PDA

View Full Version : SICK SURVEILLANCE: GOOGLE REPORTS FLU SEARCHES, LOCATIONS TO FEDS -Not from the Onion

RonPaulVolunteer
11-11-2008, 05:24 PM
SICK SURVEILLANCE: GOOGLE REPORTS FLU SEARCHES, LOCATIONS TO FEDS
Tue Nov 11 2008 15:34:50 ET

GOOGLE will launch a new tool that will help federal officials "track sickness".

"Flu Trends" uses search terms that people put into the web giant to figure out where influenza is heating up, and will notify the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in real time!

GOOGLE, continuing to work closely with government, claims it would keep individual user data confidential: "GOOGLE FLU TRENDS can never be used to identify individual users because we rely on anonymized, aggregated counts of how often certain search queries occur each week."

Engineers will capture keywords and phrases related to the flu, including thermometer, flu symptoms, muscle aches, chest congestion and others.

Dr. Lyn Finelli, chief of influenza surveillance at CDC: "One thing we found last year when we validated this model is it tended to predict surveillance data. The data are really, really timely. They were able to tell us on a day-to-day basis the relative direction of flu activity for a given area. They were about a week ahead of us. They could be used... as early warning signal for flu activity."

Thomas Malone, professor at M.I.T.: "I think we are just scratching the surface of what's possible with collective intelligence."

Eric Schmidt, GOOGLE's chief executive vows: "From a technological perspective, it is the beginning."

Developing...

pacelli
11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I saw that. Yeah, developing my ass. Welcome to phase 1 of the domestic internet stasi.

Texan4Life
11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
fuck... google is my fav.

Dianne
11-11-2008, 08:54 PM
We should cram the system by each of us searching flu about 20 times a day, lol... Then after about 500 billion of wasted taxpayer revenue, they will figure out their plan was a failure.

Thunderbolt
11-11-2008, 08:58 PM
We should cram the system by each of us searching flu about 20 times a day, lol... Then after about 500 billion of wasted taxpayer revenue, they will figure out their plan was a failure.

Lets bump that up to a few thousand. After all, how hard is it to hit search? Can I call them sick f*cks now? It's appropriate don't you think?

New York For Paul
11-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Considering google cooperates with repressive regimes around the world and censors data, this new power is not good.

Google also drives around taking pictures of houses. Pretty soon they may track all searches of "libertarian" and have an idea of exactly what IP address searches for what terms and will match that up with people.

Who knows maybe google search terms will be introduced as evidence into a court of law.

If you google anthrax, TSA or Ron Paul there maybe watch lists that people and their IP addresses are put on.

http://www.vortex.com/privacy

Here is a private search engine.

http://www.cuil.com/

OferNave
11-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Can someone post the link to the original article instead of just copying the text?

John of Des Moines
11-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Google is the flu.

literatim
11-12-2008, 06:28 AM
http://www.scroogle.org