PDA

View Full Version : A Lesson for the Libertarian Party

qh4dotcom
11-07-2008, 09:05 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/pike9.html

RonPaulFanInGA
11-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Mary Ruwart would have ended up with around the same number of votes...probably less.

qh4dotcom
11-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Mary Ruwart would have ended up without around the same number of votes...probably less.

The article said RP would have endorsed her.

If so many people hadn't written-in Ron Paul's name on the ballot and Barr hadn't snubbed RP, Barr probably would have gotten 1,000,000+ votes.

literatim
11-07-2008, 09:15 PM
The article said RP would have endorsed her.

If so many people hadn't written-in Ron Paul's name on the ballot and Barr hadn't snubbed RP, Barr probably would have gotten 1,000,000+ votes.

He is assuming he would have endorsed her. Ron Paul would have endorsed Barr before the whole fiasco if Baldwin wasn't running.

Carole
11-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Mary Ruwart would have ended up without around the same number of votes...probably less.
It was mentioned in the article:

"Harry Browne understood well in his two presidential campaigns that education is the key to success. He knew he had no chance of winning and he would admit that. His goal was to spread the message of liberty and to teach people how much better off their lives could be without government interference. This point was completely missed by Bob Barr and his supporters."

"The ironic thing is that this could have truly been a breakout year for the Libertarian Party. I don’t want to put words into Ron Paul’s mouth, but I have a feeling that if Mary Ruwart had been the nominee, then she would have received an endorsement from Ron Paul. Either way though, she would have been a perfect place to go for a large number of the approximately 1.2 million people that voted for Ron Paul in the primaries. She would have been a rallying point for the liberty movement, much as Ron Paul was in the primaries. But regardless of the number of supporters and voters she would have received, she would have continued to educate people and had people excited about freedom, just as Ron Paul did in his campaign." (Emphasis mine)

Xenophage
11-07-2008, 10:58 PM
I agree with this article 100%!

Fuck Bob Barr. Bunchies is coming for you. :bunchies:

libertarian4321
11-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Barr was a disaster from day one. He ran a disastrous campaign. He was a jerk. He's probably still largely a neocon.

I refused to vote for him- first time in almost 20 years I haven't voted for the LP candidate.

The LP sold its soul for a "name brand" candidate and it backfired- he got about the same percentage of the vote as Harry Browne did in 2000, and a smaller percentage than Harry Browne did in '96.

If you get the same number of votes, you may as well have an honest libertarian rather than a neocon jerk in sheep's clothing...

surf
11-08-2008, 03:17 PM
I refused to vote for him [Barr] - first time in almost 20 years I haven't voted for the LP candidate.

same here.