PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think MSNBC's Lock Up Raw is Ethical

Change
11-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Do you think that the MSNBC show called Lock Up Raw showing prisoners being forced into cells within State Prisons is a violation of human rights?

Do you watch the show and do you think it should be on the air?

Who do you think watches the show?

0zzy
11-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Do you think that the MSNBC show called Lock Up Raw showing prisoners being forced into cells within State Prisons is a violation of human rights?

Do you watch the show and do you think it should be on the air?

Who do you think watches the show?

they, are forced into prisons?
cells?
human rights violation?

convicted of murder by their peers, most of them confess their sins, should there be no punishment for such things? being forced in cells of all things.

WRellim
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
they, are forced into prisons?
cells?
human rights violation?

convicted of murder by their peers, most of them confess their sins, should there be no punishment for such things? being forced in cells of all things.

I don't think THAT is the argument.

The argument is whether a TV channel has the right to then use them (with little more than a false "sheen" of journalism as justification) as the subject for profit-making programming without providing any compensation to them, their victims, nor even to the taxpayers (who are essentially "funding" their programming).

0zzy
11-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I don't think THAT is the argument.

The argument is whether a TV channel has the right to then use them (with little more than a false "sheen" of journalism as justification) as the subject for profit-making programming without providing any compensation to them, their victims, nor even to the taxpayers (who are essentially "funding" their programming).

If the prisoners agree it should be acceptable perhaps. I am not too sure.
Their victims, if remain nameless...

hell I dono.

Change
11-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Guilty they are and are serving out their sentences, which they should! Is it ethical to create a television show around people who are in prison? Raw Lock up doesn't show the actual event that brought the prisoner to have 4 and 5 guards in riot gear forcing the prisoner into a iron cell, they tell us what occurred. The Prision show focus is on the guards and their techniques to bring down a human being.

We also don't know if that prisoner has been given behavioral drugs and if those psychiatric drugs are triggering those behaviors. None of the prisoners mental health treatments are revealed to those watching or if those behavioral drugs treatments are experimental or FDA approved. The show will often just say the Prisoner has a "history" of psychiatric disorders or mental illness. Those who advocate and promote more psychiatric treatments for the mentally ill should clearly have some concern.

It would seem that those who were worried about the WAR prisons should consider a look at the ethics of LOCKED UP RAW. In addition, MSNBC's role in airing such a show should be really looked into! What vendors and consultants are working with MSNBC to produce such a show. I am sure it is promoted and supported by the psychiatric industry. It shows that MSNBC lacks the ability to bring creative uplifing programs and relies on promoting "Government Control"

Violent is Defined as

violent |ˈvī(ə)lənt|
adjective
using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something : a violent confrontation with riot police.
• (esp. of an emotion or unpleasant or destructive natural force) very strong or powerful : violent dislike | the violent eruption killed 1,700 people.
• (of a color) vivid.
• Law involving an unlawful exercise or exhibition of force.

pcosmar
11-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Guilty they are and are serving out their sentences, which they should! Is it ethical to create a television show around people who are in prison? Raw Lock up doesn't show the actual event that brought the prisoner to have 4 and 5 guards in riot gear forcing the prisoner into a iron cell, they tell us what occurred. The Prision show focus is on the guards and their techniques to bring down a human being.

I have not see the shows. so my comment is not on them as such, but to the comments here.

they,are forced into prisons?
cells?
human rights violation?

Though many are no doubt guilty, a great many more are not. Our system of justice stoped having any justice years ago.
A great many are Non-violent, many more are mentally handicapped. The prisons are a dumping ground for mental patients, rather than treat them they just lock them up.
There are also a large number that are flat out innocent of the charges,and were unable to fight the system effectively.

Just look at the Innocence Project.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/

I Know, I lived in a Maximum Security Prison for several years.
Not all is as it seems.

There is little Ethical about the system, and none in promoting it.

JRegs85
11-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Absolutely. The public has a right to view all government operations.

Reason
11-10-2008, 10:27 AM
one thing I found very odd about that show is one episode where they ask an inmate about contraband he has, he tells them, then the guards "overhear" what he says so they toss his cell and find contraband and bring charges against him....

wtf....

BenIsForRon
11-10-2008, 12:48 PM
I hate it for other reasons. Total glorification of the prison industrial complex, makes Americans comfortable with the police state.

devil21
11-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I love the Lockup shows. The only ones I have an issue with are the juvenile institutions, for what should be obvious reasons. Otherwise, I agree that if the inmates agree to be filmed (they do and aren't forced to participate) then it's no different than any other setting with a film production crew doing interviews.

BuddyRey
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
It is absolutely NOT ethical, and it serves very well as state indoctrination to get people accustomed to and comfortable with the notion of police using physical force and brute tactics, all the while laughing and having a great time.

ihsv
11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
It is absolutely NOT ethical, and it serves very well as state indoctrination to get people accustomed to and comfortable with the notion of police using physical force and brute tactics, all the while laughing and having a great time.

+2008

That was exactly my first thought (not word for word, though) when I read the first post on this thread.

devil21
11-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Oh please. It's prison. People already know what happens in prison and mainly the type of people already in maximum security prisons. You didn't address how it's unethical? The inmates are not forced to participate nor is tax money being spent on the show itself. I understand that the prison industry itself is a problem but I don't think that's the point of this thread....

FWIW, Ive always enjoyed prison type shows since I love legal issues and law. OZ is one of my all time favs. Was OZ an indoctrination show too just because it was prison related?

dannno
11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Absolutely. The public has a right to view all government operations.

Heh, it's all staged... So I suppose if you want to give Americans a false impression..

dannno
11-10-2008, 04:56 PM

Yep, this is the correct answer.

Gold Star for you

http://www.mingara.com.au/media/gold%20star.jpg

devil21
11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Somehow I doubt many of the people posting on this thread have actually watched Lockup. Indoctrination? LOL. Maybe if their goal is to indoctrinate you into staying the hell outta prison!

pcosmar
11-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Somehow I doubt many of the people posting on this thread have actually watched Lockup. Indoctrination? LOL. Maybe if their goal is to indoctrinate you into staying the hell outta prison!

Yes, Conform or else.

People already know what happens in prison and mainly the type of people already in maximum security prisons.

This is exactly the kind of Propaganda that they want.
Most people have no Idea what goes on inside Prisons, and these shows will NOT show the other side of the story.
They WILL NOT show administration corruption and abuse.
They will not show those that have been wrongly convicted.

They will show you what they want you to see, maybe some truth, but not the whole truth.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/ , 223 EXONERATED to date.
http://www.justicedenied.org/
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-02-11-wrongly-convicted_x.htm
Report: Thousands wrongly convicted each year

WASHINGTON (AP) — Thousands of suspects unable to afford lawyers are wrongly convicted each year because they are pressured to accept guilty pleas or have incompetent attorneys, the American Bar Association says in a report.

You can search on Guard arrested for assault and abuse, You will find many, but those are only the ones that could be proved.
Proving it, Is the real trick. Just like proving ones innocence once convicted.

devil21
11-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Im usually down with conspiracy stuff but yall go too far sometimes. A show that exhibits the truth about being in prison is "Conform or Else" propaganda? Uh, yeah that's what the justice system actually is. Break the law, get caught, go to jail/prison. Don't break the law, don't go to jail/prison. Are you advocating murder and rape pcosmar? Or are you advocating abolishing the penal system and allowing murderers and rapists to be free? Im really not following what your beef with the show is or what you suggest instead. As I posted before, Im not getting into a discussion about corruption or the failures of the penal system as I don't think it was the basis of the thread. Dislike the show for whatever reason but there's nothing unethical about it.

pcosmar
11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Are you advocating murder and rape pcosmar?

Where did I advocate either of these offenses?
I DID NOT
That is a blatant and deliberate twisting and misrepresentation of my position.

Break the law, get caught, go to jail/prison. Don't break the law, don't go to jail/prison.
This is also false.
This is the message that some would present and promote, But is Grossly FALSE.
There are a great many criminals that do not spend any time in prison.Many in Washington.
There are Huge numbers of Innocent people in Prison. Not all, but many. Enough to make your statement false and misleading.
Not all those that are locked up are violent. Murders and rapists share cells with those that did nothing more than write a bad check, shoplift, or have some forbidden plant material.

Yet all are painted with the same broad brush.
http://www.november.org/razorwire/rzold/12/1201.html

Washington, DC - Coming just a week after the Justice Department announced that 1.8 million Americans were behind bars, a new report by the Justice Policy Institute has found that, for the first time, over one million nonviolent offenders were incarcerated in America in 1998.

The study also found that the overwhelming majority of male jail inmates are not incarcerated for a violent offense (82.4%) and have no violent offense history (64%). That is even truer for America's fastest growing inmate population**women. Eighty-five percent of female jail inmates are incarcerated for a nonviolent offense, and 83.1% of female jail inmates have no violent prior offenses. The research corroborated the findings of other studies which have found that African Americans are imprisoned at 8 times the rate of whites, and Hispanics are imprisoned at 3 times the rate of whites. In the 1930s, 75% of the people entering prison were white (reflecting the general demographics of the nation). Today, minority communities represent 70% of all new prison admissions.

And that was an old study, 10 years ago.

devil21
11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
OK, so you are ranting against the prison and justice system. That's fine. I'm no fan of the realities of the system either. However Im still not seeing what about that makes a show about the realities of being incarcerated "unethical"? You did read the original thread starter post right? Seems like you're ranting about something has nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread.

pcosmar
11-11-2008, 08:19 PM
The Question by the OP was , " Do You Think MSNBC's Lock Up Raw is Ethical"
My answer would be no. Making a profit off someone else's misfortune or misery or even stupidity is not "Ethical".
Exploiting them or their situation without compensating them is Un-Ethical.

However,
My comments were directed at some of the comments made, and not the show itself.
I seldom watch TV , and would not be watching "reality" shows anyway. I have only seen a couple trailers. I have seen some other "prison" movies and Documentaries.
Most of them miss the mark.

sevin
11-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Although I believe the public has a right to view government operations, I believe shows like that are just scare tactics to keep the sheep in line.