PDA

View Full Version : one good thing about obama

MRoCkEd
11-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I was watching a segment on CNN about guantanamo bay. apparently obama wants to shut it down and give detainees fair trials.

ronpaulfollower999
11-10-2008, 06:04 PM
That is what I hear his first executive order will be.

vodalian
11-10-2008, 06:30 PM
That would be nice, let's just hope he doesn't have ulterior motives considering he believes that the government should have the right to execute anyone who is labeled a terrorist.

Highland
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
second good thing....but for Obama.....he can practice his bowling skills at the White House Bowling Alley! lol

Bruno
11-10-2008, 06:32 PM
second good thing....but for Obama.....he can practice his bowling skills at the White House Bowling Alley! lol

This is more likely to happen in his first 12 months.

Zera
11-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Just as Paul said, it's best to at least be hopeful about things until we see anything happen. For example, I'm being hopeful that the surge in soldiers that will be in Afghanistan and Pakistan may actually quicken up his agenda there and get them out of there. I say this, since at least with his way, he'll be actually doing something new instead of McCain's choice of just staying in Iraq for another 100 years for no reason.

BagOfEyebrows
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I was watching a segment on CNN about guantanamo bay. apparently obama wants to shut it down and give detainees fair trials.

that's pretty nice of him, considering he voted for warrantless spying on USA citizens with his FISA vote -

and voted for the bailout - extremely unconstitutional.

But those votes were 'for' the USA people. And the detainees are 'suspected terrorists.'

Maybe he figures he'll give all kinds of rights back to certain groups and just take them away from others - kinda like a redistribution of wealth, but with unalienable/inalienable rights.

Not that I'm against him shutting down Guantanamo Bay and giving those detainees a fair trial - he should do that. I just wish he'd do that with every other unconstitutional thing going on - like ending the occupations, or abolishing the Federal Reserve, or dismantling the Federal Department of Education that has led to 1 out of every 3 students nationwide dropping out of school before graduating (and the more money they put into it, the higher the stats go - )

Some states are now just outlawing dropping out to 'deal' with the issue. (or raising the age one can drop out to 18... those clever politicians, haha...)

It's amazing how goofy the system has become.

Agent CSL
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
I read that he would like to replace Gitmo with a "National Security Court" and subsequent prison(s). Does anyone have anymore insight into that? It sounds like problem-reaction-solution to me. But I'm hopeful these torture camps and Gitmo camps will be shut down for good.

BagOfEyebrows
11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Just as Paul said, it's best to at least be hopeful about things until we see anything happen. For example, I'm being hopeful that the surge in soldiers that will be in Afghanistan and Pakistan may actually quicken up his agenda there and get them out of there. I say this, since at least with his way, he'll be actually doing something new instead of McCain's choice of just staying in Iraq for another 100 years for no reason.

Obama stated on his Iraq policy portion of his website that he plans to leave tens of thousands of transitional troops (and US dollars) in Iraq for years to come, and 'privately hired' (on US tax dollars) assistance would be utilized - not really much different than McCain's platform, really. Just different words that mean the same thing - and Obama's platform on foreign policy over all, if you kept up with the weekly to monthly changes on it (as just recently happened with his civil service agenda), Obama's plans for occupations and war are actually far more extensive than McCain's were - which sounds odd, but isn't really - a Democrat can 'get away' with war mongering a lot easier than a Republican can (Clinton had us bombing the middle east for years during his administration, but a lot of Democrats don't even know why he had us over there... and some don't even recall it until you mention it to them.)

Obama's administration is going to kick up the war and occupation agenda into high, very high, gear - because they can now. With the consent of 'the people.'

It's not going to be good, but it will be interesting to witness the response of the people to it - and that's all we are. Witnesses to autrocities beyond our control at this point. We tried to warn them. They wouldn't listen. Now we just do our best to protect ourselves and hope those who got fooled figure it out and don't make the same mistakes in 2 more years... they just voted in the same congress that had a lower approval rating than Bush, though... I'm not so sure anymore that even two years of education and fact tossing attempts will help them, but we've at least gotta try.

We've got to keep on trying until the very end - or until the new beginning.

pdavis
11-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Wake me up when he shuts down the CIA's secret prison camps around the world and gives those detainees fair trials.

tod evans
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
fair trial?.............wtf?...........in our legal system?............wake-up!

SnappleLlama
11-10-2008, 08:10 PM
I, too, am optimistic about Obama's intention to give the detainees a fair trial. I'm willing to give the man a chance.

Perhaps it's just the coffee speaking, though. ;)

A. Havnes
11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Obama will most certainly do a few good things, if only to boost his credibility. Just like George Bush did a few good things, too. A few decent actions are not enough to warrant a competent leadership.

Zera
11-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Obama will most certainly do a few good things, if only to boost his credibility. Just like George Bush did a few good things, too. A few decent actions are not enough to warrant a competent leadership.

I still think the man should be given a chance. I know we all love to hate on the man around here, but he isn't even officially the man yet!

heavenlyboy34
11-10-2008, 09:02 PM
I still think the man should be given a chance. I know we all love to hate on the man around here, but he isn't even officially the man yet!

He's the president elect, so he technically is "the man", but the official "transition" occurs in January.

klamath
11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I would give him a +1 if he does that. Just like I gave Bush a +1 for his no federal funds for stem cell research.

Kotin
11-10-2008, 09:27 PM

um yes he is.. are you kidding?!

hes been a State and US Senator and all his votes add up to a Statist douchebag of George Bush proportions.

we can be optimistic that something good may come, because just as Satan himself can be used by God to do good.. so can obama.

but dont hold your breath.. and make no mistake about it. he is THE man.

"I do not believe people should be able to own a gun"

- Barack Obama

Zera
11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, but President-elects have no power, so I don't consider him to be the man quite yet.