PDA

View Full Version : This fight for the Republic and protection of the Constitution..

awake
11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Depends on a moral people... do you think there will be enough ?

Feenix566
11-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Everybody believes in liberty.

Well, everybody believes in their own liberty. Not too many people believe in other people's liberty....:rolleyes:

TastyWheat
11-13-2008, 02:35 AM
I don't think morality is a prerequisite. It just depends how many people are willing to take responsibility for themselves.

raiha
11-13-2008, 02:54 AM
It just depends how many people are willing to take responsibility for themselves

Which is a moral act.

literatim
11-13-2008, 04:12 AM
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” -- John Adams

BagOfEyebrows
11-13-2008, 06:22 AM
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” -- John Adams

I wish he'd worded that better... to moral and/or religious.

Because one can be very moral and not be religious, so to speak.

All John Adams was trying to do was to create a government based upon, at the very least, a sacred pledge to this foundation of morality:

don't lie, cheat or steal - don't kill each other/no agression - keep promises made.

That's the ten commandments, condensed.

But, morality has been somewhat manipulated to include all other kinds of things (sex, drugs and rock and roll...)

but, when you hold up sex, drugs and rock and roll to the supreme law of the universe (re: don't lie, cheat or steal), you find out that...

you can be gay and not lie, cheat or steal or kill ... and can keep promises made.

you can do drugs and not lie, cheat or steal or kill... and can keep promises made.

you can like any kind of music you like and not lie, cheat, steal, kill or break promises...

The social stuff was never meant to be dictated by government, but communities could elect to not allow certain things, not on a national level, but on a community level - social issues were never supposed to be federal or national/one-size-fits-all. They weren't even supposed to be by state, although odds are they would naturally gravitate that way, without it being tied, neccesarily, to government or laws.

Communities were supposed to be developed so that the social issues weren't in conflict with one's creator - so that freedom of religion could exist peacefully - because you'd know that no matter what community you went to visit, or what state in the union, the base of all communities was one of not lying, cheating, stealing or killing each other - so it was 'moral' nationwide, in that sense.

I think there's enough moral people to protect the ideas of liberty and freedom - the biggest hurdle, though, is going to be in understanding that one can be moral without being religous, and, ironically enough, that in order to maintain this Republic and protect the constitutions, both state and federal, atheists and agnostics are going to have to stop pushing for the seperation of church and state, as most political 'leaders' only understand morality (don't lie, cheat, steal or kill) in religious terms. So when we push to seperate natural law/religious-base from our governments, it actually leads to the destruction of liberty and peace - which can't exist without the basic outline of common sense found in the ten commandments.

You don't have to believe in God to respect, honor and abide by the basic logic and ideas within the ten commandments.

The unity of atheists, agnostics and religious folks to the universal law and/or God is something that has to happen - the principles themselves, not any of the personal conclusions or judgements against this or that ... just the principles of morality, which are incredibly concise and easy to grasp.

Real_CaGeD
11-13-2008, 07:24 AM
My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From every mountainside
Let freedom ring!

My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture thrills,
Like that above.

Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees
Sweet freedom's song;
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.

Our father's God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King.

5 (added to celebrate Washington's Centennial)[2]
Our joyful hearts today,
Their grateful tribute pay,
Happy and free,
After our toils and fears,
After our blood and tears,
Strong with our hundred years,
O God, to Thee.

Additional Verses by Henry Van Dyke (see CPDL version link below)

We love thine inland seas,
Thy groves and giant trees,
Thy rolling plains;
Thy rivers' mighty sweep,
Thy mystic canyons deep,
Thy mountains wild and steep,--
All thy domains.

Thy silver Eastern strands,
Thy Golden Gate that stands
Fronting the West;
Thy flowery Southland fair,
Thy North's sweet, crystal air: