PDA

View Full Version : The "crazy" factor

wgadget
09-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, many have already called us RP supporters lunatics, and I heard two elderly GOP apparatus women talking about the debate this morning. They were saying he was "crazy" and "a real character."

I'm thinking this would probably be a great time for RP to come across as calm, knowledgeable, and collected, just to break any stereotypes assigned to him.

I guess he'll have a good opportunity for that at the International Studies speech, but I think he ought concentrate on appearing "stately," for lack of a better word.

Ya think?

BW4Paul
09-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Yes, I certainly do agree with you.

I also think that this applies to *us* as well. When RP supporters swear, make threats, or otherwise sound like spoiled children, it reflects badly on Ron. It also makes joining up with Paul campaign a very unappealing prospect for little old ladies, everywhere. We need to start working on behaving as statesmen, as well.

Korey Kaczynski
09-08-2007, 11:11 AM
That's what he did before.

He needs to mix it. People don't respect someone who doesn't get angry, sorry to say. They want someone who gets fired up and lays the smackdown -- which was what Ron Paul did.

Korey Kaczynski
09-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Those two elderly women are morons. That generation seems to have been the worst in American history, even the current one is far more lucid than they are/were, interestingly enough.

wolv275
Not necessarily. I think that stereotype was assigned to him by the neocons, there is nothing crazy about the truth. Unfortunately for allot of people in this country they are so far in the system that it may sound crazy to them hearing a strict constitutionalist, and in order to understand the message more clearly they need to unlearn what they know. A tough job for any elderly person, especially when the MSM tries to make him look that way. Hence majority of his support is from the youth of America.

But i don't believe they are helpless, with a little re-education from some of us that believe in freedom and liberty, we can quickly show them how easy it is to fix most of our problem through a strict interpretation of the constitution.

klamath
Well, many have already called us RP supporters lunatics, and I heard two elderly GOP apparatus women talking about the debate this morning. They were saying he was "crazy" and "a real character."

I'm thinking this would probably be a great time for RP to come across as calm, knowledgeable, and collected, just to break any stereotypes assigned to him.

I guess he'll have a good opportunity for that at the International Studies speech, but I think he ought concentrate on appearing "stately," for lack of a better word.

Ya think?

Ron Paul never comes off as crazy. People call anything the isn't the same as politics as usual crazy

richard1984
09-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Ron Paul never comes off as crazy. People call anything the isn't the same as politics as usual crazy

Yeah. I agree.

Sounds like these ladies get their marching orders from FAUX News and the like.

klamath
09-08-2007, 11:16 AM
When people call him crazy ask them why and then debate them on their answers.

wgadget
09-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Well, whoever said he should mix it up makes sense. One would think that those elderly ladies would be able to empathize with the stress RP had foisted on him from the neocon media during the debate. But then, maybe they're way too far gone.

Guess I'll have to get in there and yuk it up with them at the county fair coming up in a couple of weeks. Be as sweet as sugar, make them wonder what kind of "kooks" the army of RPers really is.

wolv275
09-08-2007, 11:19 AM
When people call him crazy ask them why and then debate them on their answers.

Thats an excellent way to get them to pony up a substantial rebuttal from a meaningless accusation. I don't think you will get much from the ones that watch faux though, maybe a "you young whipper snappers, don't understand anything" :D

Dutch
09-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Right on.

Suppose you're a mainstream couch potatoe.
Suppose you've swallowed what the MSM told you all your life.
Suppose, all out of the blue a guy says we can do without
the CIA, FBI, IRS, Dept of Education, etc, etc. Especially the
way the question was worded in the debate. Like a bomb.

Would you not think that guy is crazy?

By now the name recognition is growing. As mentioned in another thread,
FOX is giving him more airtime than ever. Unless his positions are explained,
which is VERY doubtfull wil happen, his ideas will be seen as crazy by
most people who hear them.

The key, sooner or later, is educating the American voters.

Dutch

Craig_R
09-08-2007, 11:22 AM
at least they're talking about him. maybe it will motivate them to see more of the good Dr. and if they do that they will come to realize THEY are the ones who have been crazy.

Elwar
09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
It's a tried and true tactic to make your enemy appear to be crazy.

Look at any war that we've ever gone into and look at how they first demonize the leader of that country as crazy (such as they are doing now with Iran).

It is used because it works...with the sheep. When someone is called crazy it's time to second guess the accuser, not the accused.

hard@work
09-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Ya think?

We've known this was going to be their attack meme for months now. I think delivering that message is going to be the best way of fighting it.

LibertyEagle
09-08-2007, 11:41 AM

No, he is certainly not crazy. But, he's got to slow down and get a complete thought out. People who do not know him well, have a hard time understanding what he is saying, because he sometimes bounces around, starting a new thought, before he finishes the last sentence. He has to drive home just a few soundbytes. Over and over again. I certainly hope he is working on fine-tuning his message.

wgadget
09-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Liberty, I think you should get on the official campaign staff. You're smart, love RP, and have a great way with words. Seriously.

Shatterhand
09-08-2007, 11:47 AM
No, he is certainly not crazy. But, he's got to slow down and get a complete thought out. People who do not know him well, have a hard time understanding what he is saying, because he sometimes bounces around, starting a new thought, before he finishes the last sentence. He has to drive home just a few soundbytes. Over and over again. I certainly hope he is working on fine-tuning his message.

Look, Dr. Paul only had the luxury of answering questions in a minute or thirty seconds at the debate. Not enough time to correct all the stuff being thrown at him and explain all his ideas . . .

Besides, Ron Paul is a non-conformist. People who are conformists will always think he is crazy, no matter what he says or how he acts. ;)

wgadget
09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm not saying he IS crazy....I'm just thinking maybe he should not be quite as passionate in his delivery? Only every now and then, depending on the audience. I think cool, calm and collected would be great in contrast to Bill O'Reilly, for example.

I realize there was a lot of stress in the debates. He's amazing.

PennCustom4RP
09-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Those two elderly women are morons. That generation seems to have been the worst in American history, even the current one is far more lucid than they are/were, interestingly enough.

You should be careful with your generalizations, it is more than likely that these moronic elderly ladies are of Ron Pauls generation.

apropos
09-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Like Peggy Noonan said the other day, Paul's success has been about the message, not the man. In the past, I think America's problem has been to like the man over the message - style over substance. We are all here because of the message, but millions still prefer what the man looks like or how he sounds over the actual ideas that are being said. We can't change this attitude in any meaningful way before the primaries are held, so it is important for Paul to look and act presidential. He doesn't have to do it all the time, but it would help some 'visualize' Paul as presidential material.

Appearances have doomed many campaigns - Dukakis, Perot, Dole - so there is something to be said for the style aspect of presidential races. Style is what got Clinton elected.

Shatterhand
09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm not saying he IS crazy....I'm just thinking maybe he should not be quite as passionate in his delivery? Only every now and then, depending on the audience. I think cool, calm and collected would be great in contrast to Bill O'Reilly, for example.

I realize there was a lot of stress in the debates. He's amazing.

Hmm . . . I am trying to understand your point of view. Maybe you have a point. There is definitely a place for cool and calm delivery. Dr. Paul delivers cool and calm when he gets interviewed. But I like his passion. If RP wasn't passionate about freedom then there would be no sparkle, no zest.

I think Dr. Paul IS crazy. I think everyone on these forums is crazy. Only crazy people would swim against the stream, do almost anything for freedom while the noncrazy sheep flock together in their pasture.

Bossobass
09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Grandma only wants free prescription drugs, medical care and her social security check every month, all with cost of living increases. She don't give a whip about war, debt, interest rates, inflation, income taxes, gasoline, housing costs, jobs, illegal aliens, foreign policy, NAU, NAFTA, GATT, Real ID Act.

The one common interest may be airline travel, since the police staters have targeted them for their willingness to submit. Every blue hair I know (including my sainted mother) has refused to travel by (or generally dreads the thought of having to) air, due to the harassment they are subjected to in airports.

That's yhe angle I use to wedge myself in the door of the bluehair political conversation.

There is only ONE man running for POTUS who has vowed to restore the freedoms you were born with and have earned the right to retain by your patriotic actions all of your lives. You should not ever be the target of the police state mentality...especially when traveling.

Ron Paul (and no on else) will spend every waking moment of his Presidency fighting to see that you are treated with respect and as an upstanding citizen of the United States, not as a terrorist suspect who needs to have her bags rousted and her toothpaste confiscated.

Bosso

RJB
09-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I had my mother watch the "Stop Dreaming" video on youtube. She said, "he sounds like a radical but I can't argue against anything he said."

She's digesting it. It's hard for people to hear a politician say what has rarely been said since Jefferson, even if they agree as my mom does.

Give these people some time. If they hear the message over and over with a clear and lucid explanation, we'll win them over.

For the future, we all must be constitutional evangelicals. Tell the neighborhood kids about how our right are given to us by God, not the government as spelled out in the constitution.

I worry at times because right now all our hope is Ron Paul. That's a lot of weight for one man. I see very few people who can fill his shoes now, and whether he wins or loses, he will not be with us forever We must make sure we NEVER get to this point again.

WE must become writers, teachers, journalist, parents who indoctrinate the future with the truth as our predecessors have poisoned our minds in the past. Paul's candadicy must be the beginning not the end.

Ninja Homer
09-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Ya think?

People haven't seen real passion and honesty in politics for so long that they don't quite know what to think of it yet.

With the media attention he's currently attracting I think he'll have some opportunities to show his calm, collected, friendly side. We've all seen it in his speech videos, but most of the public hasn't seen that side of him yet.

It's hard to come off as calm and collected in a debate when every person there is against him, and that's about all the public has seen.

expatriot
09-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Being a bit out of step gets a heap more attention
than being a cut-and-paste mannequin.

I like Ron Paul for his aggressive and tenacious temperament,
It represents precisely how I feel about all those puppets
he is fighting on our behalf.

In a 30second response window he gets it just right with
clear enunciation of complete concepts, and that's what counts.

At any rate, let's let Ron Paul be Ron Paul - he's best at being himself.

LibertyEagle
09-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I had my mother watch the "Stop Dreaming" video on youtube. She said, "he sounds like a radical but I can't argue against anything he said."

She's digesting it. It's hard for people to hear a politician say what has rarely been said since Jefferson, even if they agree as my mom does.

[B]Give these people some time. If they hear the message over and over with a

That's right. I hope he makes the opportunity to explain his position on the CIA and FBI. (I'd never heard he wanted to get rid of the FBI before) It's these kinds of things that people don't understand, but would probably agree if he would explain it. Somehow, we've got to find a way to do that.

Things like the Dept. of Education too. That's an easier sell though. But, some people actually believe this is necessary for schools to exist.

McDermit
09-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Watching Republican debates is a weird experience. To me, every other candidate is crazy. And they're all laughing at RP as if HE is crazy. Surreal.