PDA

View Full Version : A great resource for making RP's point.

klamath
09-08-2007, 11:09 AM
My brother ran across this and it makes a very effective tool in debating why we need to get out of the middle east. It is the time line of the middle east from the year 1900. I shows how we took over the mess the British and French created there. It also demonstrates how WWI was the biggest root cause of the troubles in the world.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/globalconnections/mideast/timeline/text/time6.html

RP4ME
09-08-2007, 11:26 AM
wel then, please post it ;)

klamath
09-08-2007, 11:47 AM
wel then, please post it ;)

Duh.... That was bright:o

Corydoras
09-08-2007, 12:28 PM
WWI was the biggest root cause of the troubles in the world.

Exactly. WWI, the textbook case of what results from the sort of "entangling foreign alliances" that Ron Paul and the Founding Fathers warned against.

Brandybuck
09-08-2007, 12:36 PM
It's amazing how much bad mojo in the world today is the result of WWI and its principles. The Middle East, the Balkans, the welfare state, fascism, etc.

inibo
09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
This is the heart of the matter in my opinion.

July 1915-March 1916: Britain gains the support of Arabs in World War I after promising independence for Arab states.

While the Ottoman Empire enters the war on Germany's side, the Arabs (led by Sherif Hussein of Mecca) agree to side with the Allies (Britain, France, and Russia). They do so because of an agreement known as the Hussein-McMahon Correspondence in which Britain promises independence to what is now Syria, Palestine (Israel), Jordan, Iraq, and the Arabian Peninsula should the Allies win the war. Unbeknownst to the Arabs, however, Britain also signs the Sykes-Picot Agreement with France later in 1916. This pact, which directly contradicts Hussein-McMahon, details a plan to split up most of the Middle East region between Britain and France should they defeat the Axis powers. Britain makes a third conflicting agreement, the Balfour Declaration. After ousting the Ottomans from both Jerusalem and Baghdad, they promise to support the establishment of a national home for the Jewish people in Palestine.

This would be the quintessential example of Perfidious Albion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfidious_Albion).

Forgetting that British triumphalists always were and always will be the worst enemy of liberty in the west, if not the world, has been an endless source of trouble for the United States. As the old saying goes "With friends like these..."

constituent
09-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Forgetting that British triumphalists always were and always will be the worst enemy of liberty in the west, if not the world, has been an endless source of trouble for the United States. As the old saying goes "With friends like these..."

someone had to say it. thank you inibo.

inibo
09-08-2007, 02:35 PM
And from the plains of Royal Meath

strong men came hurrying through

While Brittania's huns with their long range guns

sailed in through the foggy dew.

Their bravest fell and the requiem bell

rang mournfully and clear

For those who died that Eastertide in the

springing of the year.

While the world did gaze with deep amaze