PDA

View Full Version : Here They Come! - American Express to Become Bank Holding Company

Lucille
11-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I knew they'd be next.

American Express to Become Bank Holding Company
November 10, 2008, 7:05 pm (http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/american-express-to-become-bank-holding-company/):

The Federal Reserve on Monday evening granted a request by American Express to become a bank holding company, giving it access to low-cost financing from the Fed.

The Fed said it had approved the application for American Express and a related company, American Express Travel Related Services, to become bank holding companies. The approval represented the latest reshaping of the financial services industry, which is undergoing its worst credit crisis in decades.

In announcing the action, the Fed said “emergency conditions exist that justify expeditious action on this proposal.”

“Given the continued volatility in the financial markets,” said Kenneth I. Chenault, chief executive of American Express, “we want to be best-positioned to take advantage of the various programs the federal government has introduced or may introduce to support U.S. financial institutions.”

WRellim
11-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I knew they'd be next.

American Express to Become Bank Holding Company
November 10, 2008, 7:05 pm (http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/american-express-to-become-bank-holding-company/):

Never mind the crap that everyone ELSE has to go through if they want to start a bank...

These days all you have to do is have an "in" with the king's favorite apparatchik... and "ding" you not only instantly become a bank (even though you have no depositors) but you also instantly have access to Billions of free giveaways.

Sickening.

I suppose GM, Ford, & Chrysler are next... after all, they "finance" cars and stuff... so that's kind of like banking too, isn't it?

HEY... now that I think about it MY business writes AND accepts checks... so I should be able to make it into a Bank Holding company too, right? Hey Paulson! Where's MY Billion dollar freebies!

puppetmaster
11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
They smell the gravy train!!

There will be lots more until we are toast....
make your plans folks soon..

Crowish
11-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Ford makes most of their $$ from their Ford Credit group. GM no longer controls their credit group, which is why they are so fcked. (Chrysler controls it.)

RSLudlum
11-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I was just warning my dad and brother earlier today that the CC companies were next because people are defaulting and the companies are having a hard time finding buyers for their bonds.

puppetmaster
11-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Ford makes most of their $$ from their Ford Credit group. GM no longer controls their credit group, which is why they are so fcked. (Chrysler controls it.)

that's why they wanted to merge

ghengis86
11-10-2008, 10:06 PM

can you link some info or expand on this topic? thanks!
and where the fuck is my bunchie?
:bunchies::

HOLLYWOOD
11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
They smell the gravy train!!

There will be lots more until we are toast....
make your plans folks soon..

FLEECE the TAXPAYERS...

SCREW THE POOR & HOMELESS...

MANIPULATE THE MIDDLE CLASS...

OFFER THEM CHANGE!

American Suckers...

ghengis86
11-10-2008, 10:30 PM
and what should i do about my AmEx card? tell them to eat it?

HOLLYWOOD
11-10-2008, 10:56 PM
and what should i do about my AmEx card? tell them to eat it?

Keep canin on your cards!

AMex needs the Government BAILOUT money for their Commercials, Bowl Games, off-site retreats, big bonuses.

This is absolute THEFT... FELONY Larceny, Grand Theft, Conspiracy, Fraud, STEALING of the People!

NO ONE should EVER pay another penny in tax!

Totally UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

james1906
11-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Keep canin on your cards!

AMex needs the Government BAILOUT money for their Commercials, Bowl Games, off-site retreats, big bonuses.

This is absolute THEFT... FELONY Larceny, Grand Theft, Conspiracy, Fraud, STEALING of the People!

NO ONE should EVER pay another penny in tax!

Totally UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

Seinfeld don't come cheap.