PDA

View Full Version : No Child Left Behind

InPaulWeTrust
11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Is this program supported by Obama? I know someone who voted on him based on this alone because they are an education major and are completely against the policy and says Obama wants to abolish the law. Any clarifications please? Maybe from the horse's mouth?

Kludge
11-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if The One decided to increase unfunded mandates on education at the federal level. The NCLB Act is a disgusting scourge on education and a significant factor in the Scantron education kids are receiving nowadays.

I encourage people to meet with teachers the year BEFORE they send their kids to the school. Ask the teachers how much bookwork they assign and how they use their books. Especially in history/social studies classes, you should be looking for teachers who teach primarily from their prior knowledge.

The worst teaching trait I've found is teachers who teach almost exclusively with a powerpoint presentation derived from textbook lessons. It's primarily done by teachers in the more difficult science and math courses. If you don't believe a teacher's up to snuff, make certain that when your child gets their first schedule, you go to their counselor and request (or demand) that they be moved to another teacher's class.

InPaulWeTrust
11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if The One decided to increase unfunded mandates on education at the federal level. The NCLB Act is a disgusting scourge on education and a significant factor in the Scantron education kids are receiving nowadays.

I encourage people to meet with teachers the year BEFORE they send their kids to the school. Ask the teachers how much bookwork they assign and how they use their books. Especially in history/social studies classes, you should be looking for teachers who teach primarily from their prior knowledge.

The worst teaching trait I've found is teachers who teach almost exclusively with a powerpoint presentation derived from textbook lessons. It's primarily done by teachers in the more difficult science and math courses. If you don't believe a teacher's up to snuff, make certain that when your child gets their first schedule, you go to their counselor and request (or demand) that they be moved to another teacher's class.

Thanks for the input, and though I agree with you 100%, I am looking for a yes or no answer with possible links or something that backs up the fact that he does or does not support no child left behind.

Kludge
11-09-2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

Barack Obama will reform No Child Left Behind:
Obama and Biden believe teachers should not be forced to spend the academic year preparing students to fill in bubbles on standardized tests and he will improve the assessments used to track student progress to measure readiness for college.

I'd be amazed and thoroughly sheepish if he follows through. (sorry, didn't mean to go so off-topic before)

InPaulWeTrust
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM

Obama and Biden believe teachers should not be forced to spend the academic year preparing students to fill in bubbles on standardized tests and he will improve the assessments used to track student progress to measure readiness for college.

I'd be amazed and thoroughly sheepish if he follows through. (sorry, didn't mean to go so off-topic before)

You're not alone.

lodge939
11-09-2008, 04:41 PM

I'd be amazed and thoroughly sheepish if he follows through. (sorry, didn't mean to go so off-topic before)All that means is he wants different tests

Kludge
11-09-2008, 04:45 PM
All that means is he wants different tests

True, but this means that students will at least need some critical thinking skills which a scantron test generally cannot test for.

I'd like to see an elimination of standardized tests entirely. That would leave it up to colleges to design an admissions test.

InPaulWeTrust
11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I'd like to see the elimination of standardized education altogether, but one can only dream.