PDA

View Full Version : FT trying to echo RP? "Thompson proposes a new gay marriage amendment" -- Salon.com

LizF
09-08-2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2007/09/07/thompson3/index.html

Richie
09-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Thompson has been echoing Paul for some time now. Go to his website and watch his fake video on federalism. I'd link it, but I don't want to give him the honor of an extra hit.

BuddyRey
09-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I thought RP was opposed to a Constitutional amendment.

LizF
09-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I thought RP was opposed to a Constitutional amendment.

I believe you're correct about that, and that's also my understanding of RP's position. What made me think FT was trying to parrot RP was the following passage from the article where FT is asked about gay issues which (reminded me of the question RP got in a previous debate about "Don't ask, Don't tell", and the way RP answered it):

"Thompson answered the deviancy question with a considerable lack of specificity. "Well, society's position and the government position, and what the government ought to do to exercise the power of the federal government, is not necessarily the same thing," he said. Then he said that the government should treat everyone the same way, and that "we should not set aside categories to give special set-aside treatments" to specific groups. This is the language, more or less, of the religious right, which argues that laws that protect gays and lesbians from discrimination amount to unjustified special legal privileges."

Of course, FT seems to contradict himself later on...

I apologize if part of the title I chose for this thread came across as misleading or misrepresenting RP's position in any way.

BuddyRey
09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I apologize if part of the title I chose for this thread came across as misleading or misrepresenting RP's position in any way.

Not at all! It's my fault for not reading thoroughly enough.

It definitely wouldn't be the first time Fred tried to steal RP's thunder.