PDA

View Full Version : You Can Help the Revolution Without Becoming a Politican!

BuddyRey
11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Be a citizen journalist! Or an author! Or a playwright, a poet, a comic, a pastor, a cartoonist, an attorney, a songwriter, etc. We need libertarian periodicals, newspapers, satirists, social critics, entertainers, and legal counselors just as much as we need people to represent us in Washington!

Not everybody is cut out for, or even WANTS to be in politics. Fortunately, there are so many ways one can help the liberty movement without having to run for public office that literally anybody of any temperment, nature, or aptitude can make invaluable contributions to the development of a free society. Think BIG, and realize that victory in Washington is only one piece of the puzzle! We also have to win hearts and minds, and (with the exception of Ron Paul) politicians are generally inept at this.

Many of you know this, but it bears repeating; The Founding Fathers, in the beginning, were UNABLE to convince the American people that Revolution against the British Empire was a necessary and desirable step toward independence. It took a pamphleteer, a man-of-letters named Thomas Paine to inflame the passions and incite the wrath of the American people against tyranny! Thomas Paine's brief manifesto "Common Sense" sold over 500,000 copies, an unheard-of amount for nearly any book back then, especially a political treatise. Without Thomas Paine, a Continental Congress full of the most staunch proponents of liberty would not have been enough to spark the American Revolution. Even John Adams admitted that "Without the pen of Paine, the sword of Washington would have been wielded in vain."

Paine is not the only NON-politician to make an indelible mark on the American consciousness in the name of individualism and common sense. History is rife with examples, from highly regarded social critics like Mark Twain and H.L. Mencken, to "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker! The question you must ask yourself is not necessarily "How can I become a politician for the Revolution?" but "How can I best use my skills, whatever they may be, to promote liberty in my own way, and through my own unique talents and interests?" The bottom-up success of Dr. Paul's campaign alone should teach us that, just as each individual has something dynamic and unique to bring to the table, it takes every single one of these unique individuals to further our goals.

Maximilian American
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon14.gif

The Revolution Within

georgiaboy
11-10-2008, 02:43 PM
yes. bump.

yongrel
11-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Q: Libertarians advocate the politics you advocate. So why are you opposed to the Libertarian Party? [FHF: “Egalitarianism and Inflation,” 1974]

Ayn Rand:They are not defenders of capitalism. They’re a group of publicity seekers who rush into politics prematurely, because they allegedly want to educate people through a political campaign, which can’t be done.

torchbearer
11-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Ayn Rand:They are not defenders of capitalism. They’re a group of publicity seekers who rush into politics prematurely, because they allegedly want to educate people through a political campaign, which can’t be done.

I think Ron Paul proved Ayn Rand wrong... he educated a lot of people during his political campaign.
In fact, he wouldn't have been able to do it without running for president.
Most people here probably wouldn't even know who he is...

yongrel
11-10-2008, 02:52 PM
I think Ron Paul proved Ayn Rand wrong... he educated a lot of people during his political campaign.
In fact, he wouldn't have been able to do it without running for president.
Most people here probably wouldn't even know who he is...

Considering how many "supporters" switched to Obama or McCain, I dunno if he educated anyone.

We all educated each other.

torchbearer
11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Considering how many "supporters" switched to Obama or McCain, I dunno if he educated anyone.

We all educated each other.

How many supporters switched over?
How many stayed?
How many learned something new about liberty and the constitution and how many forgot?

I've been in this game for 12 years... nothing before Ron's run equals the amount of outreach and education than his did... but it took a campaign.
If he didn't run, we wouldn't be talking or sharing anything on a "ronpaulforum" or any other forum...

Driftar
11-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I always knew i leaned libertarian, but it wasn't until Ron that i found a decisive and unified way to represent my views. Now i can say "i'm a ron paul supporter", and most political junkies know where i stand! of course, other people still say "ron who!?"

BuddyRey
11-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Bump for the night-shift!

Shotdown1027
11-10-2008, 10:24 PM
We do need men and women in all professions. Peter Schiff trades stock, Thomas Woods writes, Roderick Long philosophizes, Tibor Machan is a columnist, Scott Horton hosts a radio show, etc etc.

Calpico
11-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I've been trying to make political art. But it seems I can't find the right style. I'm trying to make a combination of Pop Art and posters from the Mai 68 demonstrations.

Oh yeah, prints are the best thing to do. Easy to make en masse.

Agent CSL
11-10-2008, 11:12 PM
I am by nature an artist and a leader, but I'm also a horrible procrastinator and clinically insane. If any artist feels bold enough to take my idea, please do. I don't have the time nor money to accomplish it right now.

"Liberty Tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Tree)"
I wanted to create something large. My idea was to cut out pieces of paper, or cloth, in the shape of leaves, in the color of dead leaves (browns and dark oranges), and create a paper mache tree on 4x4s and other materials. Each leaf would have the name, date and location of a civil liberty injustice. I've collected quite a few articles from the UK's trashbin stasi to wrongful deaths. A dedicated person would be able to fill it out every quickly and it would only keep growing. Hot glue each "leaf" to the tree.

:)