PDA

View Full Version : IS Obama Getting rid of Bush's Executive ORders?

Chester Copperpot
11-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Check out this early headline guys.. Im hoping he's going to do something like get rid of some EOs? ANybody else with opinions? Am I looking at it the wrong way?

Meanwhile, Obama's transition chief says the incoming administration is reviewing President Bush's executive orders on stem cell research, oil and gas drilling, and other matters. John Podesta says the idea is that a president can use such orders to move quickly without waiting for Congress to act.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/ap_on_el_pr/obama

coyote_sprit
11-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I saw a video where he said he would get rid of the unconstitutional ones but he voted for PATRIOT Act 2 so I don't trust a damn thing he says when it comes to this topic or any topic for that matter.

WRellim
11-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Check out this early headline guys.. Im hoping he's going to do something like get rid of some EOs? ANybody else with opinions? Am I looking at it the wrong way?

Meanwhile, Obama's transition chief says the incoming administration is reviewing President Bush's executive orders on stem cell research, oil and gas drilling, and other matters. John Podesta says the idea is that a president can use such orders to move quickly without waiting for Congress to act.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/ap_on_el_pr/obama

The quote itself is your answer: the idea is that a president can use such orders to move quickly without waiting for Congress to act.

This means he is looking at Bush's EO's as EXAMPLES of how far he can get away with things... in other words, his team is already planning on and scheming to get whatever they want, however they can.

He'll make Bush look like a piker.

The "old" Obama may have promised to reverse a bunch of Bush's EO's -- but hey, that was before the "crisis" happened on Wall Street!

So, since it's now an "emergency" we can expect him to be more like FDR with the gold confiscation, the bank closings, etc. Heck, I wouldn't put it past him to skip congressional authorization (that can follow up later) and use EO's to place a "freeze" on people's 401K's and IRA's -- at least as far as preventing them from switching mutual funds, cashing-out, etc (because obviously those things all "hurt" the stock market numbers); probably a moratorium/freeze on foreclosures as well.

All courtesy of "King" Obama.

(And the mob will cheer him on.)

Constitution? What Constitution?

Chester Copperpot
11-09-2008, 09:42 AM
The quote itself is your answer: the idea is that a president can use such orders to move quickly without waiting for Congress to act.

This means he is looking at Bush's EO's as EXAMPLES of how far he can get away with things... in other words, his team is already planning on and scheming to get whatever they want, however they can.

The "old" Obama may have promised to reverse a bunch of Bush's EO's -- but hey, that was before the "crisis" happened on Wall Street!

So, since it's now an "emergency" we can expect him to be more like FDR with the gold confiscation, the bank closings, etc. Heck, I wouldn't put it past him to skip congressional authorization (that can follow up later) and use EO's to place a "freeze" on people's 401K's and IRA's -- at least as far as preventing them from switching mutual funds, cashing-out, etc (because obviously those things all "hurt" the stock market numbers); probably a moratorium/freeze on foreclosures as well.

I was also afraid of this possibility. You're probably right.
:bunchies:

tonesforjonesbones
11-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh sure...he will probably nix any of the good ones..like drilling here, etc..but hopefully bush can get those things going before The Komrade takes office...that barstard thinks he is already the president. GO BUSH GO...he's got a few months to save the good things. Nobody is really against stem cell research...any private industry can do it...they just want WE THE TAXPAYERS to pay for their research. That is what Bush stopped with the executive order. tones

Danke
11-09-2008, 10:00 AM

EOs are for the the Executive Branch.

Only sometimes do Executive Orders have the force of law. And that is when they are made in pursuance of certain Acts of Congress. That being only when such Congressional Acts give the President discretionary powers.

Most EOs do not apply to your average American. Of course, the MSM always likes to give that impression though. A very similar situation exists with regard to income taxes and many other so-called "laws."

LibertyEagle
11-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Yup. That's what it sounds like to me too.

Bruno
11-09-2008, 10:14 AM

I agree. And he will also likely use signing statements in that manner as well.

SevenEyedJeff
11-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Executive orders made my one president are passed on to the next one like an inheritance. It's called incremental power grabbing.:bunchies: Bunchies rules!:D

OddballAZ
11-09-2008, 11:50 AM
He probably won't get rid of any of them. If anything he will use them as examples of how he can grab more power.

Then he will use many of the orders Boosh wrote. When people get pissed off and ask where he got the power to do such a thing he will simply say "the previous REPUBLICAN President gave them to me". The liberal left and the liberal right (Neo Cons) will cheer him on at that point.

Monolithic
11-09-2008, 12:57 PM
i like that hes getting rid off those ridiculous ones that restrict stem cell research and abortion rights

WRellim
11-09-2008, 01:12 PM
EOs are for the the Executive Branch.

Only sometimes do Executive Orders have the force of law. And that is when they are made in pursuance of certain Acts of Congress. That being only when such Congressional Acts give the President discretionary powers.

Most EOs do not apply to your average American. Of course, the MSM always likes to give that impression though. A very similar situation exists with regard to income taxes and many other so-called "laws."

Technically you are correct.

But in actual reality, since the executive branch includes like 99% of the federal government (courtesy of Congress handing over virtually ALL of it's powers, and/or refusing to reign in the Exec Branch when it chooses to overstep its prescribed bounds) -- the de facto proof of the matter is that outside of Congress itself, and the goings on within the courtroom of the Supreme Court -- virtually EVERYTHING is possible for the President (and his administration) these days.

Congress exists only to be bullied or bribed into rubber-stamping, and normally ex post facto, the actions of the EB -- so the Legislative Branch has basically been emasculated. (Besides, will a DEMOCRATIC controlled Congress dare to oppose their "messiah" in the form of their DEMOCRATIC President? I think not).

And as far as the courts go, since the DOJ is also a part of the Executive Branch (and as Bush demonstrated, entirely corruptible in a political sense) it basically controls what happens in the Judicial Branch is pretty much subject to the President's whims as well (think "selective" and "discretionary" prosecution).

Face it, the foxes are in charge of the hen-house, and the lunatics have been running the asylum -- for nearly a century now.

He'll basically do whatever the heck he wants -- all he needs is an "emergency" or a "crisis" and everyone will fall over backwards... and in the financial mess, he already has a pre-cooked "crisis" which the current administration's actions have only exacerbated.

King Barry I will do whatever he wants.

RonPaulNewbee
11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Not you, Mono, but all you others sound like idiots. Got Conspiracy?

That said, the one thing I don't like about Obama is his obsession (Newsweek Editor's wording not mine) with Lincoln. I hate fucking Lincoln with his totalitarian inklings. We now know what Lincoln did but how can you claim to know the future? Obama has been clear on having a team undo the signing statements. You can find the Youtube video easiy. He says that's his "FIRST" priority. After that it's the parts of the Patriot Act that's bad for America.

If you dislike the Patriot Act, why don't you list all the items in it (be specific) and then tell us the ones YOU don't like. You assume it's all bad. Have you read it?

Pauls' Revere
11-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Sure get rid of Bush's executive orders and replace them with his own.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama

All weve done is replace one dictator with another.

From the article:

There's a lot that the president can do using his executive authority without waiting for congressional action, and I think we'll see the president do that," Podesta said. "I think that he feels like he has a real mandate for change. We need to get off the course that the Bush administration has set."

"without waiting for congressional action"- yeah like approval.

This two party system has got to go.

RedLightning
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
i like that hes getting rid off those ridiculous ones that restrict stem cell research and abortion rights

Though I think the current ones bush made were bans on federal funding of stem cell research and abortion, something I actually agree with GWB.

Pauls' Revere
11-09-2008, 04:42 PM
WWBD = What Would Bunchie's Do?

tonesforjonesbones
11-09-2008, 05:01 PM
That is the point. Anyone can do stem cell research but bush stopped using OUR TAX DOLLARS TO FUND THE RESEARCH. The Komrade also is going to stop drilling for our own oil...he's a bastard. Tones

Anti Federalist
11-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Not you, Mono, but all you others sound like idiots. Got Conspiracy?

That said, the one thing I don't like about Obama is his obsession (Newsweek Editor's wording not mine) with Lincoln. I hate fucking Lincoln with his totalitarian inklings. We now know what Lincoln did but how can you claim to know the future? Obama has been clear on having a team undo the signing statements. You can find the Youtube video easiy. He says that's his "FIRST" priority. After that it's the parts of the Patriot Act that's bad for America.

If you dislike the Patriot Act, why don't you list all the items in it (be specific) and then tell us the ones YOU don't like. You assume it's all bad. Have you read it?

Yes, I have, in full.

Try Sec. 802 for starters.

Knew it wouldn't be long before the Obama-ites started defending Bush policies and legislation.

Meet the new boss, just the same as the old boss...

Danke
11-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Technically you are correct.

But in actual reality, since the executive branch includes like 99% of the federal government (courtesy of Congress handing over virtually ALL of it's powers, and/or refusing to reign in the Exec Branch when it chooses to overstep its prescribed bounds) -- the de facto proof of the matter is that outside of Congress itself, and the goings on within the courtroom of the Supreme Court -- virtually EVERYTHING is possible for the President (and his administration) these days.

Congress exists only to be bullied or bribed into rubber-stamping, and normally ex post facto, the actions of the EB -- so the Legislative Branch has basically been emasculated. (Besides, will a DEMOCRATIC controlled Congress dare to oppose their "messiah" in the form of their DEMOCRATIC President? I think not).

And as far as the courts go, since the DOJ is also a part of the Executive Branch (and as Bush demonstrated, entirely corruptible in a political sense) it basically controls what happens in the Judicial Branch is pretty much subject to the President's whims as well (think "selective" and "discretionary" prosecution).

Face it, the foxes are in charge of the hen-house, and the lunatics have been running the asylum -- for nearly a century now.

He'll basically do whatever the heck he wants -- all he needs is an "emergency" or a "crisis" and everyone will fall over backwards... and in the financial mess, he already has a pre-cooked "crisis" which the current administration's actions have only exacerbated.

King Barry I will do whatever he wants.

Then you have given up on the "system" so to speak. I am not far behind you.

But I hold out that a lot of patriots have awoken to how it works and are turning the tables against them in our favor. There are a lot of victories out there that are not reported in the MSM.

At last, education is key. The numbers are on our side if we educate people on the true nature of EOs, jurisdiction, etc. We still have a great document called the Constitution, it lies dormant if we don't use it.

Real_CaGeD
11-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Just the "non issues", political footballs.