PDA

View Full Version : Judge Andrew Napolitano: Revolution is Duty

nbruno322
11-13-2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5KJ2aD8F0

Cowlesy
11-13-2008, 06:33 PM
He's such a great speaker, if only we could get him to run for President.

If he runs for President in 2012, He'll get $4,600 from me.

nate895
11-13-2008, 06:34 PM

I think he deserves the spot as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Sadly, Mr. Bush appointed a younger guy to that post.

Kotin
11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I love that man.

torchbearer
11-13-2008, 06:41 PM
is there a video with more of the speech.
I didn't know the declaration was adopted as law by the congress.

nate895
11-13-2008, 06:45 PM

It wouldn't really matter if it was or it wasn't, it is part of the Organic Law of the 13 states who were established by it. Repealing it (or simply not recognizing it as law) would be like the English repealing the Magna Carta. Even if they do that, it is still the law of the land.

Matt Collins
11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I love the Judge.

But yes, the DoI says that "That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these [rights], it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

torchbearer
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
It wouldn't really matter if it was or it wasn't, it is part of the Organic Law of the 13 states who were established by it. Repealing it (or simply not recognizing it as law) would be like the English repealing the Magna Carta. Even if they do that, it is still the law of the land.

yeah, but if its part of the u.s. code, that brings in other mechanisms.
if you are following the law by revolting, makes it a different matter.

nate895
11-13-2008, 07:18 PM
yeah, but if its part of the u.s. code, that brings in other mechanisms.
if you are following the law by revolting, makes it a different matter.

It would make it easier to use in court, as your revolution wouldn't be a revolutionary act if it was stated in the code.

I guess that is funny, you cannot have a true revolution in the United States unless it is a Communist or Fascist Revolution.

torchbearer
11-13-2008, 07:24 PM
It would make it easier to use in court, as your revolution wouldn't be a revolutionary act if it was stated in the code.

I guess that is funny, you cannot have a true revolution in the United States unless it is a Communist or Fascist Revolution.

Actually, I did see on article posted on this forum that said the same thing.
It said technically, we'd be restoring the constitution, as in restoration not revolution.

RSLudlum
11-13-2008, 07:27 PM

http://mises.org/media.aspx?action=author&ID=1063 ;)

nate895
11-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Actually, I did see on article posted on this forum that said the same thing.
It said technically, we'd be restoring the constitution, as in restoration not revolution.

Even if we were trying to change something (like make a new constitution), as long as it respected natural rights, it would fall under the "alter or abolish" language.

qh4dotcom
11-13-2008, 08:04 PM

I guess you're married...otherwise you can only give a maximum of $2,300 :)

Some good news for you...the contribution limits should be raised in 2012...so you can give a little more than $4,600

nbruno322
11-13-2008, 08:09 PM

Here ye go: Full speech at Mises couple weeks ago

www.mises.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJhkJVH13bE

tropicangela
11-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Amazing, amazing. Thx for the links.

socialize_me
11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
*gulps* checkout this .gov website:

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-bin/page.cgi/aa/presidents/jefferson/declar_2

...However, the Declaration is not the law of the land. Do you know what is?

Now being a .gov site, shouldn't they be full of objectivity and technicality?? I'm sure they're implying the supreme law of the land, but that's not what they wrote. Technically all federal laws are laws of the land.

socialize_me
11-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Does anyone happen to have a link to the US Code stating the Declaration of Independence is law? I'm not questioning the Judge, I just want the link

ItsTime
11-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Does anyone happen to have a link to the US Code stating the Declaration of Independence is law? I'm not questioning the Judge, I just want the link

Questioning is always good :cool:

nate895
11-13-2008, 08:33 PM

http://uscode.house.gov/download/downloadPDF.shtml

Under "Organic Laws."

socialize_me
11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Sooo...the Articles of Confederation is also Organic Law?? Meaning what exactly..

pebcak
11-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Sooo...the Articles of Confederation is also Organic Law?? Meaning what exactly..

That had me wondering as well, but the Constitution is also listed under organic laws.

pebcak
11-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Interesting.. looking more closely at the part of the Declaration of Independence that he refers to, it doesn't say "it is the Duty of the People", but it says "it is the Right of the People". Interesting that he so strongly emphasized the word duty but he was misquoting it.

nate895
11-13-2008, 10:17 PM

Organic Law means that it is precedent, and any underlying features that weren't changed by the Constitution or amendments to it are still law.

torchbearer
11-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Interesting.. looking more closely at the part of the Declaration of Independence that he refers to, it doesn't say "it is the Duty of the People", but it says "it is the Right of the People". Interesting that he so strongly emphasized the word duty but he was misquoting it.

meaning the law doesn't demand that we abolish the government, but have the right to do so.
If the law demanded it, it wouldn't be a right.

Knightskye
11-13-2008, 10:33 PM
i love that man.

qft. ;)

Flirple
11-17-2008, 08:52 AM

You are looking at the wrong part of the declaration. Further down you'll find the quote that the Judge was referring to:
"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

http://www.ushistory.org/Declaration/document/index.htm