PDA

View Full Version : What about this scenario for 2012?

Jeremy
11-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Run Johnson... but if we know Palin will run, run Sanford because he would be our only hope against Palin.

Rangeley
11-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Don't you think all of this is a bit early?

Kludge
11-08-2008, 09:09 PM
What if.... We don't run anyone for president and instead focus on no more than five Representative races?

scandinaviany3
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
What if.... We don't run anyone for president and instead focus on no more than five Representative races?

we should focus on talks only now and that candidate(s) should be visiting and talking in iowa a lot off and on so that we can get a pulse of how they are received there. We must be in contension for iowa to win this whole thing.

In the meantime we do need to fight for congressional seats and fund raising.

Kotin
11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
LOL sc.. You sound like the LP :D

Having said that, I think Jesse Ventura should be our backup as an independent.

ArrestPoliticians
11-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Run Johnson... but if we know Palin will run, run Sanford because we would be our only hope against Palin.

At least if sheeple get behind Sanford I will know to put 100% of my efforts supporting Ventura.

Rangeley
11-08-2008, 10:11 PM
its 2009 in 2 months! than another year till 2010, and that's when we should be campaigning the hardest.
Just for a little perspective, 2009 is like 2005, and 2010 is like 2006.

Noone runs for President that early, but imagine if, back in 2005 and 2006, we had gotten involved in our town parties and state parties, attending the state conventions and steering the platform towards small government? Imagine if we were recruiting candidates for, and perhaps even running for office back then spreading our ideas, and maybe even winning? Imagine if we set up college liberty groups back then to help candidates out who stood for our ideals?

Putting aside the fact most of us were too young back then to do much of that, if we did do it, I think it's safe to say by 2007 and 2008 we would have been in a much better position than we were - we wouldn't be total outsiders, unfamiliar with the system and starting from scratch. Rather than focusing on 2012, why don't we do the things that can help get us from here to there?

jrich4rpaul
11-08-2008, 10:12 PM
2010 comes first.

TruthAtLast
11-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Don't you think all of this is a bit early?

it is early but unfortunately our competition are already positioning themselves and the GOP is already making decisions on their platform and who they may support.

We can't make the mistake of waiting until the year before then all of a sudden trying to rally the troops and raise 30 million. It is a lot easier to do it over time.

I agree with several people that this can NOT be our only focus. We MUST also put our effort into realistic chances of gaining Congressional seats. Or even electing liberty candidates to other state positions such as governor.

There is no such thing as too early in politics, especially when we are a hundred years behind our enemy in preparation and infrastructure. In fact, I'm also thinking about 2016 in the event of an Obama re-election and 2020 by grooming and training future candidates now.

scandinaviany3
11-08-2008, 10:21 PM
At least if sheeple get behind Sanford I will know to put 100% of my efforts supporting Ventura.

I thought about him again but then the problem is we saw what happened to guiliani running socially liberal and fiscally conservative...not good at all from within the republican primary process.

Not sure what to do then...he should try...has a heck of a resume but the whole SL and FC adding on top of that the 9/11 thing will cook him alive.

scandinaviany3
11-08-2008, 10:24 PM
it is early but unfortunately our competition are already positioning themselves and the GOP is already making decisions on their platform and who they may support.

We can't make the mistake of waiting until the year before then all of a sudden trying to rally the troops and raise 30 million. It is a lot easier to do it over time.

I agree with several people that this can NOT be our only focus. We MUST also put our effort into realistic chances of gaining Congressional seats. Or even electing liberty candidates to other state positions such as governor.

There is no such thing as too early in politics, especially when we are a hundred years behind our enemy in preparation and infrastructure. In fact, I'm also thinking about 2016 in the event of an Obama re-election and 2020 by grooming and training future candidates now.

Yah every meetup should have its own pac across teh country and members should be putting in like 20 bucks a month so that in 2 years the mass of meetups across teh country will have saved up serious cash to apply to get 20-25 serious races for congress going.

Likewise on the method for running for president in 4 with the other half of that money

HenryKnoxFineBooks
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Gary Johnson speaks very well. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmwvcUaVILg

scandinaviany3
11-08-2008, 10:48 PM
In texas when similar arguements got brought up in senate districts i watched these people get attacked, singled out and not make it to the state convention.

Up to this point we had no division with the others and they supported our ideas...

The moment the legalization for recreation issue of drugs came up...it was lights out...

TruthAtLast
11-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Gary Johnson speaks very well. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmwvcUaVILg

yeah he does seem to communicate his views well. Though he may need to slow down a little. I'm not saying he needs to pause after every two words like Obama but it could lose a lot of people when you rattle off a ton of information and people have to really concentrate to follow. Ron Paul tended to do that a lot, but mostly it seemed like he had to talk as fast as he could because he didn't know how long he'd have before someone cut him off, or when he would get a chance to speak again.

Did anyone else notice the strategy that Obama used in every debate which was to say something like "there are two important issues to discuss regarding this topic... first....."

By starting off telling the moderator that he would be covering two issues, it ensures they would give him enough time to make his point.

Also, if they started to cut Obama off or if he was running LONG on his first point he would always say "and just one more point I'd like to make because I believe it is a really important distinction between us is....." After he says that, he can go on and on for another minute or so.

It is really quite clear how Obama takes over debates by in essence bullying the moderator into thinking that it was always the very next thing he was about to say that would be the most important thing ever. haha

mrchubbs
11-08-2008, 11:15 PM
But But... we're all going to die in December of 2012... so it won't matter anyway.

Just ask the Mayans.

Sorry.

ArrestPoliticians
11-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I thought about him again but then the problem is we saw what happened to guiliani running socially liberal and fiscally conservative...not good at all from within the republican primary process.

Not sure what to do then...he should try...has a heck of a resume but the whole SL and FC adding on top of that the 9/11 thing will cook him alive.

I expect him to run as an Independent. He is not a Republican, and will probably glean more votes from the center and center-left than anything.

Lovecraftian4Paul
11-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll have any idea what things are going to look like or what the people's mood will be until 2010 at earliest. Though Gary Johnson or Jesse Ventura are the only big name liberty people I can think of who would make an impact like Ron Paul did or better.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
11-09-2008, 10:10 AM
But But... we're all going to die in December of 2012... so it won't matter anyway.

Just ask the Mayans.

Sorry.

Duh....the election will be in November 2012....

tonesforjonesbones
11-09-2008, 10:41 AM
We need to be working from the bottom up not the top down. Local , state and our representatives. Congress is more important than the Puppet president. This is a LONG slow process..and we have to be patient. We have to work hard locally...we can do it..but it will take years to turn this around...if we make it that long. I think we should just forget focusing on the president. Tones

Xenophage
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Whenever you are not preparing, someone else is. When you meet him, he will win.

To slightly modify an old kung fu proverb :)

mrchubbs
11-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Duh....the election will be in November 2012....

And what is the inauguration date of the winner in November again?

:)