PDA

View Full Version : Arrest the traitors

Tatsit
11-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I have an Idea, when Bush and the rest of his staff are done with the white house, why don't the people place a citizens arrest on them and charge them with treason? And since our rights for a trial and can hold us for as long as we like, lets do the same... what do you all think?

Golding
11-15-2008, 04:16 AM
I have an Idea, when Bush and the rest of his staff are done with the white house, why don't the people place a citizens arrest on them and charge them with treason? And since our rights for a trial and can hold us for as long as we like, lets do the same... what do you all think?I believe presidents as well as staff still retain security after they leave office. Good luck getting close to them.

Maverick
11-15-2008, 05:03 AM
I believe presidents as well as staff still retain security after they leave office. Good luck getting close to them.

There was an act signed in 1997 that limited the Secret Service protection of former presidents to only 10 years after they leave the office, rather than lifetime protection. It only applies to presidents who began their term after that date, so Bush would be the first to have this change applied to him. However, he will have probably fled the country by then.

slothman
11-15-2008, 10:43 AM
It might be easier to "arrest" Congressmen.
I don't know how citizens' arrests work on them though.

Danke
11-15-2008, 11:04 AM
It might be easier to "arrest" Congressmen.
I don't know how citizens' arrests work on them though.

These days, citizens arrest = terrorist action.

Tatsit
11-15-2008, 11:37 AM
These days, citizens arrest = terrorist action.

lol so true

Golding
11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
There was an act signed in 1997 that limited the Secret Service protection of former presidents to only 10 years after they leave the office, rather than lifetime protection. It only applies to presidents who began their term after that date, so Bush would be the first to have this change applied to him. However, he will have probably fled the country by then.So that means he'll lose Secret Service protection by 2019. Considering the short memory span our voters tend to have when it comes to politics, he'll probably be in the clear. Or will probably hire his own security service. His family isn't poor.

Jbrabble
11-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I believe we need legislation that expands the definition of treason to include any proposed legislation or executive order that infringes in any way on constitutional rights. It would be one more safeguard against tyranny