PDA

View Full Version : I really think its time to move away from the "Google Ron Paul" and "who is ron paul"

krott5333
09-08-2007, 12:14 PM
it gives off the idea that he is a no-namer, and might give people the impression that he doesnt have a chance.

Ron Paul has moved into the top tier. I think its time to just go with "Ron Paul for President" or a slogan, like "Vote pro-freedom, vote ron paul" or something rather.

just my opinion

LibertyEagle
09-08-2007, 12:16 PM
YES. Even if no one knows who he is, it is past time for that.

BW4Paul
09-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I'd say it depends, to an extent, on where you live.

Around these parts, most people still don't know who he is (though we're doing a big chalking and signage blitz on Sunday in an effort to change that!). As such, we still probably need those two slogans.

However, I would certainly agree that there seem to be other areas in the country where a critical mass of people have hear the message. In those cases, I agree that it's time to move on to a new catchphrase. The "Act AS IF" thread posted earlier speaks volumes of truth.

krott5333
09-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd say it depends, to an extent, on where you live.

Around these parts, most people still don't know who he is (though we're doing a big chalking and signage blitz on Sunday in an effort to change that!). As such, we still probably need those two slogans.

However, I would certainly agree that there seem to be other areas in the country where a critical mass of people have hear the message. In those cases, I agree that it's time to move on to a new catchphrase. The "Act AS IF" thread posted earlier speaks volumes of truth.

that was my thread :D

Slugg
09-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Perhaps instead of "Google Ron Paul" it should be.

"Ron Paul is WInning! Find out why!"

stevedasbach
09-08-2007, 12:24 PM
We still have quite a ways to go in building name ID. If an area has already been massively hit with the google and who is signs, then it makes sense to switch to more "presidential" signs. However, I think the google and who is approach is best to start with, and will remain so until RP's poll numbers put him in the MSM "top-tier".

LibertyEagle
09-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Maybe so, but don't you guys think that we need to start doing more than just having a sign up that asks them "Who is Ron Paul"? We need to be TELLING them. It seems to me that we simply must be getting his campaign literature out there, maybe even running ads in our local papers. There are a couple of these already in existence over in the Campaign Material section of this forum (the ones we used in Ames).

It seems to me that we need to bump up what we're doing.

Slugg
09-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Maybe so, but don't you guys think that we need to start doing more than just having a sign up that asks them "Who is Ron Paul"? We need to be TELLING them. It seems to me that we simply must be getting his campaign literature out there, maybe even running ads in our local papers. There are a couple of these already in existence over in the Campaign Material section of this forum (the ones we used in Ames).

Well, I think priority one should be donations to the campaign. If someone hasn't maxed out, give to the campaign before the grassroots stuff (IMO).

Radio ads are cheap, and on the AM they are even cheaper. Perhaps we should run "Please donate" type ads on the classical music stations (hitting up the rich 'cultured' folk). Plus, they are less expensive. Lower listeners, but more targeted (and can run longer).

I also think we should move big-time on the national television commercial week from Oct. 8 - Oct 15. If you haven't heard about this, go to www.operationnh.com and check it out. It's an awesome idea.

You can get a weeks worth of television time for 1,000. That's pretty good.

Those are my thoughts. But donations have to come first IMHO.

Zydeco
09-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I think we've got about two more weeks to roll with "Google Ron Paul," and then we can retire it. The NYC Rooftop thing is awesome.

It's pretty funny how the MSM thinks it can keep claiming Giuliani as the "frontrunner" when he hasn't won a single straw poll, and in most of them he finishes way down the list. He doesn't do very well in the post-debate polls either, and he has no Meetup support.

The only basis for calling him a frontrunner is an outdated reliance on the easily-massaged "scientific" polls, a.k.a. take 50 polls with oddly-phrased questions and release only the one that most closely fits what you know your client is looking for.

The polling industry is a scam, and the internet is killing it.

LibertyEagle
09-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I also think we should move big-time on the national television commercial week from Oct. 8 - Oct 15. If you haven't heard about this, go to www.operationnh.com and check it out. It's an awesome idea.

It's a great idea. If anyone is going to see it however, it needs to be sent out to all the Meetup groups and pronto, if they're going to have the time to raise the money and get everything lined up in time.

Slugg
09-08-2007, 12:36 PM
It's a great idea. If anyone is going to see it however, it needs to be sent out to all the Meetup groups and pronto, if they're going to have the time to raise the money and get everything lined up in time.

My meetup group leader sent it out to all of us. So my meetup knows about it. We'll see how well it works. My wife and I are willing to do a 500 buy, but the minimum is 1,000....so we're hoping the rest of the group ponies up.

Roxi
09-08-2007, 12:38 PM
your getting a little off base here... we don't have to stop doing one thing to move on to another.

there are A LOT of people who don't know who he is. when standing on a street corner with a sign that says ron paul for president or ron paul 2008 etc... about 2 blocks away people are like "who for president?" with google ron paul, people are more apt to remember the name... and the "who is ron paul" gets people curious.

not only that but i have actually heard ron paul supporters say things when trying to tell someone why they should be voting for him that make me want to cover their mouths mid sentence.

we don't need to be trying to get every ron paul supporter to go out and talk to people about why they should vote for ron paul... we need to simply say google ron paul because he sells himself

NOW i am not saying we don't need to also be talking to people about him. im just saying ron paul is not a top tier candidate. because a top tier candidate is a description made up by MSM for a candidate who gets the most media time.

we have a long way to go before all those people without internet who only watch fox news and cnn can drive down the road and see some sign that says ron paul wants to abolish the IRS, and immediately want to vote for him. they will laugh and think riiiight, okay...
but if those people drive down the road and see who is ron paul they might just be curious enough to ask someone

stevedasbach
09-08-2007, 12:41 PM

No sign is adequate to tell people who Ron Paul is. The great thing about the google and who is signs is that they engender curiousity -- people do their own research and discover Ron Paul for themselves.

Agree with the rest of your post about other forms of outreach.

SeanEdwards
09-08-2007, 12:44 PM
"Who is Ron Paul?" is clever in that it is a double-entendre that connects Paul to the philosophy of Ayn Rand.

EvilEngineer
09-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Perhaps instead of "Google Ron Paul" it should be.

"Ron Paul is WInning! Find out why!"

I like that slogan, it shows that he can win, and that we are having an effect.

Corydoras
09-08-2007, 12:52 PM
"Who is Ron Paul?" is clever in that it is a double-entendre that connects Paul to the philosophy of Ayn Rand.

The Objectivist demographic is kind of tapped out already, no?

I think we need to reach out to the more passive voters, the ones who won't bother to look up things online (assuming they even have a computer at home) and who figure "Who Is Ron Paul?" is an ad for a rock band.

It's hard to believe there are people who are genuinely not inquisitive about the world around them, but many, many people are, including some quite intelligent ones. I mean the kind of people who don't ingest information unless it's shoved in their hands, given by word of mouth from their friends, or heard over radio/TV. We need them in our movement, too.

SeanEdwards
09-08-2007, 12:58 PM
The Objectivist demographic is kind of tapped out already, no?

I think we need to reach out to the more passive voters, the ones who won't bother to look up things online (assuming they even have a computer at home) and who figure "Who Is Ron Paul?" is an ad for a rock band.

It's hard to believe there are people who are genuinely not inquisitive about the world around them, but many, many people are, including some quite intelligent ones. I mean the kind of people who don't ingest information unless it's shoved in their hands, given by word of mouth from their friends, or heard over radio/TV. We need them in our movement, too.

What is the objectivist demographic?

I think it's a useful connection to communicate about Paul. It shows that his views come from deep philosophical thinking that has historical precedence. It's like comparing him to the founding fathers. How can his policy positions be kooky, when they arise directly from the great philosophical thinkers of the enlightenment and beyond?

expatriot
09-08-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree with you stevedasbach, You Got this nailed -

No sign is adequate to tell people who Ron Paul is. The great thing about the google and who is signs is that they engender curiousity -- people do their own research and discover Ron Paul for themselves.

Agree with the rest of your post about other forms of outreach.

To discover for themselves outsells being sold every time.
My personal opinion is that this is what feeds some small
portion of the passion we see amongst us all.
Most of us had no one ramming this message down our gullet
on primetime television - we stumbled onto it almost by chance.
And then we decided for ourselves it was right, by our own volition and
absent unrelenting peer pressure, in the clarity of our own privacy.

My only addition would be to say that it's far better for them
to decide for themselves what is important about his message
than for us to tell them what to think.
Anyone who decides for their own self what his relevant positions are
becomes another fanatic - and that's the greatest part of Google Ron Paul.

No doubt it will lose it's necessity some day but we still have a few million
more voters to work on before that moment can be safely declared.

In the meantime there will be those who let others do their thinking for them,
and those we will indeed need to spoonfeed and hold their hands
until they begin to grasp what it is all about.

paulpwns
09-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I love Rand, and I never liked either slogan.

They make us sound weak, and needing a catch phrase to win.

I've never used either slogan.

Corydoras
09-08-2007, 01:12 PM
What is the objectivist demographic?

I think it's a useful connection to communicate about Paul. It shows that his views come from deep philosophical thinking that has historical precedence. It's like comparing him to the founding fathers. How can his policy positions be kooky, when they arise directly from the great philosophical thinkers of the enlightenment and beyond?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivism_%28Ayn_Rand%29
"Objectivism is a philosophy[1][2] developed by Ayn Rand that encompasses positions on metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, politics, and aesthetics.[3]"

I agree that it's one of RP's greatest strengths that he DOES draw on great thinkers like the Founders. But there are an awful lot of people out there who have no respect for the past-- American education is sucky on history. There are an awful lot of voters out there who have only the vaguest idea of anything that happened before 1969, and I don't just mean young people.

One has to know one's audience before praising RP for understanding history, because for a lot of people, history doesn't mean studying the lessons of the past, it means memorizing a bunch of facts as dry as baseball statistics.

I never underestimate the intelligence or resourcefulness of people. I do, however, think that it is very easy to OVERestimate how curious and inquisitive they are. Most people just want to get through the day without collapsing, and it's our job to get them to understand that their futures are in their hands and they DO have to get up off the couch and support Ron Paul or else we WILL have a disaster.

I don't have a lot of nice things to say about Bill Clinton, but he was brilliant to drill into people's heads that song "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow."

So yes, I think that we need to supplement "Google Ron Paul" with "Ron Paul for President."

max
09-08-2007, 01:12 PM
what we NEED is some air cover. It's high time that HQ started running some national TV ads during primetime...and I mean GOOD ads

Corydoras
09-08-2007, 01:17 PM
what we NEED is some air cover. It's high time that HQ started running some national TV ads during primetime...and I mean GOOD ads

Amen to that, brother.

max
09-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Amen to that, brother.

And if those ads are are powerful enough (like Aravoths!)...the cost would be recovered via new donations...

I dont know what the hell they are waiting for...our two main adversaries (The star of Law and Order and Our Savior of 9/11) have UNIVERSAL name recognition.

We have to achieve UNIVERSAL name recongition ASAP.

njandrewg
09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
well my guess people will goolge when they see Ron Paul signs

so just a regular Ron Paul 2008 4 president and the link to his site should be adequate for your regular poster. The problem I see is that some signs don't have the url.

If someone sees 100 Ron Paul signs all over town they'll want to google it.

speciallyblend
09-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Well Once you get national polls to 15% maybe ,until then Who is Ron Paul/Google Ron Paul are great slogans,once you get to 12-15% then mybe until then,really who is Ron Paul,we know but majority americas still dont.i recomment everyone go outside,make a stranger a friend and educate people who ron paul is;)

max
09-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Well Once you get national polls to 15% maybe ,until then Who is Ron Paul/Google Ron Paul are great slogans,once you get to 12-15% then mybe until then,really who is Ron Paul,we know but majority americas still dont.i recomment everyone go outside,make a stranger a friend and educate people who ron paul is;)

we aint got time for linear growth....only prime time TV ads can get the name recongbnition up

cjhowe
09-08-2007, 01:42 PM
What we need is impassioned people to go out and talk to their neighbors about why they are so concerned about our country. Personal responsibility.

Proemio
09-08-2007, 02:40 PM
... we don't have to stop doing one thing to move on to another.

Agreed - especially the "Google Ron Paul" - it's short and it's timeless.

We are not talking about an empty suit with a few (ever changing) sound bites, followed by business as usual. The are tons of substance. Who can claim to be familiar with all of Dr. Paul's record/positions/plans? BTW, The RonPaulLibrary.com (http://www.ronpaullibrary.com/) is also an excellent resource to spread around (flyers/ads).

And yes, it is time to lose the hesitancy: Ron Paul is neither third tier, second tier nor first tier at this stage - he has a tier all to himself. We should adopt the same quiet confidence the good doctor projects himself.

In my view, people should continue to follow their best instincts and keep on pulling these fabulous surprises as individuals or small groups. We all know the goal; there are a million ways to get there. And the best part is, the wet suits have no clue on how to counter it. Let them do the 'expert' and 'focus group' stuff. They have to, because there is no goal, no substance, except trying to win with carefully (expensively) placed smoke and mirrors.

Of course, if someone lives in a neighborhood where every house is plastered with Ron Paul signs, it's probably time to lose the "Who is Ron Paul" banner...

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-08-2007, 02:54 PM
And the "We're not just the internet" chants aren't necessary now either. Everyone knows we have cell phones now too.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Agreed - especially the "Google Ron Paul" - it's short and it's timeless.

Whew! 'Cause it's plastered across the back window of my car.

CasualApathy
09-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Ron Paul needs M-O-N-E-Y

He is preparing to run a nationwide campaign.

Our focus shuld be on getting all the donations we can before the Q3 deadline.

Just listen to the man himself:

"But the media, and everyone else, will be looking at fundraising totals at the end of this month. They'll judge us by how we do. And we need help to wage what we hope will be a full-scale, 50-state campaign. Please help me head into the next quarter fully armed to do battle for freedom, peace and prosperity. Make your most generous contribution https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/. This Revolution is on the move, but it very much needs your support.

Sincerely,

Ron"

specsaregood
09-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I just stood on a street corner across from a fair for 3 hours. Holding my "Who is Ron Paul" sign. Less than 10% know of him, a fair amount recognized the name, but didn't know where they knew the name. Therefore, I conclude that the "Who is Ron Paul" signs are not quite out of date. :(

The "Who Is Ron Paul" signs get people to ask you, "Ok, Who is Ron Paul?" Of course, myself and other meetup group members had literature and were more than happy to answer that question.

P.S. I had a dozen people that said they saw him in the debate the other night, and had quotes such as, "He was the ONLY one different up on that stage. The others were just like Bush." and they considered that a good thing.