of those 6-10 people. You weren't the only thumbs up beeper. I have been out there waving signs at least 7 times without thinking about it but every time I do it there are more positive responses.

I've also been from one end of this county to the other with a squire guitar amp strapped to the top of my jeep liberty and a huge american flag flying thru the sunroof spreading Ron Paul's message of freedom. Old school campaigning. Everybody that gets in my cab gets Ron Paul literature and a total breakdown of whatever issues they have questions about. I've had surprisingly good results, even from wasted people =c). One guy I remember called his GF and told her she HAD to look up Ron Paul and find out more (he could barely form the sentences, it was hilarious).

Anyway, we're not dropping the ball down here on the beach. The signs you saw in Currituck were mostly not mine, but on Labor Day weekend I had 20 signs up in the southern 12 miles of Currituck.

I am hoping to get some more $ together soon for signs on all the roads west of here. From EC to Edenton to little Washington, I'd like to have some easy to spot signs out in the country and at major turnoffs. There might already be signs there, I haven't checked.

Edit P.S. add There are Ron Paul supporters springing up all over where I live now, the seeds we've been sowing have taken root. It's only a matter of time !!!

robatsu
11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Keep it up Validus, you made our day back then.

speciallyblend
11-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Yep more the reason why i left va.nc,at least here in colorado the cops stop and ask you whats up and thank you once you tell them RON PAULS MESSAGE,beginning to think the eastcoast is about 15 yrs politically behind the times. coming from a va/nc native

Mark
11-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Way cool..

You must have driven through "Nags Head" (Outer Banks) then..

That's where my avatar and profile pics were taken this past August..

I don't live there (I'm in Raleigh) but..

I ended up there one morning after my work week ended.. (delivery)

and took a couple of days.. mini-vacation.. there (Nags Head)

spiteface
11-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Former Manteo guy here, just wanted to say way to go Outer Bankers!

ValidusCustodiae
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Former Manteo guy here, just wanted to say way to go Outer Bankers!

Meetup.com rules =)

Yep more the reason why i left va.nc,at least here in colorado the cops stop and ask you whats up and thank you once you tell them RON PAULS MESSAGE,beginning to think the eastcoast is about 15 yrs politically behind the times. coming from a va/nc native

You'd be surprised at the responses I've gotten from law enforcement and also some blackwater guys. That day robusto saw us several cops drove by and when they saw the signs they were honking waving and thumbs upping too. I've given literature to a few.

Yes, we're a little behind. It's the bible belt. Thankfully, those that are behind enough are paleo-conservatives like Ron Paul anyway so they love him too =)

Primbs
11-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Reagan's first primary victory in 76 was North Carolina. Are there any others in Western North Carolina?

rancher89
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
We're taking our very first vacation (not involving visiting relatives..) this next week before thanksgiving. Destination: Eastern Shore. Wasn't planning on taking signs, but after reading the above, slim jims will be put on gas pumps, cards on tip plates, etc.

We're in Charlotte, NC and have lived in the VA Bch area before that.

thehittgirl
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM

It's nice to see signs in other places.

We were in Philly, we stayed in the airport zone, and were happy to see signs around there..I know it's not far from downtown, but it still made us pretty happy :D

Hubby says when we spot another RP supporter and vice versa, it's as if we're in a club or something-lol.

JMann
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Reagan's first primary victory in 76 was North Carolina. Are there any others in Western North Carolina?

He had Cous'n Jesse [Helms] supporting him at the time.

Dan Hall
11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Nice to hear about support for Ron Paul down south there. I was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point from 1978 - 1981. Used to love swooping up to NYC from there every other week or so.

speciallyblend
11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Meetup.com rules =)

You'd be surprised at the responses I've gotten from law enforcement and also some blackwater guys. That day robusto saw us several cops drove by and when they saw the signs they were honking waving and thumbs upping too. I've given literature to a few.

Yes, we're a little behind. It's the bible belt. Thankfully, those that are behind enough are paleo-conservatives like Ron Paul anyway so they love him too =)

thats kewl ,I lived in va beach and went to outer banks alot,but i dont think ill ever go east of denver in my lifetime other then to viosit my parents;)