PDA

View Full Version : Sanford: "Taxpayers are being gamed!"

RSLudlum
11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Sanford is pissed, and is standing up to his fellow ex-Goldman Sach's employee, Henry Paulson.

Sanford takes aim at bailouts
Governor urges letters to Congress, says taxpayers are being 'gamed'

By Yvonne Wenger
The Post and Courier
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
source (http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/nov/11/south_carolina_reactionsanford_takes_aim61211/)

COLUMBIA — Gov. Mark Sanford urged residents Monday to make their voices heard before Congress makes any more decisions about how to deal with the ailing economy.

Sanford said that ordinary taxpayers are being hoodwinked and that he believes using more government money to push the nation out of a financial mess is a big mistake.

"The federal government, and by extension taxpayers, are being gamed. I think it's dangerous over the long run the way that taxpayers are being sapped, and this dynamic is playing out in South Carolina," Sanford wrote in a letter Friday to U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson to alert him to unintended consequences in South Carolina.

In his statements Monday, Sanford cited two specific incidents that bothered him:

-- A retirement date for the CEO of a major bank headquartered in South Carolina that was moved up two months to allow Mack Whittle to collect an $18 million package, a move that would allow the company to also apply for money from the $700 billion federal bailout. Had Whittle, the chairman, president and chief executive officer of The South Financial Group Inc., retired when initially expected, many surmised that he couldn't collect the "golden parachute" while the company sought federal aid, Sanford said.

The company, which owns Carolina First Bank, told The Associated Press in a statement Monday that Whittle had reached an agreement with the board to step down before the U.S. Treasury announced its buyout plans Sept. 2.

The board had no right to limit Whittle's long-standing agreement with the company, where he worked for 20 years and was its only chief executive officer, newly elected board Chairman John C.B. Smith said in the statement.

"Although Governor Sanford made no attempt to discuss these matters with TSFG prior to his press conference, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter with the governor," Smith said.

In September, the company announced Whittle, who founded it in 1986 with one office in Greenville, would retire by year's end. He left at the end of October.

-- Board members of several community banks are applying for bailout money, despite good credit and strong balance sheets, for competitive purposes, according to the Governor's Office.

Sanford said residents need to write or call their congressmen and senators to alert them to their viewpoints to make sure they aren't drowned out by special interests.

"I think a lot of people feel betrayed by the system," Sanford said.

Homeowners and borrowers who play by the rules could be forgotten as Washington erodes the principles of consequences for bad financial decisions by considering yet another bailout plan, Sanford said.

Leadership on Capitol Hill is floating ideas for potentially spending another $100 billion on a stimulus package centered on infrastructure improvements and job creation in addition to money that could be set aside to rescue the automotive industry.

Sanford said the government injected $2.3 trillion into the economy this year and adding another $100 billion won't solve the problem. Congress would either have to borrow more money from places such as China, raise national debt or start printing more money.

"The by-product of this sort of thing gets real scary, real fast," Sanford said. He delivered similar remarks before the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee on Oct. 29.

First District U.S. Rep. Henry Brown, who represents much of Charleston, reacted to Sanford's comments.

"During these times of economic uncertainty, many continue to point fingers, and while there is plenty of blame to be placed, we need to begin focusing on the true causes of our economic downturn and ensure that taxpayers do not fall victim in the process," Brown, a Republican, said in a statement.

The country needs to enact tax relief and viable energy solutions that are focused on easing the financial strains of working families and small businesses, Brown said.

U.S. Rep. and House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn wrote in a statement: "We have an economic crisis, a housing crisis, an energy crisis, a health care crisis, and the list goes on and on. Governor Sanford's reaction may be to stick his head in the sand and ignore the problem, but I believe that action is required. ... I fully support another economic recovery package that will create jobs."

Sanford letter and reaction

Text of Gov. Mark Sanford's letter (http://media.charleston.net/2008/pdf/sanfordpaulsonlet_111008.pdf) to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson

Text of Gov. Mark Sanford press release (http://media.charleston.net/2008/text/sanfordbailoutpr_111008.doc) on the buyouts

Statement from House Majority Whip James E. Clyburn (http://media.charleston.net/2008/text/statementClyburn.doc)in reaction to Gov. Sanford

Congressman Henry Brown's reaction (http://media.charleston.net/2008/text/brownpr_110810.doc) to the Governor's remarks

article source (http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/nov/11/south_carolina_reactionsanford_takes_aim61211/)

WRellim
11-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Good stuff.

I saw bits of his testimony before the W&M committee. Sanford has a backbone and a brain, and unlike the rest of the GOP he uses BOTH of them... and even more AMAZINGLY at the same time!

The man is solid -- even if I don't agree with him on every issue -- he's a welcome relief (like Ron Paul who I also had some issue disagreements on) -- and in my opinion, Sanford is EXACTLY the kind of HONEST and FORTHRIGHT man we need to have in office.

Let's hope he can last his run through the gauntlet unscathed and with his character intact.

For the present, I think he can be a** good man we can rally behind to keep our issues in the forefront and BLOCK the neocon regurgitated BS from the like of Newt.

**BTW, I see no reason that at this point in time we cannot rally behind BOTH this guy AND Gary Johnson -- after all four years from now is a LONG time, and we need ALL of the voices of reason we can get these days (we'll need even more in the coming months of the Obama "honeymoon" when the press fawns over his holiness' every word). If we can get so far as working on the ACTUAL primaries with MORE than one solid Liberty candidate in the running I say "Wundabar!" -- we can sort out who is the BEST man after we get rid of the RINOs and Neocons.

RSLudlum
11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
If we can get so far as working on the ACTUAL primaries with MORE than one solid Liberty candidate in the running I say "Wundabar!" -- we can sort out who is the BEST man after we get rid of the RINOs and Neocons.

Exactly, we need to stack the deck...And I'd add not just in the GOP but in all the parties. It could/will be a daunting task but we've got 3 years to work on selecting the right people to support. While, in the meantime, we sharpen our skills in local elections and the 2010 election.

And remember, it's always a blast having fun while being productive!!!! :D

slacker921
11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
hhhmmm.. if he felt so strongly about this, then why did he endorse and support McCain?

kirkblitz
11-11-2008, 08:38 PM
hhhmmm.. if he felt so strongly about this, then why did he endorse and support McCain?

your a tard he endorsed mccain AFTER he won. What else was he suppose to do?!?!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

RSLudlum
11-11-2008, 08:52 PM

He publicly "tried" defending McCain after McCain wrapped up the primaries. Maybe he had 'HOPE!" that McCain would do the conservative thing if something like the bailout came about... I believe Sanford feels utterly 'gamed' by his own party now just like many Repubs are starting to.

Austin
11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
your a tard he endorsed mccain AFTER he won. What else was he suppose to do?!?!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Is English your first language?

slacker921
11-11-2008, 10:06 PM

ehhh.. nine states held their primaries after he made this statement trying to "UNIFY" the party (http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB120553936399438277.html). He made that statement right before the Pennsylvania primary where Ron Paul got 15.85% of the vote and over a month before I had a chance to vote in the primaries.

A LOT of Republicans did not make statements like that and especially when the primaries were still going on.

Xenophage
11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Taxi payers is bein' GAMED? Oh no! Say it ain't so, Detective Sanford! Say it ain't so!

scandinaviany3
11-11-2008, 11:17 PM

some rock the boat others try to get inside and then fix it...

scandinaviany3
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
ehhh.. nine states held their primaries after he made this statement trying to "UNIFY" the party (http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB120553936399438277.html). He made that statement right before the Pennsylvania primary where Ron Paul got 15.85% of the vote and over a month before I had a chance to vote in the primaries.

A LOT of Republicans did not make statements like that and especially when the primaries were still going on.

Was the tally all but over by then???

slacker921
11-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Was the tally all but over by then???

Not in my state. They didn't count the ballots in my state until almost two months after he endorsed McCain.

He might be the best candidate we can get for 2012, but he'd better start talking and undoing what he did during the primaries. He spent a lot of time on TV saying how great McCain was and it's going to take a while for him to wash that from his hands.

TonySutton
11-13-2008, 07:21 AM
We do not need to vet our choices down to one person. This early in the game we need any and all possible candidates who voice and demonstrate the core values of the movement. We need many voices in the darkness spreading the message of liberty.

Now is not the time to exclude, it is the time to include!

angelatc
11-13-2008, 07:27 AM
There's not going to be a perfect choice. If you're going to be an ideologue you're not going to get anywhere.

I like Sanford.

I think the Ron Paul vote is going to split from here forward - half of us will go back to the GOP and half of us will go back to the LP.

RSLudlum
11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I think the Ron Paul vote is going to split from here forward - half of us will go back to the GOP and half of us will go back to the LP.

I'm pretty much partyless right now. I'm not pledging my support for any party, but I am interested in working with individuals in all parties.
;)