PDA

View Full Version : Fred Thompson in SC - Monday Sept 10

MozoVote
09-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Anyone else going? I can tell that both I and jj111 from San Francisco have been contacting all the SC meetup organizers.

I live in Southwest Charlotte and have room for 3 others to ride along, if you can get a day off work in short notice.
-----------------------------------------------------

Monday, September 10
Greenville, SC
Greenville Marriot
One Parkway East
Greenville, SC 29615
8:50 am - Doors Open

Columbia, SC
Doc's Barbeque & Southern Buffet
1601 Shop Road
Columbia, SC 29201
12:50 pm - Doors Open

LibertyEagle
09-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Why would anyone spend time at one of THOMPSON's events, instead of going around elsewhere, handing out Ron Paul literature? I just don't get it.

Kregener
09-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Don't get upset when the Thompson crowd shows up in droves at a Paul rally.

I would avoid any Thompson events.

jj111
09-08-2007, 08:06 AM
I would envision a street rally as close to the event as possible for 1 hour with signs, and handing out flyers to traffic or pedistrians passing by, would be a good use of time. Also, might get picked up by media. This has been picked up by media before. Last article I read mentioned only 4 of Fred supporters showed up at his Salt Lake City rally. If 40 Ron Paul supporters had their own rally at the nearest public property next to Fred's rally, don't you think this would have been mentioned at the bottom of the story, that Ron supporters nearby outnumbered Fred supporters by a huge margin?

jj111
09-08-2007, 08:08 AM

What Thompson crowd?????
What grassroots organization is there for the Thompson crowd?
If you are afraid of blowback, then simply don't go to their rally, simply demonstrate on the street coming up to their rally.

You don't have to disrupt their rally. Simply show numbers near the rally and show the message:

We outnumber the Fredheads by a huge number and we are far better organized.

MozoVote
09-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Wasn't there a situation in Florida a few weeks ago where somebody in a George Washigton costume got air time on the news yelling "RON PAUL!" at a Romney appearance?

Don't be afraid to rabble rouse a bit. Democracy doesn't have to be orderly! :)

I've still got 60 slims left from the Iowa mailings, I hope to hand those out. I bet people going to a Fred speech are not all convinced yet. Heck, it's only September. They're just scoping him out.

princessredtights
09-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Our city is very liberal and also very against the war. Obama came for a fundraiser last night - We decided to make sure the potential Obama voters got the entire view of their potential candidate.

Our meetup group put together a flyer with Obama quotes on the war and also the potential for hitting Iran and Pakistan (adding in a few quotes from Hillary and John Edwards, too) and then on the backside some information from opensecrets.org featuring the top 20 contributors to his campaign.

We had about 10 of us out there - there were thousands of people waiting for about 2 hours - we had a few of us hold our custom made large signs ("who owns YOUR candidate? www.opensecrets.org" and "question US foreign policy" ).

We offered "something to read while they waited" ... ;)

We had some good dialogue and only a couple of flyers were on the ground.

RevolutionSD
09-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Going to the Thompson event is a FANTASTIC idea!
A bunch of us RP supporters went to a Rudy event here in SD a few weeks ago and it was a SMASHING success!
If you can get between 6-10 people holding RP signs in a busy area it's WELL WORTH the effort.

I say every Thompson campaign stop should be filled with RP supporters and their signs.

MozoVote
09-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I think there is more to gain than lose, by attending other candidate's appearances. Just don't be a jerk and end up making RP's campaign look bad.

John of Des Moines
09-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Why would anyone spend time at one of THOMPSON's events, instead of going around elsewhere, handing out Ron Paul literature? I just don't get it.

I disagree. Going to other candidates events are a good ways to 1) get the RP message out and / or 2) cause the potential other candidate supporter to question his/her support of that candidate and who may then a) switch to Paul [very good], b) switch to another candidate [neutral], or c) stay home and not vote [good].

I attended Fred's shindig here in DM the other day (see: http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=16320 ) and if 25% now are questioning their interest in Fred that was a good day for me. Also see http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=16577.

Now, each event of another candidate attended by a Doctor Paul supporter must be geared to the voter who's attended that event. You don't want to pass-out slim jims at a Hillary event since all (okay most all) of her potential supporters are Democrats in their blood so the slim jim with a picture of Reagan on the back is like having giving them a picture of their anti-Christ. so what

Our city is very liberal and also very against the war. Obama came for a fundraiser last night - We decided to make sure the potential Obama voters got the entire view of their potential candidate.

Our meetup group put together a flyer with Obama quotes on the war and also the potential for hitting Iran and Pakistan (adding in a few quotes from Hillary and John Edwards, too) and then on the backside some information from opensecrets.org featuring the top 20 contributors to his campaign.

We had about 10 of us out there - there were thousands of people waiting for about 2 hours - we had a few of us hold our custom made large signs ("who owns YOUR candidate? www.opensecrets.org" and "question US foreign policy" ).

We offered "something to read while they waited" ... ;)

We had some good dialogue and only a couple of flyers were on the ground.
is a perfect chance to hit a group of voters who are likely anti-war and still open to changing their minds.

speciallyblend
09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Multi-task,pass to fredheads and show yourself(hopefully get all meet-ups involved in showing up to any events.Then after event spreadout and make a stranger your friend RON PAUL 2008

MozoVote
09-09-2007, 07:34 AM
bump

Charlotte area people, let me know if you need a ride, nobody has said so yet

MozoVote
09-09-2007, 11:26 AM
bump again. Let's get the best "turn out" we can for Fred! :)

slantedview
09-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I think there is more to gain than lose, by attending other candidate's appearances. Just don't be a jerk and end up making RP's campaign look bad.

agreed. simply offer an alternative view :)

MozoVote
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM
One more bump. Sounds like I'll be driving alone from Charlotte, still time to contact me if you're thinking about it.

So far we have 5 total on the Greenville appearance and 3 for Columbia. Hopefully some local SC lurkers will attend at the last minute.

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/281/calendar/6314243/

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/195/calendar/6325702/

MozoVote
09-10-2007, 03:32 AM
Yawwwnnn :)

Yuck. I normally don't wake up until about 8:00AM.

It does look like we'll at least get a cluster of people at both appearances. Go RP!