PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul is in the Position to Score the Biggest Upset in Political History

kenc9
09-08-2007, 10:56 AM
With Fred Thompson in the race, there are five contenders for the Republican nomination: Rudy, Fred, McCain, Romney, all pro-war, and Ron Paul. The rest are vanity candidates or are looking to be Vice-President (go figure).
What separates these five is that they are national candidates. Why not Huckabee, who is enjoying a boost from Iowa? Because he’s not a national candidate. If this man cannot project power into the neighboring state of Texas and has to "cut and run" and make a phony excuse that’s he busy, he’s not a national candidate. He cleverly focused his scarce resources in Iowa, an ideal state for his message. Lightning will not strike again for him.

I think it’s too early to write off McCain. He’s still in double digits nationally and he’s a tough old bird with a compelling personal story and lingering media support.

Why is Ron Paul a contender at only three percent? Polls tell us something real but not all that is real. Ron consistently surpasses that number in straw polls and online polls. Both measure a critical factor in the primaries and caucuses that "scientific" polls miss: intensity of support. He draws the largest crowds of any Republican. He is the only Republican candidate who generates actual enthusiasm. Much of the poll strength of the other four is based on name recognition and money. Their significance will fade over time as Ron’s name recognition and treasury grow and their treasuries empty.

Full Story... http://www.newsandpolicy.com/news/2007/09/ron-paul-is-in-the-position-to-score-the-biggest-u.html

njandrewg
09-08-2007, 11:24 AM
agreed....even if only 25% of Republicans are against the war in Iraq...thats already enough to win. Thats the beauty of being the only candidate with the message

Daveforliberty
09-08-2007, 11:55 AM
So we have to work harder. We have to win INDIVIDUAL primaries. Even an average of 25% doesn't guarantee individual primary wins. It's not victory if we look back from the convention with a neocon nominee saying "we had the highest average" or "we got more total votes."

Beware of averages.

wgadget
09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
I think, too, that it's ESSENTIAL that we remind people they will need to vote in the PRIMARIES. Some politically inactive people might not know the process.

In fact, I'm gonna go make a sign that says that. VOTE IN THE PRIMARIES.

Colleen
09-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Yikes, I think he can actually win this thing, here!

risiusj
09-08-2007, 12:03 PM
agreed....even if only 25% of Republicans are against the war in Iraq...thats already enough to win. Thats the beauty of being the only candidate with the message

I was thinking about this earlier. The other candidates could be dishonorable enough to say, "Don't vote for me. Vote for X Pro-War Republican."

Corydoras
09-08-2007, 12:10 PM
We have to win INDIVIDUAL primaries. Even an average of 25% doesn't guarantee individual primary wins.

i agree. Example: Ross Perot's showing in the Electoral College.

inibo
09-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I think, too, that it's ESSENTIAL that we remind people they will need to vote in the PRIMARIES. Some politically inactive people might not know the process.

In fact, I'm gonna go make a sign that says that. VOTE IN THE PRIMARIES.

I have run into at least one person at work who didn't know about primary elections. When I tried to explain the process to him he had a look in his eyes like I was speaking Chinese or something.

billm317
09-08-2007, 12:43 PM
We are lucky about a few things...

- there is no solid neocon candidate
- rudy: pro-choice, not strong on immigration, his smugness doesn't help him
- fred: poor health, flaky on 2nd amendment, many say he's extremely lazy, flip flops
- mitt: wrote the book on flip flopping, bad on taxes
- mccain: totally a non-factor i think. he sounds sooooo rehearsed to me
- huckabee: non-factor again also, i think. i can't see the GOP endorsing him

All five of those guys are fighting for each others votes. It's a double-edge sword for FOXNews. They want to have 5 "main" candidates so that Ron Paul will look less important, but while doing that, they're dicing up the pro-war votes. It's really a lose lose situation for them and we are making incredible ground, but we have to intensify it

it also helps that we're in a time when lots of ppl are fed up w/ the war

I truly believe this is possible, but we're a long ways off from it