PDA

View Full Version : Who'll drop out next?

Zydeco
09-08-2007, 02:24 PM
In it for a while:

Paul
Romney
Huckabee (got some traction lately)
Giuliani (got CFR money)
Thompson (just got in)
McCain (warhorse)

Could drop any day:

Hunter
Brownback
Tancredo

I don't think any of these three have gained any traction. Hunter won the Texas poll but it was only delegates allowed to vote, and he'd just spent a couple of weeks there.

I predict Tancredo will drop first, which is too bad because he has a certain degree of integrity.

Kuldebar
09-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Brownback, Hunter* or Tancredo, but probably not til after the first primary.

*forgot about him

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 02:26 PM
In it for a while:

Paul
Romney
Giuliani (got CFR money)
Thompson (just got in)
McCain (warhorse)

Could drop any day:

Hunter
Brownback
Tancredo

I don't think any of these three have gained any traction. Hunter won the Texas poll but it was only delegates allowed to vote, and he'd just spent a couple of weeks there.

I predict Tancredo will drop first, which is too bad because he has a certain degree of integrity.

Brownback may... Tancredo may.. I think Hunter is a stubborn sob

james1906
09-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Brownback's photo of him addressing the empty audience shows it's probably time for him to call it quits.

Tancredo might stay on just so he's given a platform to address illegal immigration, much like how Sharpton and Kucinich stayed on in 2004 so they can discuss their key issues.

Hunter's straw poll win probably gave him enough confidence to stick around. Expect him in for a few more months.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Brownback's photo of him addressing the empty audience shows it's probably time for him to call it quits.

Tancredo might stay on just so he's given a platform to address illegal immigration, much like how Sharpton and Kucinich stayed on in 2004 so they can discuss their key issues.

Hunter's straw poll win probably gave him enough confidence to stick around. Expect him in for a few more months.

Hunter has stated that he is in it for the long haul.

How about... John Cox? LOL The man that takes political whippings from his interviewers

MozoVote
09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
The 3Q fundraising totals being released the first couple of weeks of October may force out a few. Thompson may be sopping up much of the fresh donations right now, and some of these campaigns were about broke even at the end of 2Q.

Kuldebar
09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Just remember we are at that period of time prior to the first primary where candidates can choose to coast a while and wait to see if lightening strikes.

Some of these guys are running for VP.

james1906
09-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Hunter has stated that he is in it for the long haul.

How about... John Cox? LOL The man that takes political whippings from his interviewers

All the candidates say they're in it for the long haul, or in it to win it. Once his funding dries up, he'll say farewell.

Brasil Branco
09-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Brownback, Hunter, and Tancredo will drop out. They don't have enough money to go at it in the long run and they're just about out of the race. Most people know by now that they have no chance of winning whatsoever.

McCain and Huckabee were on the verge of going bankrupt, but oddly enough were the "winners" of the debate. Yeah right. I don't know how enthusiastic their supporters will be with fund raising this quarter, but they'll probably stay in. If Fred has chosen a running mate, than there's really no point for Huckabee unless he's chosen by Romney or Rudy.

quickmike
09-08-2007, 02:38 PM
tancredo will drop out within a month...................... just watch.

wolv275
09-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Brownback got an effective 0% in the fox debate, and i think just to make him look ok they gave him 1%, maybe just rounding it off to the next whole number. My predictions are

- Brownback within a month or two
- Hunter
- Tancredo

with a possibility of Huckabee if he does not get special interest money. I think right now its all about the money, and none of these guys have the funds to keep a well oiled machine going the distance. Unless they just stay to save face.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 02:57 PM
All the candidates say they're in it for the long haul, or in it to win it. Once his funding dries up, he'll say farewell.

well.. hunter has explicitly stated this, but maybe he will...hopefully :D ohh man, that guy makes me want to puke with his "let's go after drug smugglers" rhetoric. There's this jackass on youtube that spams every candidate's youtube videos, with pro-hunter crap.. the man is a protectionist, THAT is a major aspect of isolationism.

John Cox... what's going on with that guy lol Funny name.

I predict Brownback. He has said if he doesn't do well, he will drop out.. it was said during Aimes

Cowlesy
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Brownback will be first. He's about as interesting as the escalator in my office.

MozoVote
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I think the "Who will inherit Pat Robertson's mantle" was not decided in Ames. Brownback will stay in to Iowa if he can afford it. Hunter may continue to take up space until then too, he runs a cheap campaign.

Tancredo is the most likely to leave early, I think. He has marginalized himself with a narrow message and I don't think he has much room to advance.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Brownback will be first. He's about as interesting as the escalator in my office.

there's something I heard about Brownback being a pro-matriarch lol all I know is that there are some feminist groups that support him.

Shink
09-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I'd have to say Brownback will be the first to buckle. Won't miss him. His loss is our gain, read: more debate time for Ron.

Cowlesy
09-08-2007, 03:09 PM
there's something I heard about Brownback being a pro-matriarch lol all I know is that there are some feminist groups that support him.

Feminists should like Ron Paul. I heard Naomi Wolf on Fox'n Friends this morning bringing up the Constitution and how there are factors happening now which will push our society toward a much more tyrannical state.

I think they'd appreciate Ron Paul's statement that we receive our rights from our creator as individuals. Maybe if Brownback drops out his wife can whip him into supporting Ron Paul!

SeanEdwards
09-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm betting on Brownback.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Feminists should like Ron Paul. I heard Naomi Wolf on Fox'n Friends this morning bringing up the Constitution and how there are factors happening now which will push our society toward a much more tyrannical state.

I think they'd appreciate Ron Paul's statement that we receive our rights from our creator as individuals. Maybe if Brownback drops out his wife can whip him into supporting Ron Paul!

lol. well, I have read of people hating Brownback for fighting against fathers... I'm not sure what they're talking about, but I hope he drops out.

Every one should like Ron Paul.. I bet the anarchists love RP after the last debate lol

hmm the guy that laughed at Ron Paul sounded an awful lot like Brownback

constituent
09-08-2007, 03:14 PM
the anarchists probably loved him already.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 03:17 PM
the anarchists probably loved him already.

what's odd is that I never heard RP say he wants to get rid of the CIA, and FBI lol

Kuldebar
09-08-2007, 03:20 PM
what's odd is that I never heard RP say he wants to get rid of the CIA, and FBI lol

I don't think he has, unless we are talking about the 1988 run, perhaps.

This campaign he has simply mentioned that there is a need for the intelligence gathering but not in the way it is currently handled via large murky bureaucratic organizations. I can definitely see a Ron Paul administration completely retooling the alphabet soup mix of such agencies.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't think he has, unless we are talking about the 1988 run, perhaps.

This campaign he has simply mentioned that there is a need for the intelligence gathering but not in the way it is currently handled via large murky bureaucratic organizations. I can definitely see a Ron Paul administration completely retooling the alphabet soup mix of such agencies.

If I were RP, I'd form a "libertarian council" after he's elected, to make daily recommendations about what to do on these matters.

paulitics
09-08-2007, 07:21 PM
McCain

d'anconia
09-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah Brownback will opt out soon enough I'm sure.

And yes, many Anarchists had already supported Ron Paul. I'm an anarcho-capitalist and have been supporting RP for a while. What's interesting though is many a/c aren't willing to vote because they feel voting legitimizes a system that they don't support.

I personally think they have a point.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 08:08 PM

And yes, many Anarchists had already supported Ron Paul. I'm an anarcho-capitalist and have been supporting RP for a while. What's interesting though is many a/c aren't willing to vote because they feel voting legitimizes a system that they don't support.

I'm actually not an a/c, I'm a voluntaryist-anarchist. I believe that an exclusive a/c system would violate people's will, they may want something else!

Shink
09-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Go to http://www.ronpaullibrary.org and search the term "Intelligence." He hasn't backed away from his stance. He seems to want to shrink all the alphabet soup agencies into one streamlined, efficient agency, or to put it in the hands of the military.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Go to http://www.ronpaullibrary.org and search the term "Intelligence." He hasn't backed away from his stance. He seems to want to shrink all the alphabet soup agencies into one streamlined, efficient agency, or to put it in the hands of the military.

well, they made it seem like he just wants to eliminate everything... He believes in reforms.

TheMikael
09-08-2007, 08:31 PM
I think Brownback will go next.

foofighter20x
09-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Tancredo is a good call simply because Colorado law won't allow him to be on their ballot for more than one office at a time. Tancredo will either have to go all-in for Pres or return to his House seat.

Texas law doesn't prohibit this, so Dr Paul is sitting nice. :)

Nathan Hale
09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
In it for a while:

Paul
Romney
Giuliani (got CFR money)
Thompson (just got in)
McCain (warhorse)

Could drop any day:

Hunter
Brownback
Tancredo

Brownback might drop before the first primary if he continues to go nowhere, but Tancredo and Hunter will stick with it until they actually lose a primary.

And then there's the possibility of Huckabee signing on to one of the top tier (possibly McCain) campaigns as the Vice Presidential candidate. He's a young guy, and he knows how great it would be to come out of two terms in office as an Al Gore-style candidate in 2016.

Nathan Hale
09-08-2007, 09:22 PM

I agree that Hunter's straw poll win will give his campaign enough of a bump to ride through the first primaries, which is a real shame, as he was almost surely to quit soon otherwise.

Alas, the same thing happened in IA. Huckabee was on his way out the door if he didn't come in the top three. The IA poll also gave Brownback the boost needed to keep him in the game.

Had everything gone better, the field would be 6 or 7 people right now, instead of 9.

foofighter20x
09-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Dunno about Hunter... I'm thinking he will only go to Iowa again, but only if he can show and substantial fundraising on 15 Oct.

Nathan Hale
09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Tancredo is the most likely to leave early, I think. He has marginalized himself with a narrow message and I don't think he has much room to advance.

I think that the three also-rans (Tancredo, Hunter, and Brownback) aren't actually in it to win it. Maybe Brownback thought he was at the beginning, but he wouldn't still be in the game at this point if he was playing to win. These guys are playing to boost their careers. Maybe Brownback figured out how to turn the exposure into higher speaking fees and book advances, or perhaps a run for Governor of Kansas against sitting Democrat Kathleen Sebelius. Congressmen Tancredo and Hunter are probably hoping to come out of 2010 as Senators Tancredo and Hunter. Tancredo would finally have the name recognition in his state to run for Governor or Senate. As it happens, Democrat Ken Salazar up for re-election to the Senate in 2010. The Governor of Colorado is also a Democrat, though I don't think he's up for re-election so soon, so Tancredo will probably seek the Senate seat in 2010. As for Hunter, well, he tries.

smtwngrl
09-08-2007, 10:22 PM

I was thinking to that, too. That, combined with the fact that he got 0% in the text message poll after the debate.

bbachtung
09-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Hunter's "running" for Secretary of Defense in a Republican administration. He has no Senatorial ambitions (he's giving up his seat in Congress to his son), and he could never make it in a statewide election in California (Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein have a lock on their Senate seats), he works well in a defense-industry dominated San Diego County district.

inibo
09-09-2007, 12:22 AM

If you haven't read this http://www.lewrockwell.com/block/block78.html you might find it interesting.

Personally I was in the voting doesn't matter camp myself. I mean what exactly were the options? Would like red chains or blue? Why bother? Well, for once it really matters.

I was just looking for a quote, which I thought would be somehow appropriate to this topic because even the most thorough-going anarcho-capitalist would have to admit

a government under the U.S. Constitution, to paraphrase columnist Joseph Sobran, would be a radical improvement over the one we have today.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/suprynowicz/suprynowicz47.html

In the process I found the source of the paraphrase here: "How Tyranny Came to America (http://www.sobran.com/articles/tyranny.shtml)"

I have no idea when it was written, but it certainly makes Joseph Sobran appear to be a prophet.

Can we restore the Constitution and recover our freedom? I have no doubt that we can. Like all great reforms, it will take an intelligent, determined effort by many people. I don’t want to sow false optimism.

But the time is ripe for a constitutional counterrevolution. Discontent with the ruling system, as the 1992 Perot vote showed, is deep and widespread among several classes of people: Christians, conservatives, gun owners, taxpayers, and simple believers in honest government all have their reasons. The rulers lack legitimacy and don’t believe in their own power strongly enough to defend it.

The beauty of it is that the people don’t have to invent a new system of government in order to get rid of this one. They only have to restore the one described in the Constitution — the system our government already professes to be upholding. Taken seriously, the Constitution would pose a serious threat to our form of government.

And for just that reason, the ruling parties will be finished as soon as the American people rediscover and awaken their dormant Constitution.

Go read the whole thing and be grateful we are living in these times.

Oh, who do I think is out next? They are all out as far as I'm concerned. It's just a matter of time.

Craig_R
09-09-2007, 12:44 AM
tancredo is going next, followed closely by brownback, then hunter. I also dont think rudy will stay for dinner, he's going nowhere fast-peaked months ago and the more people know about him the more they want to stone him. For all of Freds hype I dont see him doing much better then rudy, and I predict huck will take out the orange mormon. FT will be the deciding factor that gives RP the nom.

McCain will stay till the bitter end broke and supportless, draining only a small number of votes from FT

cjhowe
09-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Tancredo is a good call simply because Colorado law won't allow him to be on their ballot for more than one office at a time. Tancredo will either have to go all-in for Pres or return to his House seat.

Texas law doesn't prohibit this, so Dr Paul is sitting nice. :)

To make matters worse for Tancredo, Colorado bumped up their primary on Friday to February 5th
http://www.ballot-access.org/2007/09/07/colorado-republican-caucus-moved-from-march-to-february-5/

james1906
09-09-2007, 02:34 AM
To make matters worse for Tancredo, Colorado bumped up their primary on Friday to February 5th
http://www.ballot-access.org/2007/09/07/colorado-republican-caucus-moved-from-march-to-february-5/

If that's the case, he'll be gone soon. I like Tancredo as 1 of 435, but I wouldn't want him as president.

american.swan
09-09-2007, 06:03 AM
I think it is possible that after the first few primaries, the only candidates left will be Fred and Dr. Paul. Sure some of the others will want to stay in, but I see this as a possibility.