didn't he go to war over trade routes?

acptulsa
11-11-2008, 09:41 AM
"We're not in a recession."--John S. McCain, 2008

EndTheFed
11-11-2008, 09:41 AM
You know the Jefferson 'trade' quote

didn't he go to war over trade routes?

Not familiar with that. If you find it, add it to the list.

Xenophage
11-11-2008, 10:08 AM
As much as I love Ron Paul, Heinlein is still my favorite crazy old white guy. Here are some quotes by Heinlein from his book Time Enough for Love:

- "Political tags—such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth—are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort." - Heinlein.

- "An elephant: A mouse built to government specifications."

- “But a reform politician has no such lodestone. His devotion is to the welfare of all the people—an abstraction of very high order and therefore capable of endless definitions. If indeed it can be defined in meaningful terms. In consequence your utterly sincere and incorruptible reform politician is capable of breaking his word three times before breakfast—not from personal dishonesty, as he sincerely regrets the necessity and will tell you so—but from unswerving devotion to his ideal.

All it takes to get him to break his word is for someone to get his ear and convince him that it is necessary for the greater good of all the peepul. He’ll geek.

After he gets hardened to this, he’s capable of cheating at solitaire. Fortunately he rarely stays in office long—except during the decay and fall of a culture.”

- "Does history record any case in which the majority was right?"

- "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors—and miss."

Lots of other great quotes... but those are some directly relating to freedom. I'll see if I can find some from my favorite libertarian novel, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.