PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Huckabee GOP rally

wgadget
09-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Beautiful Saturday morning, held at local airport hangar

Crowd estimated about 130 tops, probably 25% local party apparatus, mostly middle aged and older, a handful of 20-somethings (probably Romney-ites or Fredheads).

Huck gave about a 20 minute speech then took questions. He does have a casual demeanor, and has a big dimple which makes him seem more down-home than the normal politician. He has a quick sense of humor, and he told about three jokes before getting serious about the issues.He came up with a few off the cuff one-liners here and there. He seemed to bring up his small-town, working class upbringing a lot.

Before it started, I sat there listening to the aforementioned party apparatus crowd. I heard two older women talking about the debate, particularly Ron Paul. One says, 'His army is OUT there..." to which the other one says, "He's crazy." First one says, "His army is really out there...," to which the second one says, "He's a character." Then they both go on about how he "always wins." I wonder if they ever wonder WHY his army is out there and he always wins?

Huckabee's speech was rather vague, the typical "I have the experience to solve all America's problems" political speech. The Baptist preacher in him was evident every time he did the Three Points That All Start With the Same Letter thing so commonly found in sermons. He got the most applause when he spoke about being pro-life, and when he spoke about vetoing spending bills.

I took careful notes when he spoke about his run-in with RP. He said that he was "out of line saying that the terror attack on 9/11 was our fault." He said that RP has an "extensive level of naivete" to think this is true., and that he should "read the documents" (?) that say those people only want to kill us. Then he said he has more respect for RP because he spoke out of the courage of his convictions.

Then he went on to say something that still doesn't make any sense to me regarding RP's statement that the GOP will lose elections over the GOP pro-war stance. Something like, "I'm an American more than I'm a Republican," and that he wants to win for America, not the GOP, that we need to stop having divisive right-left, liberal-conservative campaigns, and need to make this a "vertical election." (what?)

I didn't stay to shake his hand, and I noticed there were several others that did the same. Probably other moles. :)

richard1984
09-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Props on your attendance. I don't know if I would have been able to hold back from asking him to clarify his opinions on things like blowback, because he doesn't seem to agree with the leading experts in the field.
I also would have wanted to ask him how it is honorable to perpetuate a descructive, unjust, undeclared war on people who are fighting us largely because we are fighting them.
And I'd love to ask him what he thinks Jesus would do if he were our president. "WWJD, dude?"
What a chump....

james1844
09-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Dude, why didn't you bust out with a Ron Paul sign during Huckabee's speech? That would have been gold.

wgadget
09-08-2007, 11:02 AM
I was in mole mode, taking notes in my handy-dandy notebook. I think that any sign I had on me would be easily detected ahead of time. Besides, I'm not a dude...

In a couple of hours I will transform into RP mode, complete with signage, t-shirt, and lots of flyers to hand out. Downtown Hotlanta. I was thinking it would be cool to pass out bumper stickers as well, a little souvenir expressing our gratitude for them driving past us.

Cowlesy
09-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I was in mole mode, taking notes in my handy-dandy notebook. I think that any sign I had on me would be easily detected ahead of time. Besides, I'm not a dude...

In a couple of hours I will transform into RP mode, complete with signage, t-shirt, and lots of flyers to hand out. Downtown Hotlanta. I was thinking it would be cool to pass out bumper stickers as well, a little souvenir expressing our gratitude for them driving past us.

Dude...great work! :p

TheEvilDetector
09-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Welcome to RPIA.

Hehe j/k

axiomata
09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Then he went on to say something that still doesn't make any sense to me regarding RP's statement that the GOP will lose elections over the GOP pro-war stance. Something like, "I'm an American more than I'm a Republican," and that he wants to win for America, not the GOP, that we need to stop having divisive right-left, liberal-conservative campaigns, and need to make this a "vertical election." (what?)

I think that this part of his speech was in reference to his last line in the debate with Paul. After Paul said that the GOP lost the 2006 elections and will lose the upcoming presidential election due to its foreign policy Huckabee said "Even if we lose elections, we should not lose our honor, and that is more important to the Republican Party."

So it seems he feels that putting America over the GOP is his position and that means supporting the Iraq War for him. Not exactly sure what "vertical election" means, probably simply not left/right.

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2007, 12:38 PM

Great eye-witness report. Wish I could see more like that.

p.s. "Dude" is now a non-gender specific term. If you're really low on vocabulary, “Dude” can even be used on pets, inanimate objects and in place of almost any other word. See the movie “Idiocracy” for examples. ;)

Also reminded me of an old "comedy-metal" song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEr8SYqTc3s

sunny
09-08-2007, 12:47 PM
p.s. "Dude" is now a non-gender specific term.

uh uh, that would be "dudette"!

inibo
09-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Not exactly sure what "vertical election" means, probably simply not left/right.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but he could be referring to the Authoritarian/Libertarian axis on the Political Compass Chart (http://www.politicalcompass.org/test).

BTW, every time I take that test I move further down and further to the right.

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

aunt_shoes
09-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Then he went on to say something that still doesn't make any sense to me regarding RP's statement that the GOP will lose elections over the GOP pro-war stance. Something like, "I'm an American more than I'm a Republican," and that he wants to win for America, not the GOP, that we need to stop having divisive right-left, liberal-conservative campaigns, and need to make this a "vertical election." (what?) :)

He's copying Reagan's famous speech where he said there is no left or right, only up or down (vertical) - more like right and wrong.

catwoman
09-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Wow, only 130 people huh???? WITH the candidate present.

We had 125 RP supporters at the Englewood Labor Parade and we had no candidate present.

The Ron Paul Revolution is marching forward with orders from the Constitution.

jorger
09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
good job dudette =)

catwoman
09-08-2007, 01:51 PM
good job dudette =)

Thanks!!

So I wonder how many females are on this forum? I see a few names that are "girlish" but I'm sure there are more females than I think.

Sorry, that's a bit off topic.

TheEvilDetector
09-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks!!

So I wonder how many females are on this forum? I see a few names that are "girlish" but I'm sure there are more females than I think.

There was a poll about this.

I think it is around 10% or so, but don't take my word for it.

inibo
09-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Smart women are never off topic. :D

RoamZero
09-08-2007, 01:56 PM
I heard two older women talking about the debate, particularly Ron Paul. One says, 'His army is OUT there..." to which the other one says, "He's crazy." First one says, "His army is really out there...," to which the second one says, "He's a character." Then they both go on about how he "always wins."

You should have quipped in response saying something to the effect of "I heard that there are some Ron Paul supporters in this very crowd." :D .

catwoman
09-08-2007, 01:58 PM
There was a poll about this.

I think it is around 10% or so, but don't take my word for it.

Wow, that's less than I expected. I just don't get why more women are interested in politics. My hubby and I have great conversations about politics, law and philosophy. I could talk for hours on those subjects.

catwoman
09-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Smart women are never off topic. :D

That sounds like a compliment. Thanks, I'll take it!! :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D