PDA

View Full Version : Bush: 'I regret saying some things I shouldn't have said'

gilliganscorner
11-12-2008, 06:43 AM
From CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/11/bush.post.presidency/index.html)

As his presidency nears its end, a reflective President Bush suggested Tuesday that he regrets some of his more blunt statements on the war on terrorism over the last eight years and said he wishes he had not spoken in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner only a month after U.S. troops in Iraq were deployed.
President Bush says his wife told him that as president, he should watch his words carefully.

President Bush says his wife told him that as president, he should watch his words carefully.

"I regret saying some things I shouldn't have said," Bush told CNN's Heidi Collins when asked to reflect on his regrets over his two terms as president. "Like 'dead or alive' and 'bring 'em on.' My wife reminded me that, hey, as president of the United States, be careful what you say."

The interview, aboard the USS Intrepid in New York, came after the president addressed a Veterans Day ceremony.

Shortly after the attacks of September 11, the president said of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden: "I want justice. There's an old poster out West that said, 'Wanted, dead or alive.' "

Nice to see the media is typically soporific. If they were REAL reporters, they would have asked:

"Didn't you regret lying to the American people about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction or Iraq's ties to al-Qaida, thus sending thousands of American sons and daughters to their death for a false-flag war?"

Just my debased two cents.

HOLLYWOOD
11-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Do we expect anything less from Dubya?

The Resume of George W Bush
(the early years)
A subsection of the George Bush Resume

EDUCATION:

I entered Yale in 1964 with a SAT of 1206 (Verbal 566, Math 640), 200 points below Yale's average freshman in 1970.

I graduated Yale in 1968 with a 2.35 GPA <=== I'd say Dubya was given 50 basis points!

In the fall of 1970 I was rejected from admission at University of Texas Law School.

In 1973 I applied to Harvard Business School with a 2.35 GPA. 1973 admission statistics are unavailable, but for an incomplete comparison today's Harvard students average a GPA of 3.5 - no students were accepted with a GPA lower than 2.6.

I graduated Harvard Business School with an MBA and below-average grades.

CRIMINAL RECORD:

Two negligent collisions in July and August 1962 in Houston, TX (p20)

Arrested and charged with disorderly conduct in New Haven, CT in December 1966 (p20) for stealing a christmas tree while drunk

Convicted of drunk driving on September 4, 1976 in Kennebunkport, Maine.

MILITARY EXPERIENCE:

As a strong supporter of the Vietnam War I did everything in my power to avoid military service, both foreign and domestic:

In February 1968 I applied to the Texas Air National Guard after scoring the bare minimum of 25th Percentile (p25) for the Officer's Pilot Aptitude Test. With low scores, no other qualifications listed, and a long list of applicants ahead of me nobody is sure how I got into the guard. Ben Barnes offers one explanation, swearing under oath that he called Brig Gen. Jim Rose at the request of my father's friend Sidney Adger, allowing me a privilege I did not otherwise deserve.

I left the 111th "Champagne Unit" on May 24 1972, requesting a transfer to the Alabama 9921st Air Reserve, a postal unit with no airplanes and no pilots. I did not appear for any service in the 9921st.

On July 21, 1972, my transfer request to the 9921st was rejected and I was commanded to return back to the 111st in Maxwell, TX. I remained away and did not return to Texas. I refused to submit to a physical exam in August, four months after the Air Force made drug tests mandatory for pilots on April 21, 1972. I was suspended and grounded as a disciplinary measure, ensuring I would never fly again.

On September 5, 1972, I once again requested a transfer to Alabama, and once again I failed to appear (this time at the 187th). Neither my commanding officer nor Mavanee Bear, my girlfriend at the time claims to have ever seen me in uniform, though I did get a free dental checkup.

I never met the requirements for honorable discharge, earning only 38 documented points out of a required 50 in 1973-74. I also completed only 36 of 43 required inactive-duty training periods in 1972-73, and 12 of 43 required in 1973-74. Fortunately I "worked something out" and was issued an honorable discharge I did not earn.

My participation in the National Guard was so low that even by the end of the Vietnam Conflict I had flown only 336 hours, not meeting the minimum standards (500 hours flight experience) for combat duty. Even if I had been called to active duty I would have been unqualified to serve by military regulations.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

I founded Arbusto Energy in 1979 with money borrowed from family friends including James R Bath, representing Salem Bin Laden. Over the next five years I accepted at least $4.7 million dollars from my father's friends including George Ohrstrom and Russell Reynolds, Jr., returning $1.5 million to investors and taking on $3 million in debt. My company was rescued by a buyout from Spectrum 7 by my successful Yale classmates Mercer Reynolds and William DeWitt Jr. in 1984.

After the failure of Arbusto I was awarded a position as Chairman and CEO of Spectrum 7. My participation resulted in more failure as the company was driven to the brink of bankruptcy. I was rescued by a buyout from my father's friends Phil Kendrick and Stuart Watson at Harken Oil and Gas in 1985.

Impressed not by my abilities but by my connections to important people I was rewarded for my failure at Spectrum 7 with a seat on the Board of Directors at Harken Oil and Gas. Harken was a miserable failure during the time I spent there - it posted $23.2 billion in losses. I was investigated by the SEC for selling my shares one week before the loss announcement, and the resulting investigation explicitly did not exonerate me.

I was the owner of the Texas Rangers, made possible only by my father's friends William DeWitt and Richard E. Rainwater. My participation resulted in incredible success for myself and terrible misfortune for my neighbors. I used eminent domain to take taxpayers' land, paid for it with $4.9 million taxpayer dollars, and then spent $191 million more taxpayer dollars to build myself a stadium. I left the city of Arlington, TX with a $7.5 million debt that I still refuse to pay, even after I sold the Rangers to Thomas Hicks for $250 million (a 2500% profit).

http://monkeydyne.com/bushresume/resume.html (http://monkeydyne.com/bushresume/resume.html)

more here:

ihsv
11-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Heh... he regrets saying some things he shouldn't have, like maybe his oath to uphold the constitution?

BuddyRey
11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier...just so long as I'm the dictator!"

"Rarely is the question asked 'is our children learning?'"

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

"I know how hard it is to put food on your family."

"You're either with us...or you're with the terrorists."

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
11-12-2008, 11:31 AM
This video is my favorite on the subject of Bush lies and those of his administration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgfzqulvhlQ