PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veteran's Day

tajitj
11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Wanted to send a message of appreciation to the people who serve. They do not set our foreign policy our elected leaders do.

From this conservative Veteran bloggers site.
http://urbangrounds.com/

From the Saint Crispin’s Day speech from Shakespeare’s Henry V:

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day."

To all who served before me, to those with whom I served, and to those who serve today — thank you. Of all of my life’s accomplishments and achievements, I am most proud of having been a Soldier.

Heinlein wrote: “The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body between his loved home and the war’s desolation.”

Remember:

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

You can digg this message too! The Obamanation not dare bury this.
http://digg.com/odd_stuff/Happy_Veteran_s_Day_2#

tajitj
11-11-2008, 09:20 AM
I am a veteran and never regret joining. I wanted to go see the war in Iraq for myself and not just on TV. It gave me a real prospective. I still hold my belief that men are dieing for the wrong reasons, that the Iraqi people are caught in the middle of wanting us out and wanting a governement that protect their rights. I faced 1,000's of "terrorists" that are supposed to be so menacing we need to give up our liberties here.

The war on terror is like the war on drugs. Everyone knows someone who does them, most could go get some drugs if wanted. Most Iraqis know a neighbor or family member who is supporting the insurgency but will not go running to coalition forces to tell them. But over there that makes them just as guilty as if they were the ones setting up the IED's.

acptulsa
11-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Happy Veterans' Day to you, too--and thank you for your service. Since this day is chosen because of WWI, and in homage to my grandfathers, I posted this rememberance:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=168363

Hope people enjoy it.

psalm82x3
11-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Remember:

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

I am an 8 year Army vet and still a military reservist. I have military up and down both sides of my family. This poem is bass ackwards. It has always made my skin crawl. Beware of war propaganda. True patriotism is more about dissent than otherwise. The universal soldier is a great excuse for fascism. This is no time for jibes at reporters, considering that they are barred from taking pictures of flag draped coffins.

Every veterans day, I consider the fallen, the wounded, war's victims, and how important it is to get philosophy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_War May God bless us all and all our vets and service members.

acptulsa
11-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I am an 8 year Army vet and still a military reservist. I have military up and down both sides of my family. This poem is bass ackwards. It has always made my skin crawl. Beware of war propaganda. True patriotism is more about dissent than otherwise. The universal soldier is a great excuse for fascism. This is no time for jibes at reporters, considering that they are barred from taking pictures of flag draped coffins.

Every veterans day, I consider the fallen, the wounded, war's victims, and how important it is to get philosophy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_War May God bless us all and all our vets and service members.

Great points and a great post. And thank you, too, for your service.

It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round. All kinds. And that is the strongest argument against 'one size fits all' laws that you can make. It is the core of libertarianism--this knowledge and the tolerance to realize that we all (or, at least, most of us) do make valuable contributions. And my hope is that we can, in the end, help prevent the tragedy of lives lost and trauma induced for causes that are not just. If ever there were a lesson we need to learn...

gilliganscorner
11-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I posted this in the comments section of a Canadian Newspaper:

This Remembrance Day, I am giving thought to all of the soldiers that volunteered or drafted (kidnapped), put in harms way by the State and paid the ultimate sacrifice in order to benefit the war racket and its various connected insider profiteers such as Haliburton and the Carlisle Group.

These brave men and women were - as were we - duped into thinking they were defending freedom, liberty and the way of life for their fellow citizens by their own greedy immoral government/media/banking/military industrial complex cartels, who relentlessly exploited their patriotism for their own ends.

I think of Congressman Ron Paul's campaign for leader of the Republican Party in the United States, shut down by the Establishment, who advocated the message of freedom, prosperity, and peace and trade with all nations, but entangling alliances with none. He wanted the profit-based wars shut down and supported the troops by wanting them home, defending the Unites States borders. I think that message must have resonated strongly with the men and women serving in the military, as he received the largest donations from military personnel than all the other candidates COMBINED, prior to Ron Paul ending his campaign.

These soldiers were honestly thinking they were doing the right thing, other than the 50,000 troops still in Germany, enjoying year round Octoberfest at the taxpayers expense, as they - like us - have had our democracy infiltrated by the ruse of voting which gives the people the illusion of choice and keeps us enslaved to the State, believing we are free.

If our soldiers knew this, they wouldn't go to war to defend profits. If we knew this, we wouldn't support the idea of the troops going to war.

And when the soldiers return we need look no further than the deplorable state of VA hospitals like Walter Reed in regards to how the State "values" our veterans.

Somebody has to say it. I too, will be silent at 11.

I think of mothers like Cindy Sheehan, who lost her son Casey in Iraq, who relentlessly pursued an interview with Bush to ask her why her son had to die in the Iraq war when he KNEW that the Weapons of Mass destruction and ties to al-Qaida were fabrications.

If I were the father of one of those children, nothing short of my violent death would stop me from kneeling on Donald Rumsfeld's chest, ripping out one rib at a time, screaming at him why that arrogant psychopath killed my son. Recall in the 1980's Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand and helping facilitate the delivery of weapons and computers to shore up his control.

I think of the up to 100,000 Iraqi civilian citizens killed in this war, demonized by our so-called free press to galvanize support for the war, that died at the hands of their State and ours.

Recall the State's intervention in pre-Hitler Germany, endorsing the Versailles treaty that put Germans in a great deal of hardship, thus ensuring they would be ready to accept a message like Hitler's. The bankers and war profiteers were only to happy to add charge to that atmosphere. We are not allowed to learn that in our history books, are we? History is written by the winners.

I think the test of whether or not if a war is worthy is to ensure that when the government starts war, all of-age children of those politicians should be drafted to serve on the front line. That will test the mettle.

I (and we) are NOT the playthings of government.

I hope that soldiers do not see me as being disrespectful of them. It is the State I despise that puts them in harms way to fight unjust wars so they and their cronies can benefit. It is the highest price of concentrated benefits and distributed losses. Not in monetary terms, but in life.

Surprisingly to me, I actually feel close to tears when I post this.

georgiaboy
11-11-2008, 10:33 AM
My grandfather was a WWII highly decorated (SS w/OLC, BS w/OLC) Army infantryman, Omaha Beach. He was haunted by his experiences for the rest of his 70+ years, and counted his fellow veterans as closer than brothers.
My father was a Vietnam draftee who never saw action.
I have never served.

I humbly salute all veterans and give them my deepest respect and honor. They put their very lives on the line from a sense of duty, obligation, patriotism, and in support of something they hold to be bigger than themselves.

Sincerest gratitude on this Veterans' Day.

salinaspaul
11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Six year veteran in the US Army, obtaining my tobasco bottle of Saudi sand during Desert Storm. I have relatives and in-laws who are currently serving or have served in the army, army national guard, navy, air force, and marines. I am not proud to have served, but rather humbled (pride gets people into too much trouble anyways). Thanks to all who thank me.

Let's remember that although today is Veteran's Day, let us also never forget that this day started as as Armistice Day. And the word "armistice" means "truce"...

Peace out - literally.

SnappleLlama
11-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks, Veterans! :)

tajitj
11-11-2008, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=psalm82x3;1819919]I am an 8 year Army vet and still a military reservist. I have military up and down both sides of my family. This poem is bass ackwards. It has always made my skin crawl. Beware of war propaganda. True patriotism is more about dissent than otherwise. The universal soldier is a great excuse for fascism. This is no time for jibes at reporters, considering that they are barred from taking pictures of flag draped coffins.

I totally agree. It really is the wrong way of looking at it. That may have been true during WWII or the cold war when the enemy was capable of taking those rights. Nowdays the only ones able and actually taking those away is our own govt.

Theocrat
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Happy Veterans Day!

I served in the U.S. Air Force (just like Congressman Paul :p), and it was a great experience, looking back on it now. If I had never joined to serve my country, I would not have had the passion about politics that I do now, and God would not have made me into the man that I am now.

I gave blood for my country, and now it seems they want my wallet, too.

Leadman584
11-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Happy 233d Birthday Marines.

In a small tavern in Philadelphia on November 10th 1775, the United States Marine Corps was born. I only served 7 years, but I don't regret the experience. Semper Fi!

Happy Veteran's Day to all who served this nation.

HOLLYWOOD
11-11-2008, 01:39 PM
My very Best to all the Veterans...

Please Support your local VFWs too! They help your local community in so many different ways and it is all volunteer. From Parades, to honor guards, to funerals... your Veterans serve your local communities in manors you would of never thought. So buy those Poppies, and thank a verteran some which, worked at minimum wages, long hours, bad stations, and putting up with some lousy food! ;)

http://www.vfw.org/resources/levela/mast_03.jpg

libertarian4321
11-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Remember:

You can digg this message too! The Obamanation not dare bury this.
http://digg.com/odd_stuff/Happy_Veteran_s_Day_2#

I'm going to add my name to the list of people who disagree with this. Every nation has soldiers, but few nations have freedoms. Soldiers are merely tools to enforce and/or protect the existing form of government, whether that be Democracy or dictatorship.

Those who created our system of government (civilians) were far more important than soldiers. Soldiers fought the Revolutionary war, but without the founding fathers and their wisdom, they could have just been fighting for a monarchy separate from that in England.

Also, DISSENT IS IMPORTANT to keeping freedom- in many ways, that campus radical or marching protester, who is willing to question the government, is more important than the soldier who blindly clicks his heels, salutes, and does the bidding of the "leader."

- From a 27-year Army veteran, both active and reserve.

The_Orlonater
11-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Happy Armistice Day.

nodope0695
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks from a Navy dude!

Kotin
11-11-2008, 02:27 PM
ugh.. I only wish that I could serve my country under a commander-in-chief who was a man of honor and a man worth serving under, who would not get us into needless wars.

thanks veterans..