PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for Super Democracy

Xenophage
11-11-2008, 11:46 AM
"I note one proposal to make this Congress a two-house body. Excellent — the more impediments to legislation the better ... one house legislators, another whose single duty is to repeal laws. Let legislators pass laws only with a two-thirds majority ... while the repealers are able to cancel any law through a mere one-third minority." - From The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein

I want to see this form of government!

Agent CSL
11-11-2008, 11:48 AM
It'll be as corrupt as the rest.

Xenophage
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
It'll be as corrupt as the rest.

As corrupt as what? As corrupt as a theocratic dictatorship? As corrupt as a senatorial republic whose only purpose is to pass new laws?

Imagine electing one house of representatives who campaign only to repeal laws, not to pass them. Once they are elected, you only need to get 1/3 of them to agree on a particular repeal for said repeal to pass.

On the other hand, the representatives who are elected to pass new laws require a super majority to get anything done. Once they do get something passed, its under constant threat of repeal.

Truth Warrior
11-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Demobcrazy only works until the MAJORITY discovers and learns that it too can feed at the public trough.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." -- Winston Churchill

AJ Antimony
11-11-2008, 12:17 PM
You can tinker with the government as much as you like, but at the end of the day you have to let democracy be democracy, and if the people still choose tyranny then there's nothing really to do.

Truth Warrior
11-11-2008, 01:05 PM
You can tinker with the government as much as you like, but at the end of the day you have to let democracy be democracy, and if the people still choose tyranny then there's nothing really to do. When the 80 millionish senior Boomer voters, vote you into your 3rd full time job to support them, I hope that you remember what you wrote. ;)

Expatriate
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
You can tinker with the government as much as you like, but at the end of the day you have to let democracy be democracy, and if the people still choose tyranny then there's nothing really to do.

hmm... how about a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC where certain things, like "giving" from the public treasury, are out of reach of the government?

This is basically what I mean. It's what America was supposed to be. (http://www.juntosociety.com/patriotism/inytg.html)

Knightskye
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I'd rather see proportional representation.

fahayek
11-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd rather see proportional representation.

I'd rather see our government obey the constitution.